I must be turning feminine, I bought a pair of SHOES!

More
12 years 3 months ago #22489 by Kiwi303
For the past two and a bit years, I've just been wearing boots; farm boots, dress boots, gum boots, no shoes since my last pair of good dress shoes wore out, and no sneakers or casual shoes for around 5 or 6 years.

I'm not a big fan of shoes, but even I have to admit that they are better than boots for some jobs. So since I've decided to try and spend more time on my pushbike to keep fit and hold off any encroaching middle age spread as i move closer to hitting 30 later this year, I've bought a pair of sports shoes... for some reason boots and pushbikes don't mix too well :D

It feels strange after all this time, to have the anklebones sticking out above the leather rather than being firmly encased in supportive boots. It'll take some time to get used to them :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323542 by GrantK
Yep, everyone has to grow up some time Kiwi :p

A few years back I bought a pair of Asics walking shoes, and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned for walking long distances. On some days during our round-the-world trip last year, we walked several kilometres. Never once did I get any blisters because the Asics walking shoes are so well designed. Sometimes my feet got a bit achy, but that's to be expected after you have been walking all day.

While working around the farm, I seldom get out of gumboots: 4x4 calf-length for most jobs, or 4x4 knee-length while gorse spraying or walking through the swamp.

I do have some dress shoes, but haven't worn them for many months. Next time will be for our son Daniel's graduation in May as a Master of Engineering (Software). Hell, I will probably even dust my suit off, or hire one if it is no longer up to scratch :cool:

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 3 months ago #323546 by judes
OMG!!! be careful! be really careful! That mid life crisis might get you and shoes are just the start before you know it you might turn into a S.N.A.G!!! ;)

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323602 by beedee
now I have heard of many things making sex changes... but not shoes.... poor K303 you must be going through a crisis.. [pink ribbons in hair... nail polish... etc etc maybe]
youngest middle aged crisis Ive heard of what will happen when he turns 40!!!!!!!
Judes, he already is a snag.. thats why he is on this forum so that his kinder side is always available to those in DIY need!!!!!

More
12 years 3 months ago #323603 by kaponga
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I have tramping boots, gumboots, steel caps, and a pair of sandals since I spend the working day in steel caps and never get my feet tough enough for spending much time barefoot.
Last pair of shoes I bought? White ones for my wedding, and it wasn't through lack of trying to go barefoot for that, either :D

Spent money on in-soles and thats about it [8D]

More
12 years 3 months ago #323607 by max2
Oh Kiwi.... ya poor bugger. Fancy having to buy a pair of shoes at your young age!

Start saving, it will be glasses at 40, dieting beforehand if you can no longer see your man hood from up top, Deep heat (for back pain) at 45, KJ jelly at 50, and .... I see mens incontinance pads are now widely promoted at the supermarkets! :D :D :D :D :D [;)][8D]

More
12 years 3 months ago #323611 by GrantK

swaggie;309518 wrote: Oh Kiwi.... ya poor bugger. Fancy having to buy a pair of shoes at your young age!

Start saving, it will be glasses at 40...

Kiwi has had glasses for a long time Swaggie, no extra expense needed there.

Now, seeing as we are on the topic of glasses, have any of you seen this website:

www.zennioptical.com/home.php

My last pair of prescription glasses (only needed for driving) cost me NZ$56 delivered to my door. It usually takes about 2 weeks from the date of order until they arrive. Inger and I have ordered 5 different pairs of prescription glasses from this website now (mostly prescription sunglasses), and have had no problems with any of them. The most expensive cost NZ$150 delivered. This beats the pants off any deal you will get in NZ, even at the discounters like Specsavers. You just need the prescription from your optician, and ordering is a piece of cake, with an enormous variety of frames available.

swaggie;309518 wrote: ...dieting beforehand if you can no longer see your man hood from up top

LOL :D :D :D

swaggie;309518 wrote: KJ jelly at 50...

I think you mean KY Jelly Swaggie [;)] [;)] [;)]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 3 months ago #323612 by Stikkibeek
Don't worry Kiwi, you won't be truly feminine until you have as many shoes as Imelda Marcos....................but wait, did you get the matching handbag? :p

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 3 months ago #323636 by Kiwi303
Hmm, I'm currently waiting for my pair of glasses to arrive at specsavers nelson from wherever they do the grinding of the lenses. $199 for the pair, one having UV blocker and 80% tint is a good price compared to what I have now, But I am expecting to replace them yearly.

The pair I have on now are rather cloudy from scratches and wear now on the lenses, but the frames are perfect. I've had them for 2.5 years, and wearing them daily in an outdoors lifestyle where crawling through bracken to get a shot at a feral goat, or crashing through the bush after a pig with branches slapping ones face and glasses, is not conductive to long life for something as ephemeral as optical crystal plastics.

Titanium frames like both these daily use glasses and my tinted/coated, polarised driving glasses are well worth the extra cost over normal alloy base metal frames for a farming lifestyle... I've been reaching over the yards trying to drench cattle and having the bugger throw it's head back and headbutt my sending my glasses flying underfoot, with no more damage than a bit of mud on them after being stood on. Then there's the time they fell off when the Quad hit a bump and went under a rear wheel, got a ding in the crystal but the frames were undamaged.

The problem is a single pair of titanium frames alone without lenses, costs more than two pairs of glasses with alloy/steel frames with lenses from specsavers.
I'm a tightwad now I'm not selling Kirbys and am staying on the farm with so much less income :P so cheap glasses it is :P

GrantK, that Zenni optical site looks interesting! I'll have to have a look through there... I may replace my driving glasses with a polarised set from there and relegate the plain tint and UV blocker pair from specsavers to the outdoors work jobs... Wish I'd known about it before last friday and I paid for my specsavers pairs.

Stuff dieting! just do more exercise, like I got the shoes as more comfortable on the bike making the 20Km trip to the village and a 20Km return a couple of times a week :)
lets just it would take a LOT of spreading out to stop seeing my manhood ;) this IS a kids-friendly site :P so no point in getting detailed ;)

As to back pain... I've had that on and off since 4.5 when I had a bad dose of meningitis and the cerebral seizure/stroke that followed. I was paralysed down the left side and in a wheelchair for two years, had to relearn to walk, still have mild ataxia these days, I went from ambidextrous to decidedly right handed. :P

Whats KJ jelly? It can't be KY jelly as that is what the young bucks use before they learn how to play to get things ready to move ;) the older and the more experience should mean less is more ;) lol
I think thats enough innuendo before the web goddess decides it's getting too adult :P

I don't have any handbags... the closest to a handbag i have has bloodstains on it and lots of straps to hold rifles and corpses ;) old canvas ex-German army 24 hour battle day pack from a surplus dealers :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 3 months ago #323652 by hilldweller
Wait 'til you graduate to proper cycling shoes with cleats - now they really do feel (and look) odd! :)

hilldweller

• Jack
12 years 3 months ago #323708 by Jack
Gidday

Bloody god onya mate.

But you getting old, I wish to bloody hell that I was only twice you age.

More
12 years 2 months ago #323750 by Minky2
Well, sorry Kiwi but I am an exception to the 'female, so I must own 20+ pairs of shoes' rule!

I LOATHE shopping and my 3 year old winter dress shoes for work wore out - as in 2 LARGE holes across the sole. Just couldn't face the thought of going to a shoe shop so I polished up my jodhpur boots and wore them to work under my trousers for quite a while hoping no one would notice! :o I really must get round to replacing my shoes but I hate traffic, shopping, crowds, malls and spending money on things I don't want.

Oh, I don't mind Saddlery Shops. Any other females out there like me or am I truly mad like I thought??

More
12 years 2 months ago #323777 by max2

Minky2;309683 wrote: Well, sorry Kiwi but I am an exception to the 'female, so I must own 20+ pairs of shoes' rule!

I LOATHE shopping and my 3 year old winter dress shoes for work wore out - as in 2 LARGE holes across the sole. Just couldn't face the thought of going to a shoe shop so I polished up my jodhpur boots and wore them to work under my trousers for quite a while hoping no one would notice! :o I really must get round to replacing my shoes but I hate traffic, shopping, crowds, malls and spending money on things I don't want.

Oh, I don't mind Saddlery Shops. Any other females out there like me or am I truly mad like I thought??

I dislike shoe shopping simply for the reason that what fits in the shop, usually doesn't by end of a working day. If i buy bigger in the shop they go too big very quickly and are as equally useless.

I have my comfy slip on colorados that I have owned for about 6 years now and they are worn non stop in summer, although i will go back to wearing boots (the same pair) in winter because I slide over if the colorados hit a wet floor (no grip left).

I much prefer to buy books.

More
12 years 2 months ago #323789 by Stikkibeek
I

much prefer to buy books.

But do they slip in the mud? [}:)]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 2 months ago #324083 by Hawkspur

swaggie;309713 wrote: I dislike shoe shopping simply for the reason that what fits in the shop, usually doesn't by end of a working day. If i buy bigger in the shop they go too big very quickly and are as equally useless.

I have my comfy slip on colorados that I have owned for about 6 years now and they are worn non stop in summer, although i will go back to wearing boots (the same pair) in winter because I slide over if the colorados hit a wet floor (no grip left).

I much prefer to buy books.

You sound rather like me with regard to your shoe shopping likes![;)] I have to wear orthotics to make my feet the right shape to fit most shoes because they (my feet) are so flat and thin and have monkey length toes so I hate trying to find shoes. I have a few of shoes but most have task-labels :D :
work-boots (steel caps), tramping boots, riding boots, shoes for volleyball, running shoes, cycling shoes...

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds