Diesel smell in washing machine

• Andrea
12 years 1 week ago #23451 by Andrea
Diesel smell in washing machine was created by Andrea
How can I get rid of it???? DH was a bit clumsy the other day, and I've rinsed the clothes once and then washed twice. The smell is in all the clothes still as well as in the machine. I hate to wash anything else, but I'm behind on the wash again... what can I use to get rid of the smell? I've used vinegar in all the rinse cycles so far. The clothes have been on the line in the sun and breeze all day, but still reek....[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #334124 by FencerMan
Forget the vinegar...Lots of washing powder, a bit of dishwashing liquid, and HOT wash, needs to be HOT!

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
12 years 1 week ago #334135 by Andrea1
Thanks FM -- will that help get the smell out of the clothes as well? It's a front loader... I thought dishwashing liquid was a no-no for them??

More
12 years 1 week ago #334141 by FencerMan
Not sure if it will get it out of the clothes...What washing powder are you using? Got to admit I have always just thrown my overalls in the machine and never had a problem with residue being left in the machine...

Just a couple drops of dishwashing liquid, just to make it slightly more foamy than usual, which will hopefully help break the residue through the pump and pipes etc.

However I have only ever used top loaders as well...You call, your responsibility :) lol

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
12 years 1 week ago #334142 by Kiwi303
A bar of sunlight soap in with the was has worked for me in the past. these days I soak the diesel patches of clothes/overalls with a hydrocarbon specific de-greaser from Supercheap auto before they go in the wash, so no diesel smell after a normal wash :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 1 week ago #334158 by kaponga
Me? I use Napisan; lots and lots of Napisan. Can't speak whether it works for diesel, but grease and hydraulic oil, gone. And trust me, hydraulic oil has its own distinctive persistent odour. Warm wash though; cold just leaves powder marks.:rolleyes:

More
12 years 1 week ago #334254 by jeannielea
Some Baking Soda in the wash water might help get rid of the smell in both machine and clothes

More
12 years 1 week ago #334269 by Andrea1
The hot water and suds worked a treat for getting the smell out of the machine, and then I washed the clothes that had the smell with laundry soap with added washing soda, and smell all gone.

Thanks!

More
12 years 1 week ago #334286 by Stikkibeek

Kiwi303;321302 wrote: A bar of sunlight soap in with the was has worked for me in the past. these days I soak the diesel patches of clothes/overalls with a hydrocarbon specific de-greaser from Supercheap auto before they go in the wash, so no diesel smell after a normal wash :D

You're not that guy who lost his job because his overall were too clean were you??? :D

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds