lactose intolerance

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328803 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic lactose intolerance
Ronney, It was the same with Me ,I have put up with it for over thirty years,had various tests and was told it could be IBS.About two months ago I was at the Doctors once again and he said that it could be a food allergy and referred me to the Gastro dept at the hospital .In the mean time I was thinking as to when I was feeling crook and decided to stop having milk on my breakfast cereal.
Things started to improve so after a bout after having some cheese I was pretty well convinced.At session at the hospital and they agreed With Me.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328804 by kalnetta
Xartep, Yes please I would love the recipe,Thanks.
Every one else thanks for Your help.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328813 by Rata
Replied by Rata on topic lactose intolerance
My husband has moderate lactose intolerance, and we also used to use Liddel's carton milk, as well as soy milk, but have since discovered a fantastic product that you add in drops to fresh milk, which converts the lactose. It is called Lacteeze, a Canadian product. You are supposed to use 5 drops per litre and refrigerate for 24 hours, but I have been using 4, and hubby can drink after 12 hours. It ends up a bit cheaper than Liddel's, tastes nicer (not uht), and I don't have to get rid of those packs - or wouldn't if I could get him off soy milk on his porridge!

I got this in a health food shop.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328851 by jen
Replied by jen on topic lactose intolerance
I've found that I can pretty much substitute soy milk for regular milk in home baking/cooking without too much trouble. So maybe it would be better to make your own stuff rather than buying stuff and being unsure about it.

I'm sensitive to dairy but not badly, I can have milk in cooked stuff and I can eat some cheese as long as its with something else and not on an empty stomach., so i always have soy milk on hand for cereal etc. I actually quite like soy milk on cereal, usually buy the SoGood 'light' one cause its lower fat.

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #328910 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic lactose intolerance
This article which played on National Radio a few weeks back explains why humans are lactose intolerant based on ethnicity, dietary changes and evolution amongst other things. The more informative content is in the second half of the interview.

Follow up that with this article also from Nat Radio on dietary problems that are mushrooming due to wheat and bread, and it starts to become obvious why half the Western world are presenting with wheat/dairy intolerances :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 1 week ago #329385 by Double8
Replied by Double8 on topic lactose intolerance
My daughter is lactose intolerant, I do check the labels in the supermarket, but there are more manufacturers putting gluten free or dairy free on the front of packaging. I use dairy free olive oil spread and rice milk or oaten milk (I avoid soy based because of her age). Plenty of fresh fruit and veg. I am surprised at what you can find sometimes and other times very frustrated! Try your local health food shop too as they often have snacks, chocolate and other "goodies" dairy free. 88

What am I? Fly paper for freaks?!

More
14 years 1 week ago #329392 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic lactose intolerance
Yes, A2 milk is available in New Zealand. It is expensive, though. Not all lactose intolerant people can have it but some can.

Don't feel that you need milk for the calcium - the calcium in dolomite is much better absorbed by the body than the calcium in milk.

More
14 years 1 week ago #330108 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic lactose intolerance

kalnetta;315288 wrote: Xartep, Yes please I would love the recipe,Thanks.
Every one else thanks for Your help.

Basic Muffin Recipe
1/4 cup rice bran oil (or other oil of choice - or butter)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk (substitute soy or almond or rice milk if preferred)

2&1/2 cups self raising flour (or plain flour with 2&1/2 - 3 teaspoons baking powder)

Prepare the muffin pans by greasing them well or lining with baking paper.
Preheat the oven
Blend thoroughly the oil & sugar
Beat in the eggs and then the milk
Carefully mix in the flour - do not over mix

Sprinkle muffins with cinnamon sugar, add a blob of jam or some berries etc

Bake @ 200degrees for 20-25 minutes

I have substituted 3/4 cup-1 cup of stewed apples (spiced) for 1/2 the oil & milk, and used water instead of milk. It takes a bit of experimenting to get the amounts right and find a combo that you like.

You can add nuts or dried fruit to this recipe to make it more interesting.

Good luck.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 1 week ago #330148 by kalnetta
Xartep,thank you for that i will try it.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds