Chook deep litter bedding as compost

More
12 years 1 month ago #23202 by charlotte1
I have had a deep litter system in the chook house. It has been going for 6 months. How soon can it be put into the garden as compost. Do I have to mature it elsewhere first as I though chook poo needed time to "mature" or can it go into the garden straight away. The garden I had in mind is for veges and is currently empty but will be planted with tomatoes in the spring. Good idea or not??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #331337 by Sue
Well composted deep litter should be ready for the garden straight away.

The nitrogenous part has already been mainly gassed off already as ammonia so as long as it is dry and dust like-not solid cakes of wet muck, it should be fine!
If you dig it in as you turn over the ground it will be even better.

The secret of deep litter is to make sure it is dry and aerated so the bacterial action gets to work on the faeces as they are added-just like a compost heap-using the action of bacteria and heat to make the contents friable.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 1 month ago #331349 by Stikkibeek
You shouldn't have any trouble with the chooky poo burning any plants, as the new content will be small by comparison to the older mature manure, however, if you are using shavings for your deep litter, those will take quite a lot of breaking down and you might want to add a little lime to encourage worms, and some blood and bone because the rotting shavings will use up the available nitrogen in the breaking down process.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 1 month ago #331383 by Simkin
I put mine straight onto the veggie garden, especially in autumn when it has all winter to get worked by the soil organisms.

I also use caked stuff around our fruit trees - it goes straight on top of the soil and disintegrates within weeks. Don't dig it in - you only damage the roots of the fruit trees and it is better if the roots don't have direct contact with such a high concentration of poos. It takes about 3 months for it to become available to the trees (depending on rainfall, soil type, number of worms per sqm etc, of course).

More
12 years 1 month ago #331386 by Andrea1
In the late autumn I would put the litter straight into the garden, and just leave it sit all winter, and turn it into the soil in the spring a couple of weeks before planted. Great mulch to keep the winter weeds down, and great boost for the soil in spring.

Andrea
Oxford

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds