Annual flu jab

More
12 years 3 months ago #328595 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Annual flu jab
I had the jab for the first time ever this year having taken Buccaline prior to Christmas. Reason was because it has the Swine Flu cover added and I'm off to Asia later this year. I did get a sore arm for a few days - felt bruised when I touched it but that was all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #328600 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic Annual flu jab
I'm with Jack on this one.
Besides garlic & cider vinegar are great immune boosters & don't leave you with a sore arm & flu like symptons :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #328603 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Annual flu jab
the only time I have ever had flu was the year I had the vaccine, so never again for me.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
12 years 3 months ago #328636 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Annual flu jab
There is a snuffles virus going around, lasting about 24-48hr.. and it seems to be following the chilly bins with the vacc in it, but otherwise not related.
IF you are young/fit and healthy or preggers, that is the biggest victim group of H1N1.. I have chosen not to have the 'flujab' and well aware that there are not enough ventilators in NZ to cope with the second season of its cycling.. but happy about that.
The USA had several thousand deaths, but what I find interesting is that they had 3 types of vacc available.. why is NZ only offering one??? 6mths later

More
12 years 3 months ago #328689 by jerry leadbetter
Replied by jerry leadbetter on topic Annual flu jab
I didn't get one last year, even though we provided it free of charge at work for all staff. I then went away to Australia and promptly go the worst flu I have ever had. Possibly it was swine flu but we were holed up on our own in the North (as we were moving house at the time) and didn't go to the doc (I probably should have I know).

Hit me for 5 days all in all, including a drive from Auckland to Whangarei with a fully loaded car, getting everything out of our old house with the movers and got told to bugger off from work when I tried to go back as they were all convinced I was still ill!

I was first in line for the jab this year round and did get a bit of a sore arm (but nothing to grizzle about) and felt a little shady for a day but apart from that glad I had it.

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

More
12 years 3 months ago #328699 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Annual flu jab
I'm with TKP after taking Buccaline last winter and then had more colds than ever before. I don't normally get flu so don't think the vaccine is necessary.
But Ronnie wouldn't a quick call to the place where you had the vaccine give you a proper answer?

More
12 years 3 months ago #328704 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Annual flu jab

jeannielea;315178 wrote: I'm with TKP after taking Buccaline last winter and then had more colds than ever before. I don't normally get flu so don't think the vaccine is necessary.
But Ronnie wouldn't a quick call to the place where you had the vaccine give you a proper answer?

Buccaline is just a host of dead bacteria, so while it might help with the bacterial complications of colds, it wont, stop you getting one. It won't help you with flus either since they are viral.

Those of you who get very sore injection sites, and swelling, may have an allergy to injected egg-white. Since the flu immunisation has an albumin base, it will affect anyone who has this allergy. I can't have it for this reason, as my allergy is quite high.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 3 months ago #328710 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Annual flu jab

Kalmara;315073 wrote: I'm with Jack on this one.
Besides garlic & cider vinegar are great immune boosters & don't leave you with a sore arm & flu like symptons :)

Agree 100% [^]

Inger & I never get flu jabs, but we always take Vitamin C/Echinacea/Garlic tablets for better immunity. We hardly ever catch colds and almost never get the flu. I could count the number of occurrences during the past 10 years on one hand.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 3 months ago #328720 by kathken
Replied by kathken on topic Annual flu jab
i havent had the jab yet, but i am going to......have been getting them for a few years, free for me as i am asthmatic. i only ever get a sore arm - no other problems.

it cannot give you the flu, and i reckon if you get sick at the same time, it's just conincidental.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
12 years 3 months ago #328723 by DiDi
I agree with Stikkibeek but perhaps a clearer explanation is in order. The difference I have experienced, having taken it for many years, is that whereas someone else gets the flu and is dying a death for anything up to two weeks, you get it too - but - a very mild version for two days.

I found myself the complete idiot when I was working in a close office and ended up covering for so many people who fell over in a big way whereas I could still function quite adequately. Hindsight, with no sickness time limits - should have taken it off! Nah - not in my nature. Never wanted to let the clients down.

More
12 years 3 months ago #328762 by hogiehorse
Replied by hogiehorse on topic Annual flu jab
www.fightflu.co.nz/faq/

The link above provides some good information. I think there are way too many uninformed people who are very ignorant about the 'flu vaccine provided each winter and seem to think it is something to do with preventing colds! If only.

I have lined up each year for about the last ten years for my vaccine shot as I am in the "at risk" category and I am not prepared to take my chances. I have never had any reaction to the injection - not even a sore arm.

Hogiehorse
Quit lifestyling in September 2005 after 20 years but still ardent fan of this forum

More
12 years 3 months ago #328764 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Annual flu jab
Without wanting to tempt fate, I've never had a flu vaccine and I've also never had flu :D Geoff had flu for the first time a couple of years ago and was really ill. The only thing I take on a regular basis to prevent getting flu is wine [}:)][}:)] Which seems to be working...

Web Goddess

More
12 years 3 months ago #328766 by DiDi
Maybe Gin is another wonder syrup! [;)]

Took my daughter to Bali and she came down with an awful flu but I did as I was told, drank plenty of Gin and didn't catch anything. :D

More
12 years 3 months ago #328767 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Annual flu jab

Kate;315246 wrote: The only thing I take on a regular basis to prevent getting flu is wine [}:)][}:)] Which seems to be working...

That's your excuse and you're sticking to it eh Kate :)

Whatever works for you, I say go for it [^]

For us, it's the tablets mentioned above, but let everyone choose their poison and indulge accordingly [;)]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 3 months ago #328867 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Annual flu jab
I have just had (and still having) the flu mother of all flu colds. E gave it to me last week, starts with a tickle in the throat, full blown tonsilitis in 24 hours, unable to breathe at all through the nose, limited breathing through the mouth. Very congested and sore as yesterday.

i have been on codril and panadol, vicks etc and highly recommend if anyone with a respiritory condition thinks they are starting to get it, high tail it off to the Docs quickly. Its awful and at times I felt like I was hyper ventilating because I couldn't get enough air.

I think it hit me hard as I have been working long hours and have an unusual stress load right now. Something had to give...:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds