Petrol stations (notice I do not call them service stations!)

More
13 years 10 months ago #329630 by max2
No it wasn't Marsden Point, in my mind I am thinking Whangarei. but yes that is right re the diesel, soon to stop importing from Singapore and go with BP's diesel because of the storage law changes at Mt M ''plant'' and how they are getting around that issue and the contra deal. SOH is always quick to point out, as Shell and Caltex are next door at the Auckland plant as are other suppliers, and that ''it all comes out of the same hole''... and his gripe is why is so much LPG burnt off here and more expensive when NZ is supposed to be a clean green Country? (for one who owns and imported his own LPG dedicated fuel vehicle).

However 3.00am pillow talk is more about please get me a hot chocolate/cup of tea/why did you bang into the door couldn't you see you blind twit/are you sure you have made enough noise getting in type conversations - than where certain fuels are coming and going from.

tonight is last rotation so I will ask properly again in awake hours... :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #329634 by GrantK

swaggie;316210 wrote: No it wasn't Marsden Point, in my mind I am thinking Whangarei.

Marsden Point is where the oil refinery is. It's very close to Whangarei.

AFAIK, it is the only oil refinery in NZ, but I stand to be corrected if SOH knows of another one :)

There is an oil pipeline from Marsden Point which terminates at Wiri (South Auckland) not far from the airport. The terminal is called WOSL (Wiri Oil Services Ltd) and it is a joint venture between the big 4 oil companies i.e. BP, Caltex, Mobil and Shell. All 4 of them pump their fuel through the same pipeline, hence SOH's comment that "it all comes out of the same hole".

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 10 months ago #329635 by max2

GrantK;316214 wrote: Marsden Point is where the oil refinery is. It's very close to Whangarei.

AFAIK, it is the only oil refinery in NZ, but I stand to be corrected if SOH knows of another one :)

There is an oil pipeline from Marsden Point which terminates at Wiri (South Auckland) not far from the airport. The terminal is called WOSL (Wiri Oil Services Ltd) and it is a joint venture between the big 4 oil companies i.e. BP, Caltex, Mobil and Shell. All 4 of them pump their fuel through the same pipeline, hence SOH's comment that "it all comes out of the same hole".

Pm you after dinner.

More
13 years 10 months ago #329645 by Kiwi303
The Maui field and the gas plant down taranaki way can crack Natural gas to petrol, but it's not economic and isn't done, but the capability was installed when the place was uilt I believe, "Think Big" project to wean NZ off importedpetrol, but the govt never subsidised the companies to make the product salable, despite building the capability.

is that the "down south" plant you were thinking of?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 10 months ago #329647 by max2

Kiwi303;316225 wrote: The Maui field and the gas plant down taranaki way can crack Natural gas to petrol, but it's not economic and isn't done, but the capability was installed when the place was uilt I believe, "Think Big" project to wean NZ off importedpetrol, but the govt never subsidised the companies to make the product salable, despite building the capability.

is that the "down south" plant you were thinking of?

don't get me on the subject of LPG in NZ. Paying $NZ1.22 per litre compared to $A0.55 (when I left with the same vehicle) and its being burned off here continually as excess!!!!!!!!!!![:0][:0][:0] yes it can be economical!

The fuel companies don't want you to have a clean green alternative here. but yes, LPG is clean and green and NZ has plenty and they know they have plenty.

More
13 years 10 months ago #329649 by DiDi
jeez - you are all talking Swahili from my perspective! If it all comes out of the same hole, how can say Caltex claim that they have something in their petrol (techtron?) that differentiates them from other fuels? Gull also has some claim about their 98 fuel that makes it different. I am totally confused now. Can someone explain in plain English please.

Incidentally, I use Caltex premium as have historically had far better mileage to the tank than using 91, which turns my car into a sluggish nana car - but the differential in price is starting to hurt. Any comments on that?

More
13 years 10 months ago #329658 by GrantK

DiDi;316230 wrote: jeez - you are all talking Swahili from my perspective! If it all comes out of the same hole, how can say Caltex claim that they have something in their petrol (techtron?) that differentiates them from other fuels?

Each of the 4 companies put their own additives in at the Wiri facility, and store their particular blend of fuel in their individual holding tanks. For Caltex, the additive is Techron, the others have different ones. The blended fuel is then trucked around the country via the fleets owned by each oil company, and distributed to their respective chains of petrol stations.

DiDi;316230 wrote: Gull also has some claim about their 98 fuel that makes it different. I am totally confused now. Can someone explain in plain English please.

Possibly Gull put in their own additive at Mt. Maunganui before their fuel is trucked around the country. However, I have never used 98 octane fuel, so I am only guessing.

DiDi;316230 wrote: Incidentally, I use Caltex premium as have historically had far better mileage to the tank than using 91, which turns my car into a sluggish nana car - but the differential in price is starting to hurt. Any comments on that?

Some engines are tuned for higher octane petrol than 91. Examples are various breeds of sportscars. Someone I know with a Porsche Cayenne also needs higher octane than 91, or it doesn't run very smoothly.

The manual for your vehicle should tell you what octane petrol is needed for the engine. Unless it's something pretty exotic, I would doubt that you need to use 98 octane. If you find that the mileage per tank is higher with 98 than 91, I would suspect that it is not tuned correctly. A trip to the mechanic should fix that, and save you money on fuel.

More
13 years 10 months ago #329875 by max2
Well I haven't had a chance to rephrase the original question, but what I know he says about additives is that they all have different names according to brand, but are also similarly produced and its all a big smoke screen to the consumer to get them to buy the end product.

very cynical is SOH since working in the industry. We both gladly support gull down the road.

No fuel discounts for fuel workers at their branded employer![:0][:0][:0]

More
13 years 10 months ago #329876 by GrantK

swaggie;316492 wrote: No fuel discounts for fuel workers at their branded employer![:0][:0][:0]

That sucks!!!

Bugger SOH's employer then, it's best to support Gull, thereby keeping the big boys honest [^]

More
13 years 10 months ago #329894 by kaybe

swaggie;316037 wrote: I suppose paying One $12.50 per hour doesn't get you much talent, brain or initiative.

I resemble that swaggie! [V] I get paid $13 an hour and I have tons of brains, talent and intiative - just stingy bosses :D

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 10 months ago #330112 by max2

kaybe;316512 wrote: I resemble that swaggie! [V] I get paid $13 an hour and I have tons of brains, talent and intiative - just stingy bosses :D

sorry Kaybe, I was actually thinking of one former SS employee whose partner has to hide his mobile phone money to ensure the account gets paid and he isn't in my good books these days, ripping other people off of hard earned money. [}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

More
13 years 10 months ago #330121 by TKFARMER
kaybe look at the second word in your post,by using that word you are agreing with swaggie .tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
13 years 10 months ago #330167 by max2

TKFARMER;316769 wrote: kaybe look at the second word in your post,by using that word you are agreing with swaggie .tkf

there was a UK programme some time ago that used the word ''resemble'' as a tongue in cheek reply instead of resent... I have assumed that kaybe has used it in the same manner, with the same intent. :)

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds