Subway ran out of chicken..........and so did KFC

More
14 years 6 days ago #22681 by ronnie
Went to get Subway for tea last night, after work. We only like the chicken teriyaki one. For the 2nd time in less than a month, they had run out [:0][}:)] of the chicken.

The time I went in was 6.50pm (they are open till 9pm). I felt this is totally unacceptable from a national franchise on a Saturday night. Last month, it was on a Sunday night about the same time. I was not amused on either occasion, and certainly made my feelings known last night to both staff and the few customers they had.

On both days, there was a local horse racing meeting in the town, so they would expect to be a bit busier than normal.

I went to send their head office an email this morning, to find they only have snail mail, phone or fax numbers. So I guess I shall phone them tomorrow.

On both occasions, our local Chinese takeaways benefited from Subways loss.

Any thought on this??

Have any of you struck similar occurances??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 days ago #325655 by max2
yes, not mentioning where but it wasn't subway, but I found out it was because the account hadn't been paid and the supplier stopped supplying. Permanently.:eek:

Suppliers are tightening their belts everywhere as there are a lot of people doing runners at the moment from paying their accounts.

More
14 years 3 days ago #326071 by Ghilly
Yes, KFC way back when I actually used to eat it now and then. They had run out of chicken!!! They were on one of the main routes from Mt Smart Stadium so they must have been burning lino getting the orders out.... but you'd think... wouldn't you?, that a place selling fried chicken would have a decent supply of chicken stashed in a fridge or freezer or somewhere....
Either that, or someone, noticing the drop in the supply would get an urgent delivery in before the chicken ran out.

From memory, they told me to come back in an hour... so maybe they had a delivery on it's way?

Yakut

More
14 years 3 days ago #326073 by ronnie
I rang their head office, who got the local manager to ring me. His excuses were: they were caught out with the local netball starting, they have only been going 4 months and still getting the right balance, they have young staff (surely there was a supervisor on site) the staff have been told to cut down on wastage, and finally, they should have had an alternative ready ??????

Still not good enough and we shall see if the situation has improved by the next time I visit this branch, which again will be after work at the next race meeting in town.

More
14 years 3 days ago #326082 by jeannielea
No, no Yakut it was more like that's how long it took to get one killed!!

More
13 years 11 months ago #329253 by ronnie
I seem to be jinxed with fast food at present [:I]

Went into KFC at around 6pm this evening, to get their quarter pack and we get coleslaw instead of the drinks.

Well, there was a queue out the door, I was next in line, the shop staff were just standing around. Seems they were waiting on the chicken [:0]
A voice from out the back called out "2 minutes". I stood there for at least 5 minutes.
When I finally got to the counter, and asked for my 2 x 2 piece quarter packs with coleslaw instead of the drinks please, imagine my horror at being told "sorry, we have no coleslaw" and no chicken at that time either.

Say WHAT [:0][:0][:0][:0]

Seems they had the large coleslaws, but for some reason no small ones. Since my sugar levels were about boot level at this time, I sort of saw red and told them it was not really good enough. Not only did they have no chicken available at that precise time, but no coleslaw and no offer of anything as replacement.

I left in digust, complaining loudly to the huge and ever growing queue on my way out.

We ended up with fish and chips instead.

Thinking I might ring them on Monday and see what their excuse is.

More
13 years 11 months ago #329450 by ronnie
Rang the KFC branch this morning. The manager was not impressed. Seems there should have been no excuse for them having to wait on chicken either. She had no idea they had run out of coleslaw, as there was a delivery on Friday.
She is going to look into it further.

I know, that was probably what they are trained to say, but I felt better having a vent at them [}:)][;)][;)]

More
13 years 11 months ago #329494 by Stu_R
:) well done ronnie :) ... um some of those young buggers need a boot up the backside at times :(
:) and they will have to at least " please explain" now :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 11 months ago #329544 by Simkin
Those chains get the downgrade chicken, they get it fresh and there is only a certain quantity they get. Once that's sold its gone. Also they don't freeze it. It has to be sprinkled with preservatives and then fried asap. If they want more than what they have pre-ordered (remember when Tegel lost the contract and Ingham (I think) got it?)) they have to pay a lot more for it and that's what your branch obviously refuses to do, Ronnie.

I can also imagine (though I don't know for sure) that each and every branch gets a certain allocation of what's avaiable at the contract price and there is no room for ordering a bit more on a certain day. The other branches would get less and they wouldn't be happy about it. If they have to pay more it takes too much out of their profit.

You may also have noticed that those chicken pieces have a certain size (small) and they won't use bigger pieces, either.

More
13 years 11 months ago #329591 by Dream Weaver
Subway opens here in Otaki tomorrow. will be interesting to see if they take long to run out of chicken lol

More
13 years 11 months ago #329628 by sod
smilie there was a time when they would have been able to walk down the road toget mmore but alas just a memory nowLOL

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 11 months ago #330018 by Dream Weaver

More
13 years 11 months ago #330049 by Azza

ronnie;315797 wrote:
I left in digust, complaining loudly to the huge and ever growing queue on my way out.

Did that make you feel better?
Cant see the point of it myself. Sometimes supply shortages just happen, sometimes human error, sometimes not but lets face it, most of us have to work to survive and the last thing anyone at work needs is "gobby" people making the day longer than it already is.

More
13 years 11 months ago #330057 by Sue

Those chains get the downgrade chicken, they get it fresh and there is only a certain quantity they get. Once that's sold its gone. Also they don't freeze it.

No Simkin, they don't get the down grade chicken, whether it is Inghams or used to be Tegel. They are very specific about size, quality and freshness!!

The size chicken they demand are grown specifically for KFC. The sheds of broiler chickens are targeted for that market, but when you kill 30,000 irds there is a percentage that fit into the correct weight range, and if you are killing KFC that day, then they know they want the least number of under or overweight birds and anything in the correct range goes to KFC. I know because when the Te Horo processing plant operated in this area, our local grown broilers went to KFC when Tegel had the contract.

KFC have very demanding specifications and the birds are grown specifically for their size requirement. I have been to a processing plant watching KFC pieces come down the line-they were doing hot wings or similar when I was there, and the size required was flicked off the belt to the KFC and anything over or under was the stuff that had to find another outlet!

I know many years ago they did a particular promotion on extra meaty wings, was it Buffalo wings(?) not sure but anyway they did this huge promotion, the birds had to be grown a bit bigger to get the size/ weight wing they wanted-but then the by product, breast portions were actually too big for the portion packs for normal retail and there were thousands of large wingless birds in the freezers-then after all the preparation the promotion was a flop and Tegel were left with a whole lot of large wings and big breasts(!) they had to sell at a discount to get rid of. Having the KFC contract is not always what it is cracked up to be!!!

All their chicken is fresh and has a set shelf life, if not sold by a certain date it is frozen by the processor and sold cheap (to the staff) I know-the KFC burgers are yummy! It has to be available for delivery any day of the week, public holidays and all, and always fresh-so if a shop has an unexpected rush and is distant from the distributor, there can be a delay. Like Northland or Southland-the fresh has to come from a long way, perhaps 3 or 4 hours by road or more!

Yes, Sod, are you also remebering the Te Horo plant. I know they gave the service and were prepared to load up and take off with further supplies any hour of the day or night-those were the days!

Not that I'm making excuses, but it must be hard to guage demand for a fresh product correctly and not have wastage either!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds