Holiday fun

More
14 years 2 months ago #22556 by jeannielea
Holiday fun was created by jeannielea
I introduced my two grandkids (10 and 7) to hopscotch and they love it. What other things can we do that are simple and different?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #324272 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Holiday fun
When I used to have young ones stay, I taught them card games and board games they didn't have at home. Now that they are parents themselves, they encourage this behaviour with their own kids and fondly remember the weekends they spent with "aunty"

More
14 years 2 months ago #324274 by digby
Replied by digby on topic Holiday fun
My nana used to make us bows and arrows
baking
picnics
huts in the hay
eeling

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #324288 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Holiday fun
With more kids or chair legs ;-) a game of elastics could work.
What is the loop of string between the fingers game called?
The Maori stick games are also fun, and poi can be fun too, including making them.
Again more kids needed, but the game of 4 square was fun and I have not seen it played for ages.
Knucklebones - especially if you have some genuine knuckles for them to boil up for themselves.

More
14 years 2 months ago #324293 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Holiday fun
4 Square came to mind for me also - but have noted that they have it at our school.
Also played banking up and kick the A, basic tag games really.
Simple treasure hunts with clues as you go.
Skipping and elastic games.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 2 months ago #324296 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Holiday fun
We threw three in the front-end loader bucket this afternoon and went out to get a trailer-load of firewood. While the real work was happening, 8yr-old went off for a wander on her own (carrying a whistle for security purposes, in case she felt lost) and had fun making her way around alone in the "bush". I like seeing them take safe risks.

I'll be back here checking for more ideas for tomorrow! How to ward of "I'm bored" and "I want Mummy" for long periods, will be the challenge.

More
14 years 2 months ago #324297 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Holiday fun
bucket of pavement chalk from the Warehouse not expensive and leave them to draw on the concrete/paths and driveway..or whatever else and it washes away next rainfall

More
14 years 2 months ago #324314 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Holiday fun
Cat's cradle is the string game. Here's a link to some games on Squidoo

www.squidoo.com/string-games

You can also make "tractors" out of old cotton reels (The old wood ones were best), Just needs a rubber band, a circle off the end of a candle, wick pulled out and a lolly pop stick or meat skewer for the handle.

There was also something we did which involved a large coat button and a length of cotton or string threaded through. It made a kind of spinning top that worked something like a cross between a yoyo and a top. You place the looped ends of the threads over your middle fingers, hands up palms facing. The trick was to twirl the button to gain a twist between the two threads, and then pull the hands apart, which untwirls the twist but creates an opposite and harder twist due to the weight of the button. This pulls the hands back together, ready to twist back opposite yet again. Depending on the button, some of these would hum.

Cut thin strips of paper and curl against the blade of the scissors. Good for decorations. And for the very adventurous, mosaic patterns put onto a concrete paver; made from coloured tiles which with some glue and grout can be made into really nice garden stones. These can be left as a reminder of the grandchild's visit.
Materials needed. Concrete pavers, coloured tiles, tiling compound and grout, safety glasses and cutters or something to break up the tiles.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
14 years 2 months ago #324317 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Holiday fun
At that age, most of the kids spend a lot of time shooting the .177 air rifle at an Agee jar seal nailed to a post, or at rocks or domino size wood chips balanced along the top of a rail.

It can create some fierce competition to see who can down the most chips with their alloted portion of pellets. :D Plus it can be handicapped by giving the younger a few more pellets than the older so the eventual result is evenly balanced and a proper test of skill, not just the older trouncing the younger as can often happen.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 2 months ago #324321 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Holiday fun
Collect twigs and play pick up sticks, being uneven they add fun and talent to the game. miming games be it a word, TV play, or song. Learning morse and semiphore for brownies back in the 50's was my pasttime, the netty has the "code" that you could print off.. that paid off when I worked in a telephone exchange and needed to know the partyline code to dit -dit- dah for.

More
14 years 2 months ago #324330 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Holiday fun
Boys or girls? Our girl visitors are interested in different activities to our three boys, although there is some cross over.

Treasure hunts are great for a special occasion, but it takes half a day to design one that is over in 20 minutes.

Things that amuse our boys (age 5, 8 and 12):
  • Building huts
  • Climbing trees
  • Turning a flax leaf into something (they mainly made whips)
  • Taking it in turns to hide something (eg a toy) and then the others have to find it
  • Hide and seek
  • Creating their own yu-gi-oh (or pokemon) cards
  • Making a rock creature (you need to give them a large riverstone and a pack of felt tips)
  • If you have a video camera, set them the task of writing, directing and acting in their own movie, and then film it
  • Making paper airplanes - then seeing which flies the farthest
  • Annoying the bejezus out of each other...

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 2 months ago #324341 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Holiday fun
Riverside picnics are still fun at this time of the year, search for the most interesting shaped rock, learn to skim stones on water, run around and make heaps of noise.

Our Large Black piglets have been great fun, the town (and local farm) kids love being able to "put them to sleep" just by tickling their tummies.[;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 2 months ago #324400 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Holiday fun
Some good ideas thanks. This is a boy (7) and Girl (10) so they very competitive which leads to many arguments as in Seasides post! Today we went to Puzzlewood in Greytown where there are lots of different and puzzling activities and they loved it. But of course we had to pay. Stikkibeek I remember tractors and the button thingie so will try those if I can find wooden cottonreels. I bought some pavement chalk today too (had used sheep raddle for the hopscotch) and will try some of the other stuff too. They love riding on the back of the ute or in the mower trailer and helping with various other stuff (we have mulched up one whole side of the driveway) but I wanted to introduce some new things.

More
14 years 2 months ago #324459 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Holiday fun
mud slides
scavenger hunts
tree climbing
sling shots
mosaics
bagging up manure and selling at front gate.
leap frog
walking on drums
Teaching the dogs to jump or do obstacle courses
sliding on plastic sacks
campfires at night - everyone cooks their own sausages on a wire, toast marshmellows, bake potatoes in the fire.
Pulling round on a sledge (bought cheap from PLastic Box I think) behind the quad.

Have a great holiday.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds