Gulf of Mexico events

More
14 years 1 week ago #23244 by Organix
For those with sufficient bandwidth this link is a unique opportunity to observe what ROVs (remote operted vehicles) such as the one that 'found' the Titanic, do in the offshore oil industry. What you are seeing is the same live camera feed that the ROV operator is using to 'fly' the ROV. The operators 'fly' these vehicles by way of a joystick and have to consider the effects of currents, surrounding structures, the vehicle's umbilical, the occasional fish or whale and in this case escaping oil. In brief, they earn the big dollars for a reason.

Also for those that missed it Wednesday night's 60 Minutes was a very enlightening, and damning for BP, exposay of the events that lead to the current situation. This event will be disasterous for both BP and the Gulf of Mexico :(

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331769 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Gulf of Mexico events
Certainly BP's behaviour immediately after the event (pressure on the guys who escaped the burning rig to sign disclaimers, pressure on locals who wanted to help to also sign disclaimers before they were allowed to, etc) does them no credit.

I can't believe that oil companies collectively haven't developed emergency technology to collect/separate oil from seawater by now...how many years ago was the Exxon Valdez? Something like this was going to happen sooner or later...:(

How fortunate that we are now looking at allowing offshore over BOP way...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331772 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Gulf of Mexico events
The 60 Minutes story is absolutely damning of BP and its contractors in their blase' attitute to a series of events that should have set alarm bells well before the explosion that started the current disaster. The electronic tech's story was chilling to me, having worked on the rigs, and oh so typical of safety being given lip service when delays and cost overruns take priority. If the manual had been followed this event would have been averted - simple as that I'm certain.

"Safety First", so long as it doesn't hamper production :rolleyes:

The scarey thing about the Petrobas licence granting is that the might of the US is struggling to rein in BP on this one, but if the same type of event was to happen in our waters our government doesn't have the power or the b*lls to do squat. The liable company would likely walk away from their responsibilities :(

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331774 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Gulf of Mexico events
I was surprised at reports that instead of hitting the rig equivalent of the emergency stop button to close off the pumping when it all went pear-shaped, staff were waiting to get bosses' approval...so that opportunity was lost.

Interesting comments in one article about it that the government themselves don't have the expertise to tackle something like this so have to rely on the companies that created the problem in the first place.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331776 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Gulf of Mexico events

tigger;318698 wrote: .....
Interesting comments in one article about it that the government themselves don't have the expertise to tackle something like this so have to rely on the companies that created the problem in the first place.

Cutting edge technology in a very specialised field, particularly at those depths, but also keep in mind that as soon as others are used to work on the problem it gives BP an opportunity to shift responsibility :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331778 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Gulf of Mexico events
I also felt that - as it was portrayed in the 60 minutes report - BP now wants to put the blame on the company that built the rig. Assuming that this is a small company - if BP succeeds it would mean that this company would have to declare bankruptcy and BP could just walk away, leaving the affected people and the American taxpayer to pick up the pieces.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331783 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Gulf of Mexico events

Organix;318700 wrote: Cutting edge technology in a very specialised field, particularly at those depths, but also keep in mind that as soon as others are used to work on the problem it gives BP an opportunity to shift responsibility :rolleyes:


Yes, but does worry me that that also means that they can pull the wool and there is no neutral party to call their bluff amongst the 'enforcement agencies'...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331784 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Gulf of Mexico events
Just be careful with these reports 60mins wants ratings not always the whole true same as any news reporters

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331785 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Gulf of Mexico events

sod;318708 wrote: Just be careful with these reports 60mins wants ratings not always the whole true same as any news reporters


True, but there are enough reports coming out from a wide range of sources that are pretty consistent. Bottom line is the damn thing is still leaking and there is no end in sight in the short term at least. Scary.

What worries me is how many more offshore rigs there are with similar problems in the wings...I heard (but can't remember exactly) an astonishing figure for how many rigs there are just in the gulf of Mexico. How many BP ones alone - that presumably are fitted with same/similar parts from same companies...?

In an ideal world, technology for cleanups would have been developed at the same time as the technology to drill underwater, instead of adopting an 'it will never fail' approach. Such as they did with the Titanic [}:)]:(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331786 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Gulf of Mexico events

sod;318708 wrote: Just be careful with these reports 60mins wants ratings not always the whole true same as any news reporters

With what's at stake here I'm sure 60 Minutes will have their story proven or BP would blow them out of the water in court :cool:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331788 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Gulf of Mexico events

tigger;318710 wrote: True, but there are enough reports coming out from a wide range of sources that are pretty consistent. Bottom line is the damn thing is still leaking and there is no end in sight in the short term at least. Scary.

What worries me is how many more offshore rigs there are with similar problems in the wings...I heard (but can't remember exactly) an astonishing figure for how many rigs there are just in the gulf of Mexico. How many BP ones alone - that presumably are fitted with same/similar parts from same companies...?

Don't confuse drilling rigs with production platforms. The risks are far greater for drill rigs as they are often dealing with previously undrilled geological formations with unknown pressures and other factors whereas a production platform is like a factory at sea dealing with the flow from the reservoir.

tigger;318710 wrote: In an ideal world, technology for cleanups would have been developed at the same time as the technology to drill underwater, instead of adopting an 'it will never fail' approach. Such as they did with the Titanic [}:)]:(

It doesn't work like that Sort of like saying that they should have prevented all the potential causes of accidents before they sell a car - and you can't leave the nut behind the wheel out of the design :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331789 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Gulf of Mexico events

Organix;318713 wrote: It doesn't work like that Sort of like saying that they should have prevented all the potential causes of accidents before they sell a car - and you can't leave the nut behind the wheel out of the design :rolleyes:


Not so much the cause of the accident, but a way to clean up the mess should something go wrong...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331790 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Gulf of Mexico events

Organix;318713 wrote: The risks are far greater for drill rigs as they are often dealing with previously undrilled geological formations with unknown pressures and other factors whereas a production platform is like a factory at sea dealing with the flow from the reservoir.


I wonder how many of these are drilling rigs then....

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf of Mexico in 2006

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331793 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Gulf of Mexico events

tigger;318714 wrote: Not so much the cause of the accident, but a way to clean up the mess should something go wrong...

You can be sure that this rig, like most others, will have had a stack of written procedures literally 6ft high but having them there and signed for by some engineer doesn't mean they will be adhered to. It's one thing putting the recommended HSE (health, safety, environment) in place but when push comes to shove....... :confused: And those procedures would include spill continencies :(

As Barrack Obama has now stated, the risks of such disasters is now increasing substantially as the need to find ever increasingly difficult to find and extract what remaining oil reserves are left on Earth. Welcome to post-Peak Oil !

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #331794 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Gulf of Mexico events

tigger;318715 wrote: I wonder how many of these are drilling rigs then....


File Attachment:

NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf of Mexico in 2006

None it would seem.

Drill rigs are transportable and can be in and out of a drill location in a week or two at times so would not appear on a map such as this. Chances are there are a few hundred rigs in that same area, some reworking existing locations as flows decrease at a platform and others drilling new prospects such as the Deepwater Horizon was.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds