baby/todler back packs/slings recommendations wanted!

More
12 years 2 months ago #22644 by chicken_itis
:) Can any one recommend (or not recommend) any baby slings or back packs?
I am thinking we might want one for long walks/tramping and for use around home/farm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #325286 by cowvet
Macpac Possum for us. Really comfy for both of us to wear (he's tall) and lots of storage space. I got the sunshade and rain cover to go with ours as well as a neck pillow thingy. Both girls were comfortable sleeping in it.
If considering some decent tramping trips then this is a good one to consider as it is macpac and has a good frame on it.

I also used one of theose Naturesway sling things - didn't like it - not good for my shoulders, neck and back. OK for a small baby around the house but i wouldn't contemplate using one further afield.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 2 months ago #325295 by OakhengeFarm
Please read this article from the latest Consumer mag before purchasing a baby sling - they don't sound very good for a young baby at all.

www.consumer.org.nz/news/view/baby-sling-warning

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
12 years 2 months ago #325303 by thevarneys
Bye Bye Frontier Cruiser - NZ designed and made - very similar to the macpac. Prob not suitable until they can hold up their head well about 6 months. Very well made - ours has done 4 of our children and 3 cousins!

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 2 months ago #325416 by greenfingers
I second cowvets vote against Naturesway slings, especially if you have a large baby! My boy was born 9 lb 5oz and I ended up pulling the muscles in my neck and shoulder. He loved it but I didn't! My daughter absolutely hated it though and I only ever tried her in it twce - she screamed until I took her out of it again.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
12 years 2 months ago #325456 by The dream
Macpac, Kathmandu and think it was a Bye bye frontier cruiser that my sister had for on the farm and loved it. Very comfortable and had a solid pocket base so could sit child down on ground without it toppling over.
Frontpacks good for little babies as keeps them close to you but you can still do things. Just check out how easy they are to put on as you will be hanging on to baby as well. Ours was not that easy to use, especially when we adjusted it for backpack. Not sturdy and could not sit baby down in it.

The man at the top of the hill didn't fall there! [:D][^]

7 acres, 10 sheep, 1 cow, 10 chooks, 4 goats, 3 very spoilt cats. Living the dream.

More
12 years 2 months ago #325459 by Hestia
I used Baby Bjorn to carry mine when bush walking,,and also out on town.
See them sometimes on TM.But it was a long time ago since mine were that small

More
12 years 2 months ago #325508 by clover
Phil & Ted's Pepe frontpack up til about 6-7 months (baby faces Mum when small, then faces outwards once neck strengthens), though this does depend on weight of baby, & we have a Kathmandu backpack for later, used this until older daughter was about 18mths. Found slings very uncomfortable, but found the Naturesway hammock bed great for sleeping when babies were small.

More
12 years 2 months ago #325545 by charlotte1
I used a patapum. It is a soft structured carrier. It is just like a backpack with no frames. Super comfy, I wouldn't hesitate to put my 3 1/2 year old in it now, but my kids are great little walkers!! The framed ones look very bulky, the patapum when not in use I could just roll up and clip it around my waist, looks a little silly but who cares. Takes up no space in the car, cupboard and can be folded/rolled up to go in a bag. Pricey but worth every cent.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds