Computer help again please

More
13 years 11 months ago #23491 by ronnie
My 9 year old computer has been doing some very annoying things of late and I am not sure if it is the computer or my ISP.

during the morning/early afternoon, everything works as well as it should. Pages load ok, can click between open tabs no problem, can open or close anything without issues.

Then late in the day/early evening it is like it jams up completely.

Takes forever to switch between pages or open tabs and trying to close anything is a real pain - it just seems to jam up. My nightime closedown which used to only take a minute or so now takes at around 10 minutes to close everything down and do its thing.

If I click to close an open tab, it used to be instantanious. Now, it just waits and waits and waits. If I try to force the issue, I have to do a restart as it all jams up. If I leave it to do its thing in its own time, takes at least 5 minutes, then is ok till I try to close down another tab or switch between tabs - at least another 5 minutes.
This is just another annoying thing since upgrading to a 10gb plan

Is this likely to be my computer showing its age?? or an ISP overload sort of problem??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #334689 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Computer help again please
Sounds like its got sundowners dementia... time for a new one Jan!
save all your info NOW, for tomorrow it might be lost.
My laptop takes 15 mins to just start up.. and trying to get more info off it is like getting blood out of a stone, but still possible[yes I have a new one]

More
13 years 11 months ago #334692 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computer help again please
That's very odd Ronnie. At first when you said about it being slow to open tabs during the evening, I thought it sounded like an ISP problem, but there is no way your ISP should cause your PC to be slow to shut down.

I think it is something to do with your hard disk making a lot of retries when it has been running for a few hours. This is pretty much a sure sign that something is very wrong, and you will soon lose all your data.

The first thing I would do is to grab a USB memory stick one morning when it is behaving itself, and make backups of ALL the files you want to keep. At 9 years old, it probably isn't going to be worth fixing, although you could maybe just get the hard disk replaced which would keep it going for a while longer. However, it's also possible that the motherboard is failing, in which case you will be up for a new PC I'm afraid :(

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 11 months ago #334695 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Computer help again please
How much ram do you have in the computer?
What version of windows are you using?
What program are these tabs in?

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 11 months ago #334697 by Stikkibeek
I have a similar problem with mine, but only on odd sites. Mine had a birthday about two years ago, so should be working fine, but every now and then I try to open a new site and have to go away and make a cuppa while I wait for it to download the site. Often this is my email account which in theory should always open easily. (only holding 2% of allocated usage) Could it be that those sites that are so slow to open are undergoing some tweaking by the provider? Or, are they top heavy in pop-ups and other background megapixils which make them slow to load? One of the reasons I use AltaVista as my home page is because of its lack of unnecessary rubbish on the screen.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 11 months ago #334698 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Computer help again please

wyseyes;321927 wrote: How much ram do you have in the computer?
What version of windows are you using?
What program are these tabs in?

Last year I had the amount of ram doubled so I think its 512??
using XP
I must be using IE7 as these tabs became available at the last update.

when I click on the website name in my favourites, I have the option of opening it in the window I am in, or it opens in a new one and puts a tab at the top of the window. I generally have 4 (sometimes 5) open at any one time and flick between them during the day.

More
13 years 11 months ago #334703 by wyseyes
512Mb is the minimum I would recommend for XP. That's for XP alone, not the programs you choose to run on top. These days the makers of programs assume that everyone has more ram, and so they take advantage of it.

You've just updated IE7. IE7 is by Microsoft, a company not known for sleek efficient programming, but for overbloated resource-hungry fault-ridden programs which use more and more memory. And they assume that you've got multitudes of ram to use it in.

From Microsoft -
“Assume that on a computer that is running Windows XP, you have Windows Internet Explorer 7 installed. After you run Internet Explorer 7 for a long time, you notice that system performance gradually decreases. Additionally, Internet Explorer becomes unstable or crashes. If you use Performance Monitor (Perfmon.exe) to monitor Internet Explorer, you see that the Internet Explorer process consumes many virtual bytes,” the company revealed .

First, I'd recommend you get more ram. It isn't too expensive these days, there's lots of it around.
Then, maybe try a different browser. Download Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari. They all have the same features, all have tabs, most have a wide array of addons which can help you in your normal browsing (like AdBlock. This stops the download of graphic ads you don't want, from companies we don't have, wanting you to buy goods and services we can't get).

Also try watching the ram requirements of the browser (start with IE7) in the Task Manager. Hit Ctrl-Shift-Esc, and go to the Processes tab. See what iexplore.exe is using, at the start and throughout the day.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 11 months ago #334707 by GrantK

wyseyes;321935 wrote: 512Mb is the minimum I would recommend for XP. That's for XP alone, not the programs you choose to run on top. These days the makers of programs assume that everyone has more ram, and so they take advantage of it.

I had 512MB of RAM and XP SP3 on my old laptop until a few months ago and it ran fine with IE7, although not much else was running.

wyseyes;321935 wrote: First, I'd recommend you get more ram. It isn't too expensive these days, there's lots of it around.

What about the 10 minutes to shutdown though Wyseyes, that's what concerns me.

Do you really think it is just a lack of RAM issue, and not the beginnings of a hardware fault?

wyseyes;321935 wrote: Then, maybe try a different browser. Download Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari.

Agreed -- a better browser is a very good idea :)

More
13 years 11 months ago #334710 by ronnie
Grant, although the shut down process takes about 10 minutes, it is the individual shutting down of the tabs that takes the time. Once into the shut down icon, it is very quick.

Later in the day, working within each of the tabs is still fine - its just switching between them, or refreshing them that takes ages and closing them down.
I have tried having fewer tabs open, but doesn't seem to make any difference.

the computer has been up and running for about 4 hours so far today and all is working how it should. Just seems to be very late afternoon/evening that causes the issues.

More
13 years 11 months ago #334711 by wyseyes

GrantK;321940 wrote: I had 512MB of RAM and XP SP3 on my old laptop until a few months ago and it ran fine with IE7, although not much else was running.

I'm fairly sure that is all you had, and there were no gremlins on that computer. I'm getting this sneaky suspicion that a third party may be involved in Ronnie's beast.

GrantK;321940 wrote: What about the 10 minutes to shutdown though Wyseyes, that's what concerns me.

That may depend on what else is running, and what isn't closing nicely.
There may well be hidden malware which is causing the whole lot, the slowness, the lack of response etc.

GrantK;321940 wrote: Do you really think it is just a lack of RAM issue, and not the beginnings of a hardware fault?

It may well be either or both, no real way to determine that without getting hands on, and running deep tests.

GrantK;321940 wrote: Agreed -- a better browser is a very good idea :)

Even if to close some of the gaping security faults that riddles IE.

More
13 years 11 months ago #334712 by GrantK

ronnie;321943 wrote: Grant, although the shut down process takes about 10 minutes, it is the individual shutting down of the tabs that takes the time. Once into the shut down icon, it is very quick.

In that case, I think Wyseyes is probably right, it is IE7 causing problems rather than the hardware.

Hopefully with a RAM upgrade, you will be OK again.

I really would suggest you look at a better browser though -- and don't recommend IE8 [xx(]

More
13 years 11 months ago #334713 by wyseyes
Jan, do you leave IE open throughout the day, or do you start and stop it?

More
13 years 11 months ago #334714 by ronnie
Its left running all day and I do a complete shut down at the end of the day which is usually early evening say 8.30 - 9pm ish.

More
13 years 11 months ago #334715 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Computer help again please
had a similar problem here after machine was on for long time period ... found it was the hard drive getting to hot , put a fan in aimed at hard drive ... problem solved ... just a thought :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 11 months ago #334718 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic Computer help again please

wyseyes;321935 wrote:
First, I'd recommend you get more ram. It isn't too expensive these days, there's lots of it around.

I would disagree. The chances are good that a 9 year old PC will be running 128 pin SDRAM. While you can still buy it in a few places it is around $100 per 512MB. Even if it is running early 184 pin DDR1 RAM it is still around $100 per 512MB.

The motherboard probably only has 2 memory slots so upgrading RAM will most probably require replacing the existing memory modules.

A 9 year old PC is going to fail sooner rather than later and the memory that has just been bought cannot be used in a new PC.

If Jan were my client I would be seriously recommending that the money that would be spent on new memory be put towards buying a new PC.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds