Does anyone understand...be nice

More
12 years 2 months ago #22764 by DiDi
Does anyone understand the popularity of the current Government? I saw today the "Dad's Army" appointed at massive cost to the tax payer to Ecan and I am just bewildered at how this is happening. Perhaps Ecan was doing a bad job but have you had a look at the pay these guys are getting? Who pays for that? The taxpayer and God Forbid the people of Christchurch etc in increased Rates.

Just know that I was a 30 year member and a member of the Executive of a Branch and resigned over issues that I could not personally agree with and yet the so called polls are showing positive support. Do the young people of today have no appreciation of the fact that we raised our children without the benefit of "family allowance", with 20+% interest rates, where there was no DPB for women etc. Did we fail our children, the decision makers of today by not educating them to the only buy what you can afford mantra. It seems today (Labour Policy) that if you buy on credit, can't afford it you can write off $40,000 and that is acceptable? How does that work with personal responsibility? How does that fit in with no support for the families of the dying, anyone over 50 needing ACC surgery payout for genuine injury for an operation, the cutting of aged care?

I am not saying there is anyone else I would vote for but rather - if we as rural and older people cannot get representation at Govt level other than by the same "tired" people sitting on every hearing and commission - how does this country move forward for us? For me this is personal being a Franklin ratepayer swallowed up into the Greater Auckland area without buses, trains etc and billions of dollars earmarked for spending in Central Auckland that with one rates bill for all, we will be expected to pay.

Are other rural areas of New Zealand feeling the same or is this just me being emotional and unobjective? Dame Margaret Vasey was one of the Commissioners who heard Franklin's plea to be left out of the Greater Auckland area and the only area that was not already included in the Metropolitan Urban Limits but that did not happen. Is democracy about listening to the people or not? Am I just getting old and tired? I just can't get over how easily this Government is getting away with some really demographically nasty policies and being applauded for it. I think the recession could not have come at a better time to cover the agenda that we are being sold. Scares the hell out of me anyway. What is happening in your area that worries you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #326461 by Stikkibeek
My opinion is that if amalgamation was the only way, and lets not forget that ratepayers were only granted a token opportunity to object, then at least Papakura and Franklin should have been allowed to go together. At least then, the country flavour of both communities would have been preserved. I read that Papakura is to be made a part of the Manurewa ward. There is absolutely no common ground here. Manurewa is very suburban with a high mix of pacific Island peoples, much better suited to be with Mangere while Papakura and Franklin have a mix of Urban Maori and farming/market gardening/Indian communities . How can the rest of Franklin, in any way, be a part of Hamilton? It's miles away. Can you see Hamilton buses serving Franklin? Ha! they don't even run the railcars to Hamilton any more. I think we will all be a whole lot worse off and the Supercity will be impossible to get paperwork through, despite what John Banks and his political cronies say. Manukau City is bad enough. I have a colleague who has been trying unsuccessfully to get a hawkers license to sell homemade icecream a public gatherings. He has never been able to get past the answerphone, and has never been able to make an appointment because the 50+ messages he has left, have never been answered. He's got to the point where he is ready to break the law on this one.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 2 months ago #326493 by max2
Well after my experiences with FDC this week, I am delighted we are changing over to Waikato Council!

(happy to expand further when I jump the present hurdle).

More
12 years 2 months ago #326497 by max2
Didi the way i see it, there is no constructive opposition to highlight the errors of the government ways, its more about where they see themselves in the polls and lots of yap about working harder, without the actual working bit going on.

I also think all govt has dumbed itself down to appeal to those who skim the political goings on, and appeal to those who are just worried about how much welfare dollar they can obtain ''to keep them in the lifestyle they have come to enjoy" (I kid you not, this was a comment from one of my co workers recently when she was off to WINZ for a benefit assessment interview.)

• Jack
12 years 2 months ago #326550 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Does anyone understand...be nice
Gidday

For a number of years now, in fact a number of different governments, we have slowly had our democracy whittled away. This government has finished it off and killed our democracy altogether. They have even done and gotten away with what we have objected about happening in other countries but seemed to have been dumbed down so much we have sat back and actually let our government cancel an election.

Bloody unheard of and un forgiveable.

And, at least from down here, there has been no sign what-so-ever at all of democracy in that silly supercity sceme.

Then to top that all off we had a minister go in secret to New York and sign a document that will totally change our race relations in this country for good, or should I say for bloody bad.

As far as I am concerned, they have shown their colours , and now must be gotten rid of for good.

More
12 years 2 months ago #326556 by sod
Jack I agree it seems we have been so screwed up that we dont fight for anything anymore, unless its saving whales or any other thing like that. With ANZAC day to morrow I wonder if what they fought and died for is is being lost through apathy(sp)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 2 months ago #326558 by TKFARMER
lets clear one thing up hamilton does not belong to waikato district council. hamilton is hamilton city council and tuakau and other parts of franklin will join waikato district council.I believe the new boundry is the bombay hills.

tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
12 years 2 months ago #326566 by DiDi
If your comment is in reference to "Can you see Hamilton buses serving Franklin? then it is a perfectly viable observation given that Hamilton and Waikato Councils are subject to Waikato Enviroment organising the buses! At least that is the way I interpret their Website. Correct me by all means if that is wrong tkf.

More
12 years 2 months ago #326576 by TKFARMER

Stikkibeek;312691 wrote: My opinion is that if amalgamation was the only way, and lets not forget that ratepayers were only granted a token opportunity to object, then at least Papakura and Franklin should have been allowed to go together. At least then, the country flavour of both communities would have been preserved. I read that Papakura is to be made a part of the Manurewa ward. There is absolutely no common ground here. Manurewa is very suburban with a high mix of pacific Island peoples, much better suited to be with Mangere while Papakura and Franklin have a mix of Urban Maori and farming/market gardening/Indian communities .( How can the rest of Franklin, in any way, be a part of Hamilton? It's miles away.) Can you see Hamilton buses serving Franklin? Ha! they don't even run the railcars to Hamilton any more. I think we will all be a whole lot worse off and the Supercity will be impossible to get paperwork through, despite what John Banks and his political cronies say. Manukau City is bad enough. I have a colleague who has been trying unsuccessfully to get a hawkers license to sell homemade icecream a public gatherings. He has never been able to get past the answerphone, and has never been able to make an appointment because the 50+ messages he has left, have never been answered. He's got to the point where he is ready to break the law on this one.

this is what I was refering to tkf

More
12 years 2 months ago #326582 by Stikkibeek
And does Huntly run a bus service? Does the WDC?

More
12 years 2 months ago #326587 by TKFARMER

Stikkibeek;312834 wrote: And does Huntly run a bus service? Does the WDC?

yes they do there is a bus service from te kauwhata to hamilton. tkf

More
12 years 2 months ago #326592 by cowvet

DiDi;312689 wrote: Does anyone understand the popularity of the current Government? I saw today the "Dad's Army" appointed at massive cost to the tax payer to Ecan and I am just bewildered at how this is happening. Perhaps Ecan was doing a bad job but have you had a look at the pay these guys are getting? Who pays for that? The taxpayer and God Forbid the people of Christchurch etc in increased Rates.

well - I am in the Ecan area and if this commission can sort out the mess it will be money well spent

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 2 months ago #326605 by Valmai
Welcome to Water Wars!!
When I first heard this I was breathing fire and brimstone, but thankfully waited until I calmed down before voicing my opinion. Make no mistake it does not matter whether you live in Canterbury or not, nor does it matter whether Ecan was dysfunctional or not, this affects you. This is the government taking away my (and your) democratic rights, by removing duly elected officials. If they get away with this, this time it sets a dangerous precedent which has implications for the entire country.

The rest of what I wanted to say I had to delete, I’m working on a slander/libellous free version

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
12 years 2 months ago #326606 by Stikkibeek

TKFARMER;312839 wrote: yes they do there is a bus service from te kauwhata to hamilton. tkf

But not to the Franklin area that will be affected by the Stupidcity boundary changes. I'm talking subbies here, not intercity:(

More
12 years 2 months ago #326619 by LongRidge
Jack, I'm disappointed in you :-).
Those of us that support that great political force, the McGillicuddy Serious Party, know that by amalgamating Auckland, then the Nth Island, then NZ, then Ostrylia, then invade USA, we will eventually be able to put bonnie Prince Charlie of Wales in charge of the world. It's fantastic that the MSP has managed to convince Hyde and Banks that this is the thing to do, rather than devolve as humans have for centuries. Just because it's natural to do these devolved things in our small community of interest does not mean that we should allow it to happen !!!!

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds