Help please computer experts

More
16 years 6 months ago #2291 by Louimay
I have a problem

My computer's OS is Windows XP. So today after the computer started acting a bit weird I thought I would quickly copy all my photos from "My pictures" to CD. Copied them to a CD-R which is a recordable Compact disc? Before I could copy them it prompted me to format the disc which I did.

Anyway, did all that and then went and had look at them on the disc on my computer and they appeared to be all there - or so I thought..

I then put the disc in my laptop which is also Windows XP. It couldn't read it, it said the disc was blank[?] So I put it back in my computer to check and the photos were there.

What have I done wrong[xx(]:(

I had this trouble once before when I took a CD into the photoshop to get prints. They couldn't access it. So now I have to take my memory card from my camera in before i download them to my computer to get some prints.

I am really fustrated and hoping someone can help. Am I using the wrong disc's, should I be formatting, should I use another programme to get them onto the disc rather than "My pictures"?..HELP!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #70856 by GBpeter
It might be the CD-drive in the laptop - some aren't compatible with all read/write formats - try it in someone elses PC.
Alternatively - you aren't burning a DVD on the PC and trying to read it on a CD Drive on the laptop are you?

More
16 years 6 months ago #70870 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Help please computer experts

quote:Originally posted by Louimay

Copied them to a CD-R which is a recordable Compact disc? Before I could copy them it prompted me to format the disc which I did.

This doesn't sound right. You don't need to format a CD-R. Are you sure it's not a CD-RW [?]

I then put the disc in my laptop which is also Windows XP. It couldn't read it, it said the disc was blank[?] So I put it back in my computer to check and the photos were there.

As GBPeter has said, your laptop's drive is not compatible with the disc you have used. Either that, or the drive is faulty.

To prove which it is, you need to try and read the disc you have written in someone else's PC, preferably one which is equipped with a DVD drive, then it should cater for any type of disc (in theory anyway).

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
16 years 6 months ago #70906 by Louimay
Thanks guys for the help.

It is a CD-R disc and not a CD-RW. When I put the new disc into my computer and I try and access it via "my computer" and then "CD drive E" it brings up a wee error box and I can't remember what it says but it won't open the disc. I had look in the help section and it said to format disc which I did and then I was able to access it and load the photos on to it.

Ok, so I have just had another wee play and right clicked on the CD Drive E with the disc in there and it had something extra added to the menu "make compatible", that sounded promising so clicked on that and it said it would make it so the disc could be read by most drives on any computer. So did it and then put disc back in laptop and wahoo it worked.

What a blimmin way about it though. I still think something isn't right, surely it shouldn't be that complicated??

I remember now my dad saving some pictures to CD when he was staying here once and he said his computer couldn't read it and then there was the photo shop like I said. So it is my computer with the problem I think not the laptop. I will take the disc up to the neighbours tomorrow and try it up there.

I am fairly certain I haven't got a DVD writer, only a player.

Is there any other way I can save a back up copy of my photos other than CD? What are those pen like things..LOL..I am a computer dunce!! We had one at work during the apple season that was attached to the shed manager's key ring and he just plugged into a usb port and did a back up every day.

More
16 years 6 months ago #70925 by GBpeter
Lou

You are talking about a USB drive. They are good for use as a portable drive and/or for transfering data between machines but would be an expensive 'permanent' data storage method - you are better off using a CD or DVD for that.

More
16 years 6 months ago #70955 by wyseyes
A 2Gb USB flash drive for $17 would probably do the quick transfer job, and also the photo shop.

CDs are better for long term storage, and better written by a dedicated CD burning program (like Nero, CDDirect, or whatever came with your computer for the CD writer.) I have never used Windows to burn a CD.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
16 years 6 months ago #71040 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Help please computer experts

Ok, so I have just had another wee play and right clicked on the CD Drive E with the disc in there and it had something extra added to the menu "make compatible", that sounded promising so clicked on that and it said it would make it so the disc could be read by most drives on any computer. So did it and then put disc back in laptop and wahoo it worked.

What a blimmin way about it though. I still think something isn't right, surely it shouldn't be that complicated??

This process is called "CLOSING the disc" and it is part of the process you have to go through with a CD-R.

CD-RW discs are easier in that regard because they don't need to be closed. Instead, you can just write to them again and again.

However, CD-R is definitely the best option for long term storage, so it depends what you want I guess.

By the sounds of it, there is some strange software installed on that computer, because Windows XP takes care of the burning process and does the "closing" process automatically for me.

Unlike Wyseyes, I always use Windows to burn CDs, both CD-R and CD-RW.

However, if I'm burning DVDs, I use Nero. It is great for that purpose because Windows XP doesn't natively support writeable DVDs, only DVD-ROM discs.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds