Honey still in Frame

More
13 years 8 months ago #23320 by Ronney
Honey still in Frame was created by Ronney
Kevin came home tonight with a frame full of honey and asked me what one does with it. I said "Ummmmm........." and it is now sitting in the downstairs fridge. I would imagine one just cuts it up carefully and eats it as honey in the comb? If wanting to separate the honey from the wax, how do you go about it. I don't like honey but I did stick my finger in it and if I liked honey, would have gone ga-ga over this stuff - the real McCoy Manuka honey.

From me, this is a ridiculous question as my first husband kept bees but I had nothing to do with them. I must have seen him deal with the frames as we always had jars of honey but my memory of it is a complete blank.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #332645 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Honey still in Frame
I'd eat it as honey in the comb as that's a whole lot less work, but that's me and my taste buds. Without an extractor, I think you have to knock/cut the caps off and drip it out over something big enough to accommodate the frame. Like an oven dish. You'd have to warm it up a bit, as it wouldn't run otherwise. Then you can beat it to make it like solid honey, or leave it runny.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 8 months ago #332649 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Honey still in Frame
Thanks Stikki, that seems a commonsense way of dealing with it. :)

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 8 months ago #332650 by OakhengeFarm
Replied by OakhengeFarm on topic Honey still in Frame
If you don't have an extractor, the best extraction method is "crush and filter". Basically, dump the comb and honey in a big bucket and smash it up. Then pour the resulting mess through muslin into another bucket (let it drip through overnight)

Watch the process at

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
13 years 8 months ago #332654 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Honey still in Frame
Manuka honey is viscous until it's agitated, I think, so it may not drip well at all. Which is of no help as a comment, I realise. Hold the frame, spin around and around in the kitchen, then lick it off the cupboard doors!

More
13 years 8 months ago #332659 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Honey still in Frame
Go to bed Isla.. but sounds a good idea, of course Ronnie could save it for the next LSB gettogether, then spin it with everyone standing around.. you could drill a hole and fit the B&D drill to it for a good spinner [of a yarn]

More
13 years 8 months ago #332660 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Honey still in Frame
Beedee, that's shocking! Do you mean lick it off a whole lot of LSBers she's only just met? What sort of site do you think this is?[:0][}:)]

More
13 years 8 months ago #332667 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Honey still in Frame
Back to the actual problem, I happened to see on the telly at some stage recently (no idea when, or why, or what programme it was on).

Anyway, they had a frame of Honey and the exact same question was asked - how it get it from there to the jar.

I seem to recall it went along the lines of - run a knife down the frame to cut off the wax. You would need to do this on both sides. Once that was done, it was left to drip out into a container. Sounded very easy and logical.

Or the other option was apparently to give it back to the bees and they would clean it off the frame for you.

More
13 years 8 months ago #332676 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Honey still in Frame
This was on Victorian Farm last week.

Yes slice the caps of with a warm knife, then allow to drain away.
The fast way is to spin - they had a couple of victorian contraptions that did the job.
I don't like the wax in my honey so I would strain through muslin.
Otherwise contact the local beekeepers club and ask them to extract it for you. [;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 8 months ago #332687 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Honey still in Frame
With all the bee diseases these days, I think you would be lucky to get a beekeeper to do it for you. What we used to do before we had an extractor was to run a special tool meant for pricking through all the wax on one side only (it's like a mini hay fork with VERY sharp pointy
tines, but you could do similar with a fork), and then stand up the frame in a clean 20L bucket in a warm place or with a 40w lightbulb in the bucket for warmth. It can take a couple of days for the honey to run out this way. Don't overheat it, as you don't want to cook the honey, but right around blood temp is good. Not as efficient as the spinning process, but still get a good amount of honey that way.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
13 years 8 months ago #332701 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Honey still in Frame
One of my great-uncles was a commercial beekeeper, and when he retired I got given a set of 6 hives in lieu of the usual kids pet of a dog!

those decapping forks are a pain in the arse, much easier to get a long thin filleting or boning knife, or in a pinch a bread knife, find a tall pot that can hold the entire blade under water but keep the handle out of the water, and brin g the pot of water to a gentle simmer with the knife blade immersed. The hot blade slices through the wax caps like a hot knife through butter :D

then just place the frame over a baking dish in the oven while it's still warm, but no longer hot, after baking. A perfect excuse for you to run up a lot of biscuits :D

Repeat with the other side of the frame when the first side is drained out.

Dad worked at MAF Ruakura before he died, so we used the MAF/AgResearch apiculture research units extracting gear. The 4 frame manual spinner extractors were just the right size to give a late primary school/early secondary school kid a good workout cranking the handle :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 8 months ago #332777 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Honey still in Frame
Our first honey harvest was just cut up into soap bar sized chunks and squeezed out by hand. I've never had such healthy and smooth skin on my hands as after that exercise. We used a sieve with fairly large holes to filter out the wax bits. I find muslin a pain - in - the - a..e to be honest. It may work with very runny honey but not with any honey at this time of year I'd say.

Kiwi - I used a thermos flask filled with boiling water to heat up the knife. Worked a treat for decapping once we had an extractor.

More
13 years 8 months ago #332790 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Honey still in Frame
AS kids we loved to get the honey in the comb to eat.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 8 months ago #332802 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Honey still in Frame
There is some daft contraption in my barn for extracting honey - left by the ex - that looks like an old tub washing machine if anyone wants it. Absolutely NO idea how it works and claim no responsibility for disasters. Free to a crazy home!

More
13 years 8 months ago #332815 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Honey still in Frame

DiDi;319833 wrote: There is some daft contraption in my barn for extracting honey - left by the ex - that looks like an old tub washing machine if anyone wants it. Absolutely NO idea how it works and claim no responsibility for disasters. Free to a crazy home!

Daymn... I'm crazy and I'd love to have it in MY barn :P If I'd known about that on my jaunt around the north island last month I would have been there in a flash!

I don't think it would take long to get rid of it now people on here know of it :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds