Delays in receiving texts - anyone else???

More
13 years 11 months ago #23289 by reggit
I am on Telecom, neighbour is on Vodafone. Texted her Saturday morning, she didn't get text until Monday afternoon. She texted me back Monday afternoon. I didn't get text until this morning.

Then three other texts arrive, all from non-Telecom providers, all from start of weekend.

One was a 'cry for help' text from a friend who is looking after a terminally ill mother at home. :(:(:(:( I only got that this morning too, and no idea when it was sent...

Anyone else having probs with this? I know two of these folk are vodefone and one is (I think) 2 degrees (022 number)

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #332204 by BillyTheTractor
yes!
not me as I dont have a mobile phone, but my DH has been complaining of this recently too - a lot! one text arrived 2 days after it was received. He needs his phone for on call stuff when people have toothache - its really bad if he doesnt answer for a day and the person has been suffering.
he's on vodafone

Wee Farm

More
13 years 11 months ago #332210 by Isla
We deal with "slow text days" as a matter of course. Fortunately my phone has a "receipt" function, which tells me when the message has been received by the other phone - if it's also on the Tcom network - so if it doesn't beep, it hasn't been received, and if it's urgent, I have to find some other means of contacting the intended recipient of my message. It's annoying when I get a text telling me someone's running late, about an hour after they've arrived an hour late!

More
13 years 11 months ago #332211 by Organix
Texts are transmitted via a carrier signal which is a necessity for the phone companies but essentially cost them nothing, for which they then charge their customers to use. The catch is that customers' texts are sent as lowest priority after all the phone company's traffic so delays are only to be expected if for example maintenance is being done on the network.

For this reason it should never be assumed that a text has been sent, or received, and if a message is of significant importance make a voice call or at least request a confirmation of receipt :cool:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 11 months ago #332214 by Xartep
I have noticed that holiday weekends are the worst for some reason.

My basic rule is "if its important/urgent ring" a quick phone call doesn't cost much when weighed up against not getting the help you need and feeling like you have been ignored.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 11 months ago #332216 by ruralkeeper
Yes - problem with 2degrees. I haven't been impressed with their service at all compared to Vodafone. I often get texts at least a day or two later than when they are sent. I hardly use my phone so I haven't bothered moving away from them, but I noticed it almost straight away when I started to use them. So I continue to use them knowing I can't rely on their service. That's been my experience with them over the last nearly 12 months. Not good.

More
13 years 11 months ago #332218 by Organix
I suspect that the 2Degrees text delays may be due to them 'piggy backing' on the other networks so that effectively their texts would be a further level of priority below the the networks' operational traffic, then Telescum/Vodafone customers' texts, ....
Unfair competition from the big boys or expected business practice :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 11 months ago #332225 by Kiwi303
I find it happens all the time, in one case my brother had my van in Chch and texted one night asking if he could put a towball on, showed up 2 days later with the van equipped with a towbar and dragging a caravan behind. The texts got there that night...

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 11 months ago #332234 by arnie.m
Instant receiving and sending between Ch Ch and Nelson and stops in between all day yesterday with 2degrees, So many texts because SWSBO did not believe we had calm, fine and clear day with 19c here while she was driving thru almost blizzard conditions[8D][8D]

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
13 years 11 months ago #332686 by ruralkeeper
That's good to know. I will persist with them, 2 deg I mean.

I like Organix bastardisation of our former state provider i.e. Telescum. I always laughed back before telephone banking when my husband would right on the cheques Telecon.
Such irreverence for our corporate giants[;)]

More
13 years 11 months ago #332691 by Georgeboy
Yep, it happens all the time.......Telecon to Telecon...random delays so you never do know, what i hate is receiving texts just after midnight that were sent during the day! i believe they have a clean out of all the ones that failed to get through around this time.

2x white Galloway steers, 6 Hens, 3 x Rhodesian Ridgebacks, 1x Boarder Collie and 2 x Cats.......500 Possums!:rolleyes:

More
13 years 11 months ago #332776 by GrantK
I sent a couple of TXTs yesterday and the day before and got no reply: 2D to Vodafone.

In light of this thread, I was a bit worried, but it turned out that my sister hadn't answered them because she hadn't gotten around to discussing the subject of the TXTs with her husband yet (in spite of my asking for confirmation that the second TXT had been received) :rolleyes:

You can't blame the technology when humans at the other end don't behave as expected. I sent another TXT to a different family member also on Vodafone and got an immediate reply.

So ... definitely nothing wrong with 2D or Vodafone's handling of TXTs in this part of the country.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 11 months ago #332799 by DiDi
Vodafone had an outage this morning with pre paid mobile. Not sure what the reason was and if that is all it covered but just to let you know.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds