Event ticket 'surcharges' - what is fair?

More
12 years 2 months ago #22689 by reggit
If information on an official event website said that a general admission one day ticket to that event was $19, but that that was the pre-event price and there would be a surcharge (not specified) on all tickets purchased at the event, what would be a ballpark figure for what you would expect to pay?

What about if the one day ticket was 49? What is a reasonable surcharge then?

Yes, this does relate to a real situation, but I would be interested to hear your views on what is reasonable before I tell the story [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #325646 by wino
In both cases maybe $5 more.

I don't think I like the wording of a surcharge for the day admissions though - a discount for early ticket purchase sounds more palatable to me.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
12 years 2 months ago #325649 by DiDi
No answer to your question tigger but have we not too long ago had an event where they didn't get anywhere near enough pre ticket sales and dropped the price big time "on the day".

Honestly can't remember what it was but I remember thinking how no one would want to prepurchase if waiting with crossed fingers for under selling meant way cheaper tickets. Discount or surcharge - interesting point wino and I agree with you.

Is this just to "scare" people into pre purchasing?

More
12 years 2 months ago #325654 by reggit
Yes, I can understand early bird discounts, but this wasn't categorised as that...the website clearly stated a ticket price with then just a 'small print' line about surcharge for gate sales but no indication of how much the surcharge was...

In this case, the V8s, a few days before the event started they were encouraging Hamiltonians to get behind it (well, almost telling us off for NOT getting behind it, in actual fact, which hasn't gone down well amongst folk I have talked to) and hadn't sold their target number of tickets...

...and when hubby and mates decided on the day to go yesterday (Saturday), they were told there was a $25 surcharge PER TICKET at the gate. So the $49 ticket became $74 each...and if you'd gone on the Friday when the ticket price was $19 you would have paid more for the surcharge than the listed ticket price...:(

I can only imagine families with kids (there were no kids prices on the day tickets) turning up and being told to add $25 per person to the tickets and in some cases parents having to explain to excited children that another $100 per family (using a standard of two adults and two kids) was just too much over and above the nearly $200 they would already be paying for the Saturday and that they wouldn't be able to go...

I really think that the official website, which listed all the prices, should have stated exactly how much the surcharge was.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 2 months ago #325662 by arnie.m
At that rate this maybe the last year they run it, totally over the top.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
12 years 2 months ago #325676 by beedee
I heard them mention surcharges on the radio, and the DJ's were saying buy your ticket through ticketek... that is far too greedy.. and when they have their post meeting with the council then go and have your say.. you might get reimbursed esp if you can find others who got stung

More
12 years 2 months ago #325684 by DiDi
I guess this was the warning tigger. Note the date! http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/3532959/V8-organisers-sales-will-come

However I heard on the news tonight that tickets sales had dropped again so maybe this will be the last one! The previous year they had 121,836 visits over three days against 170,000 the year before. Perhaps the organisers are so passionate about their love of motor racing that they don't realise that pricing it out of the market for those who do not live in Hamilton and have to travel distances, pay entry fees, accomodation and meals etc especially when wanting to share it with their family, is a huge financial committment that people just can't afford.

More
12 years 2 months ago #325685 by GrantK
I think a $25 surcharge for Gate Ticket sales is totally over the top and represents unjustifiable profiteering on the organiser's part. If I lived in Hamilton, that sort of daylight robbery would convince me to never again give the organisers any of my money, and I would boycott future events.

As Wino said, the reduced ticket price should be couched in terms of an Early Bird Discount, rather than a surcharge on the day. And the website should be totally upfront, ahead of time, about what the price will be on the day, vs. what it is for early bird purchasers.

Any last minute discounting in a desperate bid to meet a ticket sales quota will obviously undermine this strategy in future years, so must be avoided unless the organisers want everybody to hold off purchasing tickets until the last minute.

More
12 years 2 months ago #325691 by skyline_glenn
That is just a total rip off, if I was a local it would definatly put me off going. I went 2 years ago and even the bars at night were greedy, it was $12 for a bourbon and coke, suffice to say I didn't hand any cash over that night. Discounting tickets a week out also annoys me, I went to the rock to Wellington concert a couple of years back, got in early and bought silver ticket, 2 weeks out they discount all tickets and gold are about $30 cheaper than silver so half the people standing in front of me at the front paid less than me, damn I was annoyed.

Glenn

More
12 years 2 months ago #325704 by reggit
I have emailed the organisers and will see what their response is. Waikato Times is seeking feedback on the whole event and I will give them some.

We don't get the Waikato Times or local papers, so had to rely on the official website for all our info...

More
12 years 2 months ago #325706 by FencerMan

skyline_glenn;311829 wrote: , it was $12 for a bourbon and coke, .

Thats about normal for this end of the world... I bought two drinks on sat night, vodka and redbull, $14 each...and thats in Pukekohe!

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
12 years 2 months ago #325811 by skyline_glenn
Thats probably what you pay for a vodka&redbull down here as well but a premix jim beam is defintly less than $10 here, infact I think about $8

Glenn

More
12 years 2 months ago #325814 by Stu_R
interesting ... Tigger ... for gods sake have a crack, and give plenty of feedback .. as i am a big V8 fan and watched all weekend on TV .... i heard after the last NZ V8 race .. 4 more years now , and that the sunday crowd was bigger than they expected and has taken them over there expected sales.
Have a go Tigger , and i hope you get some satisfaction :)
For some one like me ( yep a broke ass) ... i would have only gone with the $19 ( advertised gate charge) and enough for a hotdog and some chips in my pocket :( ... so if i had been told at gate $25 more ... a: i wouldn't have been able to pay it ... b: i would have been shitted ( excuse the french) as no way could i have got in ... and by jessus would the poor innocent gate worker copped a mouthfull from me

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 2 months ago #325815 by Stu_R
:( :( god Fencerman .. lol um no wonder broke buggers like me have to have a Bourbon n coke at home ... couldn't afford the pub prices from the sound of it :(

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds