Microsoft

More
12 years 2 months ago #329565 by SaraL
Replied by SaraL on topic Microsoft

Toast;316124 wrote: Didi, where do you get CCleaner?

Here: en.softonic.com/s/cc-cleaner

Sara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #329572 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Microsoft
Personally to download any programme, I go to the "maker" in the first instance - www.piriform.com or their suggested site www.filehippo.com or download.cnet.com

cnet is a good site for reading reviews etc

Please note too that the programme is called CCleaner (one C not two). When you are aked to donate to Pay Pal, you don't need to, to get the programme - just go to the next step. I have used the Registry cleaner but don't if you are not sure of your system. Also note that CCleaner will clean out your passwords i.e when you go back to this site you will have to log in again. I know what mine all are so happily let it Analyse and then Clean. It can be a bit scary when you first do it and it lists screeds of files it will permanently delete! I have never lost anything that I am aware of. All photos etc are still there, documents etc.

Obviously I am an advocate but if anyone has anything to add, or advise, please feel free to do so.

More
12 years 2 months ago #329582 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Microsoft
CCleaner +1:cool::cool:

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
12 years 2 months ago #329756 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Microsoft

SaraL;316137 wrote: Linux is definitely not for the standard user. This is my experience from over 20 years IT.

Sara

Interesting comments, but lacking in basic facts.

1. You do not need infinite time and/or patience to install Linux, or any luck for that matter. It takes about the same length of time as installing Windows. Installing Windows is *hard*, but no harder than installing Linux. People forget this because they never install it- it's on the PC when they buy it (thanks to Microsoft's stranglehold on the PC manufacturing industry).

2. I don't know why you have such a hard time installing software in Linux. For a number of years there have been repositories of software which are accessible in Linux with a couple of clicks (pick what you want from a list, click OK). Why are you talking about compiling kernels? It's simply not necessary.

3. Finally, why isn't everyone using Linux? Well, because they choose not to I suppose. They are probably also influenced by the kind of FUD you are peddling, and the multimillion dollar advertising budget Microsoft has. It is not a pain to set up and install applications (see point 2 above) and generally a web browser, email client and wordprocessor is installed by default, so the "normal user" you describe above would be well provided for.

You don't need to be any more computer savvy in order to maintain it, at least no more than with Windows. I am continually surprised at the amount of effort people are willing to put in to fix viruses or general software screwups in Windows when they put no effort at all in evaluating Linux.

Anyway, the original poster was shafted by Microsoft and is now happy with Linux. I don't really see what your point is.

A

More
12 years 2 months ago #329790 by optrex
Replied by optrex on topic Microsoft
To back that up you can have linux run off a CD that will run in a shell on any pc. When you take your cd out and restart the machine its back "normal". The entire thing runs without any form of install at all. I have a colleague who does this whenever he goes to an internet cafe......

NZ Weather Forum
NZ Beekeepers Forum

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds