Help with email

More
13 years 8 months ago #23529 by spoook
Help with email was created by spoook
FFS! For over a week now, on and off, I have been getting an error msge in Outlook Express.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop3.xtra.co.nz', Server: 'pop3.xtra.co.nz', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I have rung the (haha) help desk each time this happens and been guided through changes to my settings. Some helpers turn things on, others turn them off. All guess work it seems [:(!]
Last night I was guided again, email worked, this morning.... does not work [:(!]
I am sure this is only since Avast! upgraded itself so there could be something in their settings that is stopping me getting my email.
It was suggested this morning, by Help desk level 2, to change to Outlook. Don't like Outlook so suggested Thunderbird. They do not support it but gave me the settings to load.
All my old emails have loaded themselves but when I go to get the current emails sitting in my webmail it asks me for the password, enter it, yes I am getting it right [;)], I am advised ......

Sending of password did not suceed. Mail server pop3.xtra.co.nz responded:Error logging in. Please visit mail.yahoo.com

... which leads me to my web mail that is quite happy with the password I have just used.
So......... what now???
I suppose I could load Outlook just to see if it works ?? (just found it is not that easy....... not a free programme)

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #335042 by Phaedrus
Replied by Phaedrus on topic Help with email

Don't like Outlook so suggested Firefox

I assume you mean Thunderbird. I'd definately stick with that, and definately not use Outlook.

I'd suggest you try the following for your incoming mail in 'Account Settings' -> 'Server Settings' in Thunderbird:

server type: POP mail server (create a new account or change if it's not set to this)

Server name: pop3.xtra.co.nz
Port: 110
User Name: your username - note case sensitivity

Connection security: None
Use secure authentication NOT ticked

Those are the important ones, when you ask it to get mail it should ask for your password. It's important to put it in correctly and with the correct case. If you've got all that as it should be and it still doesn't work then it could well be your anti-virus app that's getting in the way and slowing things down. See if you can disable it for a short time and try again to determine if indeed it's the issue.

P.

More
13 years 8 months ago #335043 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Help with email
Thanks Phaedrus, [:I] have just edited my post to Thunderbird. Will just try your suggestion too.

More
13 years 8 months ago #335047 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Help with email
Try what Phaedrus suggested first Spoook, and I hope that fixes it.

However, if it doesn't, then it really is time that you dumped Xtra's e-mail service and moved to Gmail (as we have talked about before).

Other Xtra customers have had similar problems in the past, and my suspicion is that it's Xtra's mail server to blame, and not Outlook Express. Outlook Express continues to work perfectly for me as it has done for the past 12 or so years.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 8 months ago #335070 by spoook
Did not work :( Now what???

More
13 years 8 months ago #335072 by Phaedrus
Ok, try this:

Start -> Run -> type 'cmd' (assuming you're using W2k or XP).

You should get a black screen with white writing.

Type:

'telnet pop3.xtra.co.nz 110' and hit (don't actually type the apostrophes!).

You should get a welcome prompt, at this type:

'user username' (where obviously username is your, er, username!)

It should say:

+OK password required

Then type:

'pass password' (where again 'password' is your password).

It should then say +OK maildrop ready, x messages .....

If you get this far you can just type 'quit' to get out of it.

Let us know how you go with that and if it fails at any point, this will give an idea as to where the problem lays.

P.

More
13 years 8 months ago #335075 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Help with email
I would disable the evil Avast, and try it again. It wouldn't be the first time it has 'interfered' with mail traffic

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 8 months ago #335077 by spoook
Thanks P..... got to see the "hello", typed in user name
got ... ERR popgate unknown command
tried the whole email address, just incase, same error line. :(

I have stopped Avast from checking the mail but, other than uninstalling (which is on the cards right now), I can't see how to turn it off or exit it for a while.

I am running XP service pack 3 if that makes a diff. By now, I think my settings are so bastarised I will have to start from scratch with a new "account" :(

More
13 years 8 months ago #335078 by spoook
Grant, on searching the net I find this is a worldwide problem, I don't think it is really Xtra's problem / fault. They have gotten me up and running a couple of times but what I can't understand is..... why does it work for a while then pack up???
I do think Avast has a lot to do with it, when I restart something is getting altered to the way IT wants it to be. It has been since I upgraded Avast that I have been having the issue.

More
13 years 8 months ago #335079 by Phaedrus
Spoook, you do need to type 'user spoook' or whatever your Xtra email address username is once you get the response - your complete email address will not work, just the username is all that's needed. The fact that you got the hello though suggests that you've got a path through any firewall to the server ok however.

I wonder whereabouts you are and if perhaps it would be easier to sort this out via telephone, or possibly logging in directly to your machine? Happy to do that if you'd like.

Cheers, P.

More
13 years 8 months ago #335083 by spoook
Thanks again P, I am Hibiscus Coast, I bet you are Waipakamucow[;)]

Got the user name bit passed, saw "OK password required"...... but got
ERR (AUTH) Error logging in. Please visit Yahoo..... then connection lost. :(

More
13 years 8 months ago #335086 by Phaedrus

spoook;322374 wrote: I am Hibiscus Coast, I bet you are Waipakamucow[;)]

Hah, mainlander through and through [^]! Anyway we're getting somewhere here - if you correctly put in 'pass xxxx' (xxxx being your password) and it gave you an authentication error then it suggests you do have a password issue. Be aware that Telecom/Xtra used to separate passwords for email & login names at one time so you may have an issue there. You could ask for it to be reset to something you know for sure but perhaps you've already done that.

Anyway at this point I'd suggest we need to deal with this via PM (since your email doesn't work!) or telephone 'cos I'm probably going to ask for a bit of detail that you may not wish to make public :eek:...

Cheers, P.

More
13 years 8 months ago #335110 by Phaedrus
Spoook: I sent you a PM a little while ago. Let me know if you fix the problem in the meantime, or if you don't get the PM :-)

P.

More
13 years 8 months ago #335123 by spoook
Replied [;)]

More
13 years 8 months ago #335172 by spoook
FFS!!! I have been on this ALL day, not having anything else to do of course..... yeah right!!! [:(!]
I have tried everything except uninstalling Avast..... that was my last resort tonight.
Have been out for a short while, emails did not work before I left, came home to attack it again, I noticed that my webmail tab showed nil unread emails and I know there were some before we left.
Bugger now what has gone wrong?!!! [:0]

Yup, all GONE!!!! Not one email in my webmail [:0]
My Outlook Express is now bulging to the seams, in one of my loading of a new emails account I forgot to tick "leave message on server". Somehow my OE has started working and picked up ALL of my mails, even the old ones I had not deleted.
Well, there's a job I was not planning on.
Shows it was not Avast..... unless there has been an update that has corrected the problem??

Now, can someone explain what the blazes happened??????

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds