cleaning the car seat cover

More
13 years 10 months ago #22715 by Stikkibeek
We have a very nice bench seat sheepskin car seat cover, which was badly soiled with mineral grease or oil by the previous owner. It's a tad big to go through the washing machine and I have thought of treading it in the bath but don't want to turn the wool into felt. I've thought of using the oatmeal trick, but that looks like hard work. Anybody got a good idea on how to clean the oil and grease off? I don't expect it to get pearly white again, but then I don't want oil and grease all over my clothes either. However it would be nice to be able to use it.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #325874 by hogiehorse
Stikkibeek - you could try Bosisto's Eucalyptus Spray - wonderful on wool carpets for grease and the like. I wouldn't be without this product now and it has a million and one uses :-) Have a look at the link below. Most pharmacies and some supermarkets (New World?) stock this Australian product.

www.fgb.com.au/product/bosistos/bosistos-eucalyptus-spray

Hogiehorse
Quit lifestyling in September 2005 after 20 years but still ardent fan of this forum

More
13 years 10 months ago #325875 by ame
Replied by ame on topic cleaning the car seat cover
You could try taking it to a coin-op laundrette. They often have some larger-sized washing machines available as well as the standard ones. They don't like you to run heavily soiled items through the machines, but if you are sure it will clean up okay then it might be all right.

More
13 years 10 months ago #325876 by Stikkibeek

hogiehorse;312038 wrote: Stikkibeek - you could try Bosisto's Eucalyptus Spray - wonderful on wool carpets for grease and the like. I wouldn't be without this product now and it has a million and one uses :-) Have a look at the link below. Most pharmacies and some supermarkets (New World?) stock this Australian product.

www.fgb.com.au/product/bosistos/bosistos-eucalyptus-spray

Very interesting stuff if you can use it to clean carpets AND ease muscle strains.
Will keep a look out for ti.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 10 months ago #325881 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic cleaning the car seat cover
Dryclean first. I noticed on the bottom shelf at Foodtown a new product for drycleaning - wipes I think. I would consider using one of those (or ten depending on how bad it all is?). I also noticed on a site (for wool carpets) that you can use White Spirits (careful it is the right type) or Murlex (from hardware stores - if it is still available).

When you have as much as you can out, fill a large tub with warm water and use Martha Gardners Wool Mix 1:50 to soak it in. Go easy on how much you use as it really foams and takes plenty of rinsing BUT - it will not harm your wool if you don't get it all out and the car will smell of Eucalyptus.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds