Petrol stations (notice I do not call them service stations!)

More
13 years 10 months ago #329468 by FencerMan

it should be part of every drivers basic abilities to refuel and check their own oil and water.' :D

:):):):):)

Its really easy and simple to do, and MUCH cheaper than using oil from the gas station, AND for anyone (usually ladies...) that dont feel confident, there is no shortage of knowledgeable people willing to explain it to you (usually males lol)

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #329470 by max2
the major service stations are trying to force their privately owned ones into upgrading tanks etc at a huge expense, I wonder Tigger whether your one was the one SOH enjoyed going to (as a tanker driver) and he told SOH exactly how much it was going to cost. With the minimal mark up they make on the fuel it just didn't work out financially for them to borrow more money to make the upgrade.

re the attendents, once again at SOH's experience as a tanker driver, the Drivers have equally the same amount of trouble obtaining any assistance too.
SOH had to recently call the 0800 number for assistance for his particular brand and he went to three same branded service stations (in his branded truck, trailer and uniform) to use their telephone to call back to help desk. None of the s/s would lend him the telephone to do so... so a formal complaint has been sent to HQ.

I suppose paying One $12.50 per hour doesn't get you much talent, brain or initiative.

More
13 years 10 months ago #329472 by reggit
FM, I am perfectly capable of pumping my own gas, checking my own oil, filling my own water reservoirs, pumping up my own tyres, changing tyres, even replacing my own oil and filters if the mood takes me [}:)] but I'd rather not be doing that unless I have old clothes on (apart from the gas pumping which is usually incident free) and have hand washing facilities afterwards, since I am usually on my way somewhere where oily hands and rubber smudges aren't considered suitable attire.

Yes, you should be able to do these things, BUT there are times when you would rather not if an alternative presented itself.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 10 months ago #329480 by max2
we both fill up at our local Gull (well known brand petrol, pay more for the same stuff at their s/s). not only do they accept shopper dockets but from time to time gull has another 5c per litre off the pump price. Not so long ago i had a 20c voucher and the surprise gull 5c, and it added up to a substantial saving for someone who doesn't drink coffee, chocolates or mags from the same service station. :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #329485 by SaraL
Firstly, when we came to New Zealand we were surprised that there were actually Service stations. They are a thing of the past in Europe since decades!

Secondly, just something to think about: Benzol which is part of any petrol is confirmed to cause cancer. Again, since decades, European petrol stations had to upgrade all nozzles to suck off the Benzol fumes when people fill up their cars. We do not have this advanced (ha ha ha) technology in New Zealand.[B)] But what we do have is 16 year old young people working 8 hour shifts at petrol stations breathing in Benzol fumes 8 hours a day 5 days a week? [xx(][xx(][xx(]

For my part I am glad that they can live healthier now. But I am young and fit enough to fill up my own car!

I don't want to pour oil into the fire (pun intended!) [}:)] but just think about it.

Sara

More
13 years 10 months ago #329487 by max2
Ah Sara I can help you there partially. Certain fuel companies in NZ are introducing secondary lines for when tankers are pumping into the caves, that fumes etc are caught and re-delivered back to the tanker.
It has been found (crikey knows when) that a huge amount of petrol is retained in fumes and can be re-processed back into liquid petrol again with little effort back at the plant.

Of course with this latest "'discovery"" One should assume this would increase the amount of petrolum that the world ''now'' has and prices would come down......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:[B)][B)][B)][B)][B)][B)][B)]

More
13 years 10 months ago #329495 by Pumpkingirl
Well the wonderful staff at Caltex Bombay memorise the cars that come in, so I never have to pre-pay.

There must be something about my training from Dad that has never let me - he gave me lessons on how to do the oil, water etc and told me never to allow anyone else to touch my car. On the two occasions I did, the petrol cap wasn't replaced, and on the second the oil cap wasn't replaced (two different stations). That was messy. And annoying, having to find another bloody cap.

Maybe I'm backside retentive but i always hit the trip meter on my car so even when the petrol tank alleges it is half full, I know from the trip meter reading how many kms I actually have left so I can fill up when I'm not going somewhere in a hurry in nice clothes. If I'm wearing white, it WILL get stained.

Using the trip meter is also good for noticing if your car isn't running as efficiently as possible for no "apparent" reason.

More
13 years 10 months ago #329497 by Stu_R
Having worked at gas stattions for about 5 years ( yep and the bloody graveyard shift at times) and we had prepay to ... the ones i got to know, would just unlock pump for,if befor cut over time ... on graveyard i always took the pumps off prepay about an hour befor was supposed to,( yep my risk totaly, as if a drive off, it came out of my wages ... and nope if they manged to find the person and get the money back, i didnt get what they had taken out of my wages ) but was worth it for the regulars at those hours of the morning.
What a lot of people don't understand is .... if there is a drive off, or your till doesnt ballance for what ever reason , is .... that it comes out of the shift bosses wages , even if its not your own till.
Been there , done that , been screwed for things not my fault, but fault of young dickhead working with me at time :(
But in those days we did full forcourt service at all the stattions i worked for.
These days in my small town of Fielding with 4 gass stattions, there is only one that still does forcourt service and thats a Caltex ... and trhe staff there are really great, even though i do all my own pumping and oil and tyre check stuff

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #329499 by ravenseyes
A big thing is that the staff at petrol stations are retail service staff. They are not mechanics, they are not trained to do anything to do with cars.

If you go to the supermarket and purchase food, do you expect the check out operator to cook the food for you ? If you purchase oil at the Warehouse do you expect the checkout operator to put the oil in your car ? No - they are retail staff. And that is all that people who work in petrol stations are. Retail sales staff.

If you require further, e.g. oil done, tyres etc then you should take your car to a service center - they are they people trained to do these things.

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
13 years 10 months ago #329502 by Stu_R
:) true ravenseyes .. but back when i was working gas stattions .. if the Mystery Shopper called in and you didnt offer to check oil, check tyres or arrive with in 1 min of them pulling up to pump, a: you got your ass kicked when the report came in , and B; you missed out on any rewards
I havent worked a gass stattion since 2004 , and i guess it shows ... in those days customers still mattered
I am happy to say at least the Caltex in town does that so i am told ... ( from the rich lady i work for at the gardens) .. me i just go there and do all my own stuff as they are good people

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #329509 by beedee
Tiggs to pour your oil in without the splurp, have the spout at the top of the bottle and then the air comes out first and a slow start occurs, same when pouring petrol into the mower, have the spout end at the top, thats why they are not central.. and if you do find a central spout, then have the flask horizontal not vertical.

More
13 years 10 months ago #329517 by GrantK

Kate;316028 wrote: At the Countdown or New World (can't remember which it is) at Whangarei there is a self-serve, self-pay petrol area [8D][8D][8D]

That is New World in Whangarei Kate. It's so convenient after stocking up on groceries to walk out to the petrol area with your 6c discount voucher, and fill up your tank as well.

swaggie;316050 wrote: we both fill up at our local Gull (well known brand petrol, pay more for the same stuff at their s/s).

Actually, Swaggie, Gull are the only oil company who import all their petrol directly from Singapore, rather than refine it at Marsden Point. IMO, they are the good guys who keep the others honest, and in my experience, they are never dearer than the other companies, but usually 1c to 5c per litre cheaper [8D] [8D] [8D]

swaggie;316050 wrote: from time to time gull has another 5c per litre off the pump price.

We struck one of these specials on the way back from Auckland last Thursday. Was all set to stop at New World as usual, but noticed that Gull Whangarei were 5c per litre cheaper than all the other stations in Auckland and Wellsford. So we took a gamble that none of the other stations in Whangarei would match that price, and indeed -- that was how it turned out -- Gull was 5c per litre cheaper than all the others.

In my experience, you never go wrong buying your fuel at Gull. However, the nearest outlet is just to the south of Whangarei, and increasingly, we do most of our shopping in Paihia, Kerikeri or Waipapa, now that Countdown has a store in Paihia, New World Kerikeri has the best selection of groceries in the Far North, and Farmlands are about to open in Waipapa. RD1 has also opened a much larger store in Waipapa last week, so for us, there is little reason to go as far as Whangarei any more. Great news, as it helps to keep the fuel bills down.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 10 months ago #329521 by sod
WE get 5cents a litre off Caltex anywhere anyway and only pay monthly :):)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 10 months ago #329522 by GrantK

sod;316092 wrote: WE get 5cents a litre off Caltex anywhere anyway and only pay monthly :):)

We have that option too, via our Farmlands card.

But sometimes it works out cheaper to go to Gull with a 4c voucher, and if they are 5c per litre cheaper to begin with, well 9c per litre saving is a no-brainer really :)

Last weekend, we got a 25c per litre voucher from New World as part of their birthday celebrations. Never had a 25c voucher before!

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 10 months ago #329523 by TKFARMER
Tigger carry a funnel and 4l of oil in your car then you won`t have the spill problem or do it the night before.Buy your oil from super cheap or Repco it is way cheaper than buying from a gas station If you fill up at Mercer they tell you to pre pay . .tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds