Belkin wireless router

More
16 years 4 months ago #2258 by max2
Belkin wireless router was created by max2
I have been trying to set up and work my email accounts on the new laptop via a belkin wireless router and find I am having trouble with "holding" the belkin signal for any length of time, esp when I go in to check my emails.... (trying to download address book for laptop).

I turned off digital telephone, Pay TV signal bouncer and the laptop is only 2 foot away from wireless router.

Any other thoughts? (yes I have the wireless switch on the LT turned on[:I]).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #70439 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Belkin wireless router
Swaggie, it sounds like there is something wrong with your Belkin wireless router. For it not to work even at 2 feet separation is pathetic [xx(]

You should expect it to work for at least 10 metres, depending on how much metalwork is in the vicinity. In our Auckland house we have a wireless router downstairs and it works everywhere upstairs as well throughout our house which is quite a decent size at 230m2.

It even works outside on the deck and on the front lawn [8D]

The best way to prove which device is at fault is to take your laptop to a public WiFi Hotspot. Telecom NZ provide them at various places here, and if you are still in Oz, I am sure they will be similarly widespread.

Give your laptop a test at the nearest WiFi Hotspot and let me know how it goes.

P.S. Did your Telecom Mobile Broadband Card arrive yet [?]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
16 years 4 months ago #70461 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Belkin wireless router
Oh yes Grant it arrived today, there was a bit of a delay in getting it to the cousie's place on the north shore for some reason, but she posted to me on Monday and presto, even with the christmas mail overload it was still here within 4 days!

Yippee Kiwi & Aussie Posts..[8D] :p

So that was going to be my next dumb question, in that I was supporting (or going to) my email addys here with the belkin wireless router, and as such, apart from the email facility that Vista supplies, do not have a ISP on the laptop...

Do I recall correctly from B that the USB data card gives me the signal but not the account???

For instance, will (once I have it up and running properly here in Aust from the wireless router) I be able to access my bigpond accounts via the vista email thingo ok? or will I need to have Bigpond or another Kiwi provider on my laptop for the USB data card to work? I already have a G mail account on the desktop, should I download that now on the laptop and have it running once over the ditch to access my webmail from Bigpond?

Secondly, I noticed Skype has a new download for vista dated 12/12, so I was going to download that onto the laptop to give it a whirl at the shed. Any thoughts?
Will the data card cope? I read a blog in NZ (sorry forgot his name but he is based in Wellington) and he has the same data card as I and was raving about the speed of it, so I thought perhaps Skype maybe worth a go then.....

So sorry for the questions Grant, thanks for your patience and advise!

More
16 years 4 months ago #70471 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by swaggie

So that was going to be my next dumb question, in that I was supporting (or going to) my email addys here with the belkin wireless router, and as such, apart from the email facility that Vista supplies, do not have a ISP on the laptop...

Do I recall correctly from B that the USB data card gives me the signal but not the account???

Swaggie, I think you will find that the USB data card does not work in Aussie. It may be possible for Telecom NZ to enable roaming for you, but I wouldn't recommend it because the data charge was $8 per MB last time I looked [:0]

Wait till you get to NZ and only use it here, best to leave it unplugged in the meantime.

For instance, will (once I have it up and running properly here in Aust from the wireless router) I be able to access my bigpond accounts via the vista email thingo ok? or will I need to have Bigpond or another Kiwi provider on my laptop for the USB data card to work?

Vista's e-mail program is called Windows Mail IIRC. I've never used it, but I expect it would be similar to Outlook Express on XP.

This kind of program usually connects to your mailbox via POP3 which isn't very useful when you need to have access to your e-mail from more than one place.

I already have a G mail account on the desktop, should I download that now on the laptop and have it running once over the ditch to access my webmail from Bigpond?

Now you're onto it :) Web Mail is a much better way to access your e-mail when you're away from home.

I would suggest that you setup your Bigpond e-mail to forward all incoming messages to G-Mail. Then you can access them at any Internet Cafe, or of course via your shiny new laptop and USB Data Card when you're in NZ.

Secondly, I noticed Skype has a new download for vista dated 12/12, so I was going to download that onto the laptop to give it a whirl at the shed. Any thoughts?
Will the data card cope?

I am currently using Skype V3.5 and it's great. There are some cool new features that weren't there in V3.0 and earlier.

As I mentioned a few weeks back, Telecom NZ have finished upgrading their wireless EV-DO network to Rev.A. This has boosted the speeds tremendously, so long as you are in an area with 3G coverage. In that case, Skype will work just fine and give you a very cheap means of calling Aussie landlines (3c NZ per minute). If you intend to make use of it, I suggest you buy 10 Euros worth of SkypeOut credit (cost around A$17 or NZ$19). This will give you about 10 Hours of calling to any Aussie or NZ landline number.

If you are out of 3G coverage, the Telecom card will fall back to 1X mode which is about 3x the speed of dialup. Plenty good enough for posting on LSB but not enough for Skype :( I would expect that to be the situation at your farm but you may be pleasantly surprised. By all means give it a try :)

P.S. Have you asked Ben to switch you onto the 1GB+ plan in preparation for your visit? Otherwise, you will be paying $1 per MB which will get very expensive very quickly if you are using Skype.

I'm on the "Flexi" plan at $1 per MB most of the time except when I go to Fieldays or something like that. To keep tabs on my usage, I have arranged for Telecom to set up 3 usage alerts at 5, 10 and 15MB. Today I went over 10MB for the month, and this is the message I received:

quote:This is an automated message from Telecom to let you know that as at 13/12/2007 17:11:06 your mobile device 27xxxxxx has exceeded your nominated 10MB for your mobile over the period 27/11/2007 00:00:00 to 27/12/2007 23:59:59.

These usage emails are sent out shortly after you reach your nominated threshold, there could be a delay of up to 4 hours between the time you exceed this threshold and the time this email was sent.

If you find you are regularly receiving these notifications you may want to consider changing your current data plan.

So when you have a minute to spare, check out www.telecom.co.nz/t3g or www.telecom.co.nz/mobilebroadband to see what the best plan for you is or contact your Telecom account manager.

This is an automated email, please do not reply to this message.

Kind regards

Telecom

It's very handy to have these warnings so I don't get an unexpectedly large bill at the end of the month [^]

More
16 years 4 months ago #70536 by max2
Hi Grant, Ben is going to enable the card a few days before christmas so I can ensure it works from this end before everyone (well you and Ben) depart for holidays so I can still ask blond questions...

In the meanwhile, Ben has signed me up for the 200 plus mobile broadband plan, and when I want to go up and down from the plans, he advises to contact him directly and he will do it, avoiding the "changing" fee. All sounds good! many thanks for organising it for me.

Back to the Belkin. I have just started the lot up and its working fine, even checked my emails for me which it wouldn't do yesterday because of the drop out signal. I shall go and search for some product updates now, but what else could have interferred with the signal to affect it so? At one point it picked up an "un named" signal which was very weak, could this have been neighbours on their computers?

More
16 years 4 months ago #70552 by GrantK

...what else could have interferred with the signal to affect it so? At one point it picked up an "un named" signal which was very weak, could this have been neighbours on their computers?

Yes, it is possible that you could be suffering interference from the neighbour's Wireless Router.

There is a channel setting in your Router which can be changed if you like. Usually I have seen it set to channels 6 or 11. There are 13 possible channels, so I suggest you have a play with the channel selection and see if it helps. As I say, you should get at least 10 metres range from your router.

More
16 years 4 months ago #70627 by max2
Is that manually done on the unit Grant? I can see a reset area on the bottom of the router, but no other "selection" alternatives.

Wonder about the neighbours though, their computers would be further away than 10 metres..... unless they were using something stronger.?

More
16 years 4 months ago #70654 by GrantK

Is that manually done on the unit Grant? I can see a reset area on the bottom of the router, but no other "selection" alternatives.

No, you have to Log In to the Setup Menu of your router in order to change it Swaggie. You should have received a flimsy piece of paper entitled "Quick Start Guide" or something similar with your router.

On that piece of paper, it should tell you which IP address to use so you can Log In to your router. It will probably be one of:

Enter the appropriate address into the address box of your web browser and hit Enter. You will then be asked for a password which is probably something like admin. Again, the Quick Start Guide should have these details.

Failing that, you should have a CD which came with the router which will have a full PDF copy of the User Manual. You may need to do some reading :(

More
16 years 4 months ago #70782 by max2
many thanks Grant, yes I received 2 CD's actually with the router, and I recall it said it was going to ask for a IP addy because I had to follow different instructions being on Vista... I was never actually sure I got that bit right, so happy when it did finally work.

When I had the issues the other day, I actually thought about removing it all from the laptop and starting installation over again.

I do wish though they would come with a hard copy instruction manual in the appropriate language. The laptop came with all these little booklets with 1 page in every book in english. I would have thought it cheaper for them to publish one booklet in the language appropriate to where the LT was being exported to..

More
16 years 4 months ago #70795 by GrantK

...I had to follow different instructions being on Vista... I was never actually sure I got that bit right, so happy when it did finally work.

When I had the issues the other day, I actually thought about removing it all from the laptop and starting installation over again.

You can just as easily configure the router from your desktop PC which -- IIRC -- was running XP [?]

There shouldn't actually be any need to "install" those CDs onto your PC, even though hardware manufacturers typically suggest that you do so.

Personally, I never install any of that crap -- it just clogs up your system. Here is the way I do it:

- Insert the CD into your PC and when it comes up with some fancy installation program, just close it.
- Use Windows Explorer to "Explore" the CD contents, rather than the default action which is to "Open" the CD (and hence run the install program).
- Have a hunt around the CD and copy to your PC's Hard Drive any PDF manual files which appear useful
- Put the CD away in a drawer somewhere, and usually never use it again!
- Open your web browser and type in the IP address which takes you to the router's configuration menus

That's it! No installation of software needed and you can do the configuration from any PC at all. In fact, it's sometimes easier from a wired connection rather than wireless, as if you configure something related to the wireless, that connection will drop, whereas the wired connections will all just keep on trucking...

I hope that helps you get it sorted Swaggie, if you haven't already :)

More
16 years 4 months ago #70822 by max2
Many thanks Grant if I have trouble again I shall certainly give it a go.

did you get two CD's with yours? One is called Network adapter, the other wireless G Router installation s/w and manual. It didn't even say which one should be installed first, or even if they both should be installed, or even which one does what...

I do wish these companies would test their products on people like me before sending them out. I am sure there must (hope) be lots out there just like I who get these things and then wonder what in the world we are meant to actually do with them to get them to work...

More
16 years 4 months ago #70837 by GrantK

did you get two CD's with yours? One is called Network adapter, the other wireless G Router installation s/w and manual. It didn't even say which one should be installed first, or even if they both should be installed, or even which one does what...

I don't have a Belkin router Swaggie, mine are 3Com, ZyXEL and Linksys. But all of these devices are very similar. Generally, they come with just one CD, and as explained above, I never install anything for a router. There isn't any need to.

Most of the CD is usually taken up with manuals and other free giveaway software which is seldom of any value.

It sounds as if one of the CDs is for a Wireless Network Adaptor which may have been supplied together with the Belkin Router. In your case, your laptop has a Wireless Adaptor built in, so you don't need to bother with the Network Adaptor CD at all. Most likely it will contain a driver for that particular device.

More
16 years 4 months ago #70998 by max2
Grant do you think with me installing these CD's, that I might be duplicating the requests and thus confusing the instruction for the wireless thingo to work and hold the signal?

More
16 years 4 months ago #71036 by GrantK

Grant do you think with me installing these CD's, that I might be duplicating the requests and thus confusing the instruction for the wireless thingo to work and hold the signal?

No, probably not. Installing the software from the CDs will most likely have no effect on your router at all because it uses a web interface for the setup functions.

However, if you originally installed something like a Setup Wizard for your router, it could have changed some of the settings.

Best thing is to log in to the router (as explained above) and have a play with the channel settings.

Are you having problems again Swaggie [?]

More
16 years 4 months ago #71071 by max2
Nah Grant I have been down the coast this weekend and haven't started the darn thing up again.... will try tomorrow though.;)

many thanks for your help. Perhaps you should offer to the big pc companies to write that tech manual and test it out on me and Didi:D[8D]

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds