Firefox Help Please

More
14 years 1 week ago #23301 by Simkin
Firefox Help Please was created by Simkin
I downloaded the new version of Firefox (that version was new a long time ago but I didn't download it until recently) onto the harddrive which uses Windows.

Now the cursor disappears every half minute for 20 seconds and the computer is completely unresponsive. I still can type but I can't see it until it suddenly appears. I'm writing this here in Linux where Firefox works just fine. Are there settings I can change? Or can I switch off some kind of function like Windows Update to make that nuissance go away again?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #332322 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Firefox Help Please
Which websites do you have open in Firefox Simkin?

I have found that the MetService website occasionally causes Firefox to miss a few characters and then it suddenly catches up when I am typing fast. Never for anything like 20 seconds though, only for 2 or 3 seconds at the most. It doesn't happen very often, but if I experience it, I just close the tab with the MetService website. I think it's because of all the flash adverts and videoclips they run on some pages of the site.

I also use Firefox on Windows 7 and have never experienced this problem there, only on Windows XP.

If you can list the tabs you have open in Firefox, and tell me which version of Windows, that would help.

Are you running V3.6.3 of Firefox?

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 1 week ago #332327 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Firefox Help Please
Hi Grant,

I've only got the LSB forum open at the moment and am experiencing this problem. I'm using Windows XP. What you describe is exactly what I'm experiencing but it misses 20 to 30 characters easily before it catches up. This does not mean that I'm a fast typer.

How do I find out which version of Firefox I'm running?

More
14 years 1 week ago #332328 by xevbellringer
Replied by xevbellringer on topic Firefox Help Please
Try turning off "automatically check for updates" in firefox - under tools/options/advanced/update, then restart. I had a similar problem where the CPU would go to 100% & everything would freeze every 35 seconds - looked great on the Task Manager/Performance graph :)

More
14 years 1 week ago #332330 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Firefox Help Please

Simkin;319314 wrote: How do I find out which version of Firefox I'm running?

Click on Help, then "About Mozilla Firefox".

It sounds like Xevbellringer may have hit on something there; give it a try.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 1 week ago #332338 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Firefox Help Please
Many thanks, Grant and xevbellringer,

it could well be the 'automatically check for updates'. I'm in Linux at the moment but will go to Windows soon to try it out. And yes - the taskmanager shows 100% usage when I'm doing nothing.

More
14 years 1 week ago #332436 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Firefox Help Please
I see in the url bar there's an orange icon for an RSS feed...if you hover your mouse over it it says "subscribe to this page"...an RSS feed automatically loads updates to that page I think (its often used for stuff like newspaper headlines etc, where you can have the info appear withou having to go to the page for an update)

Did you click that at some point? i've never clicked on it so I'm not sure where yo're look. I think it might put a link to the feed it in the toolbar somewhere....its not the same as a bookmark

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds