Air Force Crash - what a tragedy

More
12 years 2 months ago #22798 by reggit
Watching footage on TV3 news, what a loss. :( Will be interesting to see what the outcome of the investigation is.

At about the same time on Anzac morning as this chopper went down, we were woken very suddenly here by a very loud and very low aircraft going over our place in the pea-souper fog. While we are on a couple of flight paths, we have never heard a plane that low and that noisy or at that time of the morning, and did wonder if it was an Air Force flight bringing folk in for the dawn parade. Pretty scary as visibility was next to nil...

Didn't think about it again until yesterday when friends who live in Ohaupo, on the other side of the airport from us, commented that they were also woken up and the plane was so low they were freaking out that it was coming down in the fog. So it had obviously been circling, trying to get in, and we both wondered if it had managed to land.

Certainly, a commercial flight wouldn't have even attempted it in those conditions, from the number of times/thickness of fog on occassions where flights I have been on have aborted landings and been redirected.

So it's got me wondering...have the armed forces got equipment in their planes and choppers that commercial one don't have that make it easier for them to fly in foggy conditions?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #326793 by Kiwi303
Yup, the air force planes have ground search radar, nothing as sophisticated as an F-111 Aardvarks terrain following radar or an MC-130's ground mapping insertion radar, but enough to tell how high they are above the ground via radar altimeter and major landmarks like a hill in their face. Add that to a more capable location tracker for ground sending stations that lets them triangulate and know Where they are in addition to how High they are, so they're better able to fly in all weather.

Mind you, that's for the C-130 Herks and the P-3 Orions, I'm not sure what the boeings have equipped, but probably better than what Air NZ have onboard their planes.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 2 months ago #326797 by DiDi
tigger - I have made a committment to start recording the dates and times that the planes and helicopters I hear going over me, that don't sound right, just in case.

Going back to when Erceg died, I would swear that he flew over my place so low that I ran outside to see why. He was dead within 30 minutes I believe. At the time I assumed that the Powers that be would find that his ground recorder (no idea about their instruments) would be faulty - but no. I don't believe that to this day as there was no reason for him to be so low.

Another acrobatic plane I watched while gardening doing an ascent up into the sky (vertical) and had been doing so for a while and on the last ascent, this nasty brownish stuff trailing behind. I figured - he had to see that. Given the direction he flew off in, he was dead within 30 minutes crashing onto a beach east of my place.

Recently, a Uraquoi (sp? helicopter flew near to my place and again, the noise the helicopter was making made me run outside as it sounded wrong. Who knows if it was the same chopper as I didn't record the date and maybe if I had, that could have become part of the investigation, if that particular chopper had flown over my place then.

The Army, Rescue, Police and other aircraft fly past (near too) my place and because I have lived here for 21 years, I don't even register they are there most of the time. What I do hear is when they don't sound right. That always takes me outside just in case. Trouble is, you are just left with a sense of dread and insecurity because, after the event, there is no guarantee you are talking about the same aircraft since they stopped printing numbers in big letters on planes etc; days turn into one so thus the committment to record in future. RIP beautiful young men.

More
12 years 2 months ago #326815 by reggit
I know what you mean about noticing the ones that don't sound right, Didi - and when there are 'different' flights over we notice too. We get the planes practicing for Armistice Day in Cambridge over our place, always a wonderful sight.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds