Computer Blues - Help Needed Please

More
12 years 1 month ago #22909 by Toast
I turned off automatic updates - I think Farmside told me to because of some problem I was having & said it was safer without (my memory fails me on this).

Now I need to update Adobe Flash Player - can't watch the odd video clip & the Westpac log out page says I haven't got Adobe Flash Player.

I've tried to download it for Firefox but come up against a wall of things I'm supposed to do first. None of them mean anything to me. I did manage to uninstall the old Adobe Flash Player version.

I've got F-Secure protection & that seems to be working well. McAfee keeps popping up & I don't know where it came from. I have to temporarily disable protection, something about Java which I have no idea about.

Have tried to get in touch with my computer support people but can't get hold of them.

Can anybody help please? Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328158 by wyseyes
what happens if you go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ , and hit download?

(this might also be where mcafee came from, they sneak it in unless you tell it not to)

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
12 years 1 month ago #328159 by Toast
It tells me that the download should start immediately & if not to go to the troubleshooting page which I did & got as far as uninstalling. The remainder of the instructions are beyond me .....

I uncheck McAfee last time I tried.

Thanks anyway.

Thanks anyway.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328164 by DiDi
toast - I don't have Firefox so probably not able to help you but even to look for the answers for you, you would need to let us know what you ar using. XP, Vista, 7?

The first thing I would do is get rid of McAfee. It si not advisable to have more than one Antivirus running (although I have two working in harmony) and I wonder if that is the first problem. Let us know what system you are running and I am will try an find the links for you - I found one already but need the above info first.

Do you use a free programme like CCleaner (download from Piriform - ignore PayPal) to clean out all the accumulated rubbish on your computer. History, Browser cache, Temp internet files etc etc.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328327 by DiDi
How did you get on Toast? Were your computer guys able to sort it?

More
12 years 1 month ago #328452 by Toast
I replied to this. I wonder where my reply went? Gremlins!

Haven't got hold of IT people, will try again tomorrow.

I think I'm on XP. defintely not Vista. Usually use Firefox as web browser.

Switched the automatic updates back on. Got that far. Can't download Adobe Flash Player, just end up going in circles. It says click on the download but it just takes me back to the beginning of the circle.

Can't spend any more time on it.

Which version of Adobe Reader should I have? I've Adobe Reader 9.

Thanks.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328456 by GrantK

Toast;314917 wrote: Which version of Adobe Reader should I have? I've Adobe Reader 9.

Version 9 is what I am running and I don't have any problems with it.

I do remember back when I originally installed Firefox 3.0, there was some issue with the Flash Player and I had to uninstall it and then reinstall after each time I upgraded Firefox.

But that hasn't happened for a long time, certainly not since Firefox 3.5 came out. Now I am running Firefox 3.6.3 and haven't had any problems with it at all.

I would suggest uninstalling the Flash Player, and then download the latest version of Firefox (3.6.3 or later). After it has installed, then download the latest Flash player and install that.

Post back here and let us know how it goes.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328473 by Toast
I already have Firefox 3.6.3 & Adobe Reader 9.3.2.

I went to: http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/dlm/firefox_steps.html

unchecked the McAfee option, & clicked Agree & Install, then went to Installation Instructions (it says to do that for Firefox users):

http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/dlm/firefox_steps.html

I can't find Edit Options - I've gone all over the yellow bars at the top & done both right-click & left-click, so I'm stumped.

Should I have the automatic updates on or off? I've turned it back on.

Thanks.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328476 by GrantK

Toast;314939 wrote: I can't find Edit Options - I've gone all over the yellow bars at the top & done both right-click & left-click, so I'm stumped.

It's under Tools | Options | Security then click the Exceptions button.

Add www.adobe.com to the list as it says.

It's interesting that they say to do this, because I don't have www.adobe.com in that list, and yet it worked for me. Strange...

BTW: You do realise these instructions are for Adobe Reader that you already have?

I thought it was the Flash Player that you were having problems with?

Toast;314939 wrote: Should I have the automatic updates on or off? I've turned it back on.

Automatic Updates in where? Windows or Firefox?

More
12 years 1 month ago #328514 by Toast
Thanks.

Oops - yes, those links were for Adobe Reader - my mistake.

Anyway, here's where I've already gone round in circles a million times trying to download Adobe Flash Player.

After Agree & Install this comes up:

Your download will start automatically.
If it does not start, click here for troubleshooting information.
If a dialog box appears with the option to run or save, click run.
For Firefox users, please see the Installation Instructions .
Learn more | System requirements | Distribute Flash Player | Installation instructions

I go to Installation Instructions and this comes up:

Installation instructions for Windows non-Internet Explorer
  • Installation of Adobe Flash Player may require administrative access to your PC, which is normally provided by your IT department. For the installation to succeed, you may be asked to close all open browser windows during the installation.
  • Click the download link. A dialog box will appear asking you where to save the Installer.
  • Save the Installer to your desktop, and wait for it to download completely.
  • An Installer icon will appear on your desktop. Double-click on it.
  • You may be prompted to close open browser windows to continue with the installation.
  • You can verify the version you have installed by visiting the About Flash Player page.
So where's the download link they're talking about?If I click on Get Adobe Flashplayer I just go back to Agree & Install.

Thanks.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328550 by GrantK

Toast;314982 wrote: After Agree & Install this comes up:

Your download will start automatically.

When I do that, Firefox displays a message up the top saying:

"Firefox prevented this site (get.adobe.com) from asking you to install software on your computer".

At the right-hand side is an ALLOW button.

Do you not receive that message?

If you are still having problems, visit this page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/support/index.html

Check the various things they say to check, and then there is a link at the bottom which will let you download the Flash Player directly:

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe

P.S. Harking back to one of your original questions yesterday, it is never a good idea to leave Automatic Updates disabled for any length of time, so I don't know why Farmside told you to do that.

For all programs that support such a function (Windows included), I use the setting that says:

- Check for Automatic Updates and Notify me when available, but don't download automatically

This way, I can control when the downloading and updating happens, otherwise if I am away somewhere, and something goes wrong, it's very hard to rectify. Much better to do it at my leisure, when I am sitting at the computer.

Having said that, the last time anything went wrong with a Windows Automatic Update was more than 2 years ago, but it can happen, so best to be prepared.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328579 by Toast
At last ..... got hold of my computer people & they talked me through it. Successfully downloaded!

I forgot to ask about the updates. However, I have followed your advice above, which makes sense to me, and have just set that up.

Thanks very much, GrantK. You deserve an electronic chocolate fish!

Hopefully I can return the favour one day!

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds