Petrol stations (notice I do not call them service stations!)

More
14 years 3 days ago #329527 by kate
I got a 25c voucher last week too - saved over $15 filling the tank[8D][8D] I could do with more of them. Especially as I had to buy road miles last week....[B)][B)][B)]

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 days ago #329529 by max2
I filled the trusty but aging civic a fortnight ago plus had 2 containers in the back, one for the quad and the other a spare, saved over $15.00 for fuel we will use anyhow.

makes sense to me!

P.s. Grant I will get back to you re gull and their origin, me thinks it starts with B. and as far as I know the only stuff imported comes from Kwinana in Western Aussie and all get the same, the rest is from marsden Point and the additives different names but the same stuff..... but happy to be corrected before 3.00am in the morning when the SOH gets home from Wiri.

More
14 years 3 days ago #329532 by DiDi
I'm with PG and noting the recurring theme here about Caltex. Bombay is awesome and yes they do have to release the pumps. On the edge of the Southern Motorway North and South, can you imagine the number of driveoffs they have experienced. I also know that anyone can go into the station and ask for help and they will go out and help. NO way would I ask anyone to check my water on a hot engine - they could get scalded. I do all that stuff at home in my farm clothes.

I'm not sure what the return to them is now but it seems like 5 minutes ago, I was told it was 4c per litre! Do people realise just how much goes to the Government? A 4c increase not long ago was totally new excise tax (and another due with the ETS) so I am more than happy to leave the guys behind the desk and do my own thing... because I can. I also grin from ear to ear when I see them pumping gas for elderley people. Yeah to Caltex Bombay!

More
14 years 3 days ago #329541 by TKFARMER
I am with grant on this one, gulls fuel comes from singapore and lands at tauranga and is transported by tanker from there.tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
14 years 3 days ago #329543 by GrantK

TKFARMER;316113 wrote: I am with grant on this one, gulls fuel comes from singapore and lands at tauranga and is transported by tanker from there.tkf

That was what a mate told me who is keen on rallying, so I figured he ought to know. He also recommended using 91 Octane Gull petrol for any farm machinery which has petrol left sitting in it for a while. Apparently it has less additives, therefore doesn't tend to clog up carburettors, needle valves and the like.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 3 days ago #329554 by FencerMan

DiDi;316103 wrote: I'm with PG and noting the recurring theme here about Caltex. Bombay is awesome and yes they do have to release the pumps. On the edge of the Southern Motorway North and South, can you imagine the number of driveoffs they have experienced. I also know that anyone can go into the station and ask for help and they will go out and help. NO way would I ask anyone to check my water on a hot engine - they could get scalded. I do all that stuff at home in my farm clothes.

I'm not sure what the return to them is now but it seems like 5 minutes ago, I was told it was 4c per litre! Do people realise just how much goes to the Government? A 4c increase not long ago was totally new excise tax (and another due with the ETS) so I am more than happy to leave the guys behind the desk and do my own thing... because I can. I also grin from ear to ear when I see them pumping gas for elderley people. Yeah to Caltex Bombay!

Caltex Bombay is owned by one of my very close friends Parents, FYI they are also local to Pukekohe and very good people :)

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
14 years 3 days ago #329559 by beedee
I have always had good experience with Caltex Bombay... and try and time my fill ups for them. so FM you can pass on the news that their customers are happy.

More
14 years 3 days ago #329560 by The Kats Place
the only time I will fill my own is when I use Pak & saves pumps, which isn't often. I got to a local smallish place and just go in and ask for some help please and someone trots out and does it, The only safety thing I have seen them worry about was putting on a high vis vest.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 3 days ago #329561 by Xartep
Our local Mobil also has very good customer service, one of the staff raced out to "take over" from me one day and told me he would "get in trouble" if the boss saw me doing that. They have a very strong customer ethic. I make a point of going there if I can.
The BP in Masterton is the worst for service, I believe the man that runs the pumps is very rude.
I have found staff members smoking in other service stations in Masterton and that is just wrong.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 3 days ago #329562 by TKFARMER
with shell being sold to nz interests maybe they will change their ways. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
14 years 3 days ago #329584 by arnie.m

TKFARMER;316094 wrote: Tigger carry a funnel and 4l of oil in your car then you won`t have the spill problem or do it the night before.Buy your oil from super cheap or Repco it is way cheaper than buying from a gas station If you fill up at Mercer they tell you to pre pay . .tkf

Warehouse beats Repco hands down, not sure about Supercheap

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
14 years 3 days ago #329594 by Ghilly
I can't speak highly enough of our local service station. Pull in and one of three people shoot out and ask how much you'd like.
They will check oil and water if you ask them to and a couple of times we have pulled in the owner has helped sort out minor problems.
The little thing that releases the petrol cover on the car wasn't working properly, a quick fiddle by the owner and it now pops open when the lever in the car is pulled, just like it used to. I pulled in in the ute, can't remember what the problem was but the owner had a look, got down on his hands and knees to see under the steering wheel and showed me where the fuse box was.

They stock snacks and a few car bits. Trouble is with parts now is there are so many models out there, a garage wouldn't be able to stock them all.

The owners brother owns the connecting workshop and is only too keen to help. Their family has been in Pokeno for years and years and they know everyone in the local area so it's like visiting friends when you get petrol or diesel.
I went sailing off to Pukekohe for something one day and called in for diesel on the way back. We stood chatting at the counter and I mentioned what I'd bought. They had it in store, I could have bought it there and saved myself the trip.

When I was cutting the carpet, the blade I was using was dull so I went out to get some new ones. I thought I'd check to see if the service station had any, you never know! Well. Allan, the owner, had a look at the Stanley knife and said "just a minute" and vanished into the back of the shop. He appeared with a screwdriver and undid the side of the knife and buggar me, it was full of replacement blades! He took the old one out and put a new one in and screwed it all back together.

Apparently Kim had told me the spares were in the handle but I didn't hear her.

They work 7 days a week from early in the morning until 6:30 at night. It's a hard business to be in.

Always a smile and possibly a grubby joke. Great people!!!!

The people who used to own the service station side of things were miserable, racist and rude. I never went in unless it was an emergency but now... we get our petrol from them, even though it's a little more expensive.

They are considered by the petrol company to be 'off the beaten track' HA! It's two minutes from the motorway in either direction but they are charged more for delivery.

Yakut

More
14 years 3 days ago #329598 by Anne
Recently I filled my truck (aprox $180:00) at the local Caltex. Went to pay with my Farmlands card but their system was down. Boss was on his way to fix it. Staff recognised me - I fill a ute, my truck and my work car there. So while all the other customers waited around I went off without paying - just "pay next time you go past". Pretty good I thought.

More
14 years 3 days ago #329616 by max2
The 3.00am question was asked, i might have some of the numbered unleaded back to front though....[:I]

gull diesel currently comes from Singapore and lands at Mt M, however because new storage rules have begun down there, one of the other companies (sure he said BP) is leasing a separate site storage tank and gull will be taking diesel from BP very shortly and will not be importing it.

They are then going to use those Mt M tanks (and this is the bit I muddled up) for storage of either 91 or 98 because the rules change for storage and both companies will draw on it for re-sale under their own label as part of the overall deal.

98 is manufactured at kwinana Western Aussie regardless of whether you buy it at shell, BP, gull or anywhere. It comes in at Mt M by boat and drivers like SOH pick it up and take back to where scheduled. 91 is made at two plants, one being up north. he did mention the other name but its lost to me now... :o:o:o

More
14 years 3 days ago #329627 by GrantK

swaggie;316195 wrote: The 3.00am question was asked
drivers like SOH pick it up and take back to where scheduled. 91 is made at two plants, one being up north. he did mention the other name but its lost to me now... :o:o:o

Thanks to you and SOH for all that info. Swaggie :)

Aha, so the rules of the game are changing then...

I never use 98 octane petrol, but I would be interested to know the location of the alternative plant where 91 octane sometimes comes from, in situations where it isn't sourced from Marsden Point.

Do I take it from what SOH said, that Gull will no longer be importing any 91 octane petrol either, instead sourcing it from BP as they will shortly do with diesel?

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds