Help with MP3 player and Windows Media

More
12 years 1 month ago #23127 by reggit
Ah the joy of a new computer and trying to get everything running as you wish! NOT!

I have my cheap little MP3 player plugged into the new desktop. I can play individual songs just going into 'removable disk' and clicking on the songs that are loaded into it BUT I can't get it to play all the songs using Windows Media Player which is what comes up when the MP3 player is plugged in.

Help! It says not synched or something equally geeky....

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #330647 by GrantK
Tigger, why don't you use Windows Explorer to select all the songs (by right-clicking on all the ones you want with Shift and/or Ctrl keys) and then just choose the PLAY option, or "Add to Windows Media Player list". This same procedure works on Windows XP or Windows 7 (I just tried it) :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 1 month ago #330650 by reggit
I can do that for songs in each folder, but how do I do that when songs are in seperate folders (1-3 in each folder) according to artist? Any way of getting it to play all or do I have to move them out of artist folders and into just a general pool of songs in one folder?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 1 month ago #330652 by GrantK

tigger;317383 wrote: I can do that for songs in each folder, but how do I do that when songs are in seperate folders (1-3 in each folder) according to artist? Any way of getting it to play all or do I have to move them out of artist folders and into just a general pool of songs in one folder?

My music collection is organised like that too Tigger, so I just go into the folder where all the artist folders are (My Music for me), highlight all the folders I want, then right click and "Play with Windows Media Player".

It should work exactly the same in your case where all the artist folders are on a Removeable Drive (i.e. the MP3 player).

More
12 years 1 month ago #330653 by ame
Windows Media Player is crap. Ditch it and use something better such as Winamp.

www.winamp.com/

Winamp will also maintain a list of songs on your MP3 player. Add or change things in this list in Winamp, and Winamp will synchronise the list to the player next time you plug it in.

A

More
12 years 1 month ago #330656 by reggit

GrantK;317385 wrote: My music collection is organised like that too Tigger, so I just go into the folder where all the artist folders are (My Music for me), highlight all the folders I want, then right click and "Play with Windows Media Player".

It should work exactly the same in your case where all the artist folders are on a Removeable Drive (i.e. the MP3 player).

Okay, done that, but no 'play with Windows Medai Player' option when right clicked...should it be in the drop down box that appears? Yes, this is Windows 7 :(

More
12 years 1 month ago #330663 by ame
Winamp will work with Windows 7.

More
12 years 1 month ago #330675 by GrantK

tigger;317389 wrote: Okay, done that, but no 'play with Windows Medai Player' option when right clicked...should it be in the drop down box that appears? Yes, this is Windows 7 :(

In this case you will need to copy the files to the "My Music" folder on your hard disk Tigger.

I just tried doing the same thing in a different folder (Downloads) on Windows 7, and you're right -- those Media Player options don't appear. This happens because of the special properties of the My Music folder, and while I have successfully duplicated them on a USB Flash Drive, it probably isn't a good idea to try to modify the folder type on your MP3 player's drive, or you may find that it stops working.

So I would suggest simply copying the artist folders into "My Music" and then it should all be hunky dory.

P.S. This copying procedure is pretty much what the SYNC function in Media Player does, but I haven't tried it, so can't comment on how easy or otherwise it is to use. If it's anything like some other functions in Media Player, I'm guessing that it won't be exactly intuitive...

More
12 years 1 month ago #330795 by reggit
Thank you, I ended up downloading the entire contents onto the computer, just as easy for ongoing use anyway [;)]

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds