Excel print question...

More
12 years 1 month ago #22963 by DiDi
Excel print question... was created by DiDi
I have been emailed an Excel spreadsheet that when I try to print it, the printer just spits out two blank pages. Anyone know how to sort this out?

I'm Vista. Spreadsheet just says Microsoft Office Excel non-commercial.

I have tried emailing it to myself. Saving it as a PDF - All failed. What else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328846 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Excel print question...
If you get stuck, PM me and you can email it to me and I can try to sort it this end. Is it possible that your printer parameters are picking up blank sheets of the spreadsheet rather than active sheets where there is data...?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 1 month ago #328847 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Excel print question...
Thanks tigger. Will PM you now.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328849 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Excel print question...
Check the print area, if cells are in the print area they will print, even if they're blank.

Web Goddess

More
12 years 1 month ago #328850 by DiDi
Truth be told, I only know how to put an arrow on a column and move it closer or wider. Apart from that - NOTHING! Wouldn't have a clue how to check the print area. Have PM'd tigger so hopefully she will be able to help me.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328857 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Excel print question...

DiDi;315340 wrote: Wouldn't have a clue how to check the print area.

In Excel 97 it was "Priint Area" under the File menu, so very easy to find. Not sure where they have put it in later versions, because I've never bothered upgrading.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328893 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Excel print question...
When setting the print area you hi-light by clicking mouse and hold the clicker down while you drag from bottom right corner, to top left. Then go to the print set. This defines the size of your spreadsheet.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 1 month ago #328894 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Excel print question...
It was printing fine my end when I selected a print option of 'active area' which comes up when you try to print a spreadsheet - or that might just be my printer...?

The sheets were definitely set up as page one and two of a print, no dead space around the data...:confused:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 1 month ago #328899 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Excel print question...
To check what is the current print area you can change your view so that you can see the print area. Under the View menu select "Page Break preview".
This shows thick blue lines at the limit of the Print Area, and dashed thick blue lines where page breaks will occur across the spreadsheet for your current print setup.
The greyed out area outside the blue lines will not print.
The blue lines can be dragged to change the printing area.

When you select this view you may then need to zoom (also under the View menu) because it often zooms out to show a large area of the spreadsheet.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328904 by ame

More
12 years 1 month ago #328911 by DiDi
aime - that was such a weird link! An arrow wondering over the page effectively telling me I am an idiot for not knowing how to Google? I'm sure that wasn't the intention and will take it you were sending a link on how to learn Excel. Problem is that I already have a link in favourites and spent at least two hours today trying to find an answer (on Google) and finally, my Excel is 2007 - if that makes a difference.

I'm exhausted and have made no progress on this so am going to have dinner and see if I can drum up enough enthusiasm to try the other hints. Thanks for those everyone. may contact you tomorrow Yoman. I just sooooo want to print this out! I could always contact the sender and see if he can do it in some other format I guess but hate being defeated especially when tigger could print it! Darn!

More
12 years 1 month ago #328920 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Excel print question...

DiDi;315402 wrote: aime - that was such a weird link! An arrow wondering over the page effectively telling me I am an idiot for not knowing how to Google?

Oops, sorry. There was a mistake. Should have been:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=excel+print+2007

The first link seems to cover everything:

http://www.uwec.edu/help/Excel07/pr-basic.htm

There not much else to it.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328923 by DiDi
:D I forgive you!

More
12 years 1 month ago #328945 by Double Crossing Kta
If you up grade dont up grade to Vista, its bad news

More
12 years 1 month ago #328987 by DiDi
DCK - I have been on Vista at least three years and would never call it bad news. Actually like it! This problem arose when I stupidly downloaded an update through Microsoft for my printer (yesterday morning) and I now suspect that it was never meant for Vista but for 7.

I couldn't find my printer on the 7 compatibility chart but is on Vista so makes sense. Rolled it back to the earlier version and now it won't print ANYTHING sent from the PC. I don't hate Vista but I HATE Microsoft.

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds