Freshwater Fish in NZ

More
12 years 3 months ago #22475 by Ronney
Freshwater Fish in NZ was created by Ronney
Although I've always known there have been eels in the river, I have never seen them until recently. It maybe because of the dry but they have started to appear in the river next to the bridge and I now have a new occupation - eel watching:D

So, today I dropped some fish guts and a head that some twit had put in their pig bucket, into the river for them then lay on the bridge to watch. I peeped over the edge to have a look under the bridge just in time to see a bright orange fish disappear into the weed. I saw it long enough to note it's colour, that it was about 12" long and that it's shape appeared to be roundish. The closest I can find is Rudd but it didn't say anything about the bright orange colour. I'm hoping it's not koi carp, the picture I found of that showed some orange but not the whole fish being that colour.

Anybody knowledgable about freshwater fish?

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323350 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Freshwater Fish in NZ
DOC have previously put out calls for people to ring them if they see koi carp in Northland, as unfortunately you do have them.

Read here for more info , plus an image of a koi...

And here's a story about a giant one... which fortunately was a one-off.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323352 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Freshwater Fish in NZ
Definitely voting for koi after seeing the photo on the second link above.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323357 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Freshwater Fish in NZ
Goldfish? They grow quite big if they are given the space and they do survive in ponds and slow flowing water.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323366 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Freshwater Fish in NZ
Body depth would give good clues, as even big goldfish don't get that very heavy look that the koi has. Unfortunately from the top they can look similar. I've see the damage done by koi when they have come up with floodwater on the Waikato river banks. As if it's not bad enough get saved pasture contaminated, but if flood water recedes quickly, the koi will still have grazed off the pasture. Someone ought to look seriously at harvesting koi from the waikato and turning them into fish fertilzer. Would keep the numbers under a little bit of control

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 3 months ago #323379 by DiDi
I can't imagine any goldfish surviving eels in the stream no matter how mature or big they are. Now I am wondering what I need to know about koi. I have a dam not obviously (but) connected to the local waterway so how do they behave? Can they swim up stream and get into your dam?

I have watched with facination the ducks that have been off and on my dam for the past weeks and it goes from 3 to 20 in a heartbeat. Today there was a hawk that was swooping down on the dam and I was blown away watching all the ducks "swarming" together in the middle as if to say "you take me on, you take us all on" and the hawk left.

Nature facinates me and I wonder in the same thread how you Ronnie were not aware of the orange fish until you spilt "guts" into the stream and it came alive so to speak. Can eels and Koi cohabitate? I would have thought the koi would attack the eels.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323406 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Freshwater Fish in NZ
Koi are grazers, herbivores, so they won't attack eels. more is the eels would attack koi fry, but koi simply breed so vigorously!

The fish disappearing into the grassy weeds of the bank is a defensive reaction to Ronnie's' head appearing over the bridge to look around, a predator type behaviour :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 3 months ago #323415 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Freshwater Fish in NZ
It's unfortunate that I wasn't able to get a better look at it but from the time I saw it to when it disappeared into the weed would have been the distance of about 3 feet. I'm thinking that it is probably koi, keeping in mind that dead fish lose their colour very quickly and the photos that I've found and that you put up PG, are all of dead fish.

I've only found one other fish and that was in a drain next to a gate I was putting the cows through. It was very dead and grey in colour. I was going to clamber in and pull it out after I had got the cows away but when I came back it had gone - thanks Bill :)

The eels were not disturbed by it being there and continued to come up and feed on my offered rubbish. I am also interested in the fact that I saw it at all and wonder what sort of impact the dry is having on the aquatic life. I shall continue to lie on the bridge and watch, no doubt confirming the opinion of passing motorists that the lady in Fairburn is completely wacky.[^]

Didi, nature, imported or native, has always fascinated me and I take it as a compliment that everything that arrives on this farm, domestic and otherwise, seem to be able to cohabit amicably. I'm sure I would achieve far more if I stopped watching preying mantis, spiders, eels, plovers, the calf and ram become good friends, the Pukes standing back waiting to see what Shorty pig will leave behind out of her dinner........ Tonight when I went to feed the boar two young pheasant hens scuttled off about 20 feet and then waited. On my way out of the paddock I stopped at the gate to see what they did - they were standing on the edge of his trough helping him consume dinner.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
12 years 3 months ago #323439 by DiDi
Nature can be a bummer too! I saw my cat stalking birds this morning and told her off. "You can have mice, rats and bunnies - but not birds!" Ten minutes later she comes in the house with a baby mouse and what did I do? Take it off her and put it out in the garden. Good grief. The actual reason is that I am trying to get her to keep her dinner outside the house. My hall looks like a killing field from her overnight feasting.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds