ECAN Councillors Sacked

More
12 years 3 months ago #22488 by Simkin
As noone else has started a thread on this I do.

I've started to read the Wyatt Creech report but it is very boring indeed[xx(]

Does anyone know why the council was disfunctional? - Apart from not giving out consents for even more water to be taken.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323518 by sod
Replied by sod on topic ECAN Councillors Sacked
Don't know but it sounds a bit strange imho

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 3 months ago #323527 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic ECAN Councillors Sacked
No idea as regards your question Simkin but was hearing when someone was reported as saying "Greater Auckland by stealth". That sounds familiar when Dame Margaret (who is not a young lady) was appointed to the Role and I am aware that she was one of three on the Greater Auckland Hearings here is Franklin that screwed our area big time. The only time in a 3 hour attendance when I saw her perk up was when the local Maori gave their submission. Check her background! So sue me for that observation. Don't understand the appointment and I would be fighting it all the way as a local - not on who gets the water as I am not familiar with your situation - but the death of Democracy meaning local representation is dead and buried. Check out what has happened to Franklin if you are unaware of that outcome.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323537 by optrex
Replied by optrex on topic ECAN Councillors Sacked
I think Ecan are in a no win situation anyway tbh. For example:

Scenario 1) Farming business intends to buy land, requests water consent, gets turned down. No business.

so instead opts for scenario 2) Farming business approaches council. I want to build this here and create x number of jobs. Council agrees, farmer builds THEN puts in for water consent. Would Ecan say no under pressure from council, farmer business and public?

Therein lies the problem - councils and Ecan have conflict of interests.

NZ Weather Forum
NZ Beekeepers Forum

More
12 years 2 months ago #323554 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic ECAN Councillors Sacked
I'm unaware of what happened in Franklin and I wouldn't mind 'enlightenment'.

I have a couple of friends who have wells that are running dry in summer. Neither is able to afford a deeper well (would cost 30K or more).
Another person I know has had a well for 4 generations and for the last 4 or 5 years they had to buy bottled water for drinking and cooking as their well is now contaminated with Ecoli and has a nitrate content 4 times higher than the WHO recommendation.

Yet John Key personally has experessed that more land in the Canterbury plains should be irrigated for the common good of New Zealanders. Are we not New Zealanders here in Canterbury??

I have seen this Dame on TV. She looks very old but I don't know anything about her.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323593 by judes
Replied by judes on topic ECAN Councillors Sacked
I don't think the government wanted to step in but when councillors are fighting amongst themselves like 2yr olds, a definite, "he said, i said, they said," playground mentality, and a "you will do as I say" attitude. There is no way an effective council could govern in that environment.
this may shed some more light on the situation.
www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/35388...meeting-minutes-show

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323594 by judes
Replied by judes on topic ECAN Councillors Sacked
There is a river here that has had 110% of its capacity consented for taking by ECAN. How can this even happen?

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds