Miserable weather

More
13 years 11 months ago #334431 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Miserable weather
It's only 24 June, and I hate winter already. We've had SO much rain this month, I think we're past the year-to-date average by a mile. The long-range forecast in the Canterbury Farming (correct me if I'm wrong, please) was for June to be cooler and DRIER than usual. If this is drier, I would really hate to see wet.

Oh, don't even get me started. Roll on spring, and it had better not be late.
[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #334539 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Miserable weather
I'd like to see dipsh*t next door out there checking his fence lines. As I've mentioned, his 'property doesn't flood'...... yeah well right now he'll need scuba gear cos the tops of his fence posts are creating a wake in the flow of the creek and he'd need a boat to get from his paddock at the back of ours, to his paddock at the side of ours. Our place isn't under water cos we are higher up but it's boggy and wet and the paddocks are going to take a while to dry out. Goats are pi$$ed off, the inside the front of their shelter is all boggy. No point in trying to get more post peelings cos they are out in the yard at the local builder supply store and will be sodden.

I've checked the weather report... more of the same by the looks.

I even went into the red shed late this afternoon to get some PVC pants and wouldn't you know it, by the time I went out to tend to the goats, the rain had stopped.

The road under the railway lines near the A&P grounds in Pukekohe is well under water. I reckon it would be over my head. People have drowned there in the past. When I went past they had road cones closing the road off and a truck with orange flashing lights and a bloke running about was on the other side. With the water up so high, the road looks flat, no dip at all. So dangerous! If you didn't know the road, it would be easy to assume it wasn't that deep. The water would be over a cars roof, even my ute would probably have disappeared!

I'll be surprised if there are no reports of cars planing off the roads.

We had to drive in to the airport last night and with all the roadworks and the bright lights they were using on the work areas and trucks with orange flashing lights, you couldn't see the road, road markings were non existant with the amount of reflection coming off the wet surfaces. A nightmare!

I'm not going anywhere unless I have to, especially at night. You can't see squat if cars are coming towards you with their lights on.

Yakut

More
13 years 11 months ago #334544 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Miserable weather
Yakut is not kidding! I have lived on my road for 22 years and my dam which borders the road has never overflowed onto the road - but it did today. I rang the Council feeling quite weird and suggested that if they had any flood signs available it would be a good idea for here. I then went out to drinkies down the road and found two more "new" flood spots on the road that I had never seen before. I have photographs of previous floods ( 3 biggies in 22 years) but never in these spots.

Ok. Enough is enough. Go away rain and come another day - but hopefully lighter and less invasive than today has been!

More
13 years 11 months ago #334550 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Miserable weather
I went to reply at 00.15 this morn and the power went off for an hour.. at that time it was heavy rain, but eased off to a lovely sunny morn but we are now in a thick blanket of fog.
Hope those on the rain band track dont have too many puddles and lakes this morning

More
13 years 11 months ago #334563 by Westie
Replied by Westie on topic Miserable weather
20 hours of pretty much constant rain on Thursday into Friday mid morning.
I really fluked doing all my roofing repairs last week because that was a really extensive test. The river at the back is now a massive wetland. Thank goodness I'm on a ridge.
:)
Drove back to Auckland Friday night in the most miserable conditions, hit a flood in Glen Murray Rd so deep the ute cut out completely, it was like a whale doing a belly flop into a paddling pool. Then got to about Meremere and it was nice and fine:rolleyes:

Here's a gratitous flooding pic from Friday morning...we love seeing them eh?

What's that I just stepped in?

More
13 years 11 months ago #334566 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Miserable weather
just think free fert as long as it goes down in the next 3 days

More
13 years 11 months ago #334588 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Miserable weather
There's a little Christmas tree farm on the road I take to work. Yesterday it was under a sheet of surface flooding and all the trees looked pretty with their reflections in the flood.
They will probably put on a big spurt of growth and be robust trees come the end of the year. The chooks spent the day sheltering on the verandah, bless their scaly legs. What a mess they left to clean up. They could have used their coop, but it seems they left that to the sparrows instead.

Thankfully today is totally unrelated to yesterday and there are five loads of washing almost dry on the line. It got to about 20º here in our little eco climate, today, but is dropping now. Time to light the fire.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds