Maddening flashing thing ...

More
12 years 3 months ago #22459 by Isla
I could perhaps quietly mention to Kate that I'm finding the flashy advert strip at the top of the page really, really annoying, but thought I might be alone in that sentiment and had better check.

Does that flashy advert bar drive you mad?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323203 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Maddening flashing thing ...
I don't notice it really...I much prefer that to the (for example) Herald site where the damn ads cut right into the middle of an article!

But the fact that I don't notice it will not be welcome news to the advertisers!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 3 months ago #323205 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Maddening flashing thing ...

tigger;309076 wrote: ...But the fact that I don't notice it will not be welcome news to the advertisers!

:D I think I'm evolutionarily far closer to my ancestors: movement requires attention, in case it indicates the presence of a lion. Thus whizzy ads are unbearable when I'm trying to concentrate on something. Just one of those intriguing brain differences ...

More
12 years 3 months ago #323206 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Maddening flashing thing ...
Must admit I too hadn't even noticed it. It disappears the second you scroll down to read threads (assuming we are talking forum) so not sure what you mean by "have to scroll down". Doesn't everyone? I also run my pages at 125% as it is easier for me to read.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323207 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Maddening flashing thing ...
Which thing is that???

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 3 months ago #323208 by Hawkspur
I use Mozilla Firefox with the Adblock plus and Noscript add-ons, so I ticked the "I don't notice it" option, because for me these ads do not exist. :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #323210 by terralee

Isla;309078 wrote: :D I think I'm evolutionarily far closer to my ancestors: movement requires attention, in case it indicates the presence of a lion. Thus whizzy ads are unbearable when I'm trying to concentrate on something. Just one of those intriguing brain differences ...

[:0][:I]:o I thought you wrote the presence of a loin[:0][:I]:o ...I don't mind it too much up the top but mine has been flashing in the middle of the screen too ...now that is annoying [:(!]but I think it might just be my computer:confused:
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 3 months ago #323211 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Maddening flashing thing ...
I get it whenever I click Active Topics.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323212 by OakhengeFarm
I'm with Hawkspur - Adblock Plus is a wonderful tool. The flashing was annoying until I blocked the ads.

I don't mind ads on this page - it has to be paid for somehow; but it's the flashing that drives me nuts. In turning off the flashing, I now don't get the ads at all - not what the advertiser wants, I'm sure!

Maybe we can have ads that don't flash at you all the time? Static images?

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
12 years 3 months ago #323213 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Maddening flashing thing ...
Leonie. its not just your computer - I get them flashing down the page as well. I shall vote for the most annoying option as I find it so.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323214 by wyseyes

Hawkspur;309081 wrote: I use Mozilla Firefox with the Adblock plus and Noscript add-ons, so I ticked the "I don't notice it" option, because for me these ads do not exist. :)

I also use Firefox, with addons Adblock Plus, and Flashblock.
Not only does Adblock stops unwelcome ads and images, but they don't even download. Saves bandwith and speeds up the page viewing.

Flashblock replaces any flash movie with a little 'play' button. If you want to see it, push play. Otherwise it won't download or distract.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
12 years 3 months ago #323215 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Maddening flashing thing ...
That one small ad doesn't bother me at all.

As Tigger said, NZ Herald is among the worst offenders in that they use ads which pop up and download video content without asking for your permission. That really annoys me when I'm on the road and the data consumed by the video content is costing me 10c per MB. The MetService also have an excessive amount of flashing scrolling ads on their site IMO.

Kate's website has about the least ads of any that I visit regularly, so no complaints at all from me.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 3 months ago #323216 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Maddening flashing thing ...
See now I am noticing the darn things! [}:)]

I don't mind the ones where a word changes or slides in, but yes, the flashing bit is (now) annoying.

Thanks - its like getting a tune stuck in your head when someone hums it within your range of hearing [}:)][}:)][}:)]

But has already been said, I keep in mind also that this is a free site and the advertisers help keep it so...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 3 months ago #323221 by optrex
Replied by optrex on topic Maddening flashing thing ...
Yes its really really annoying, but what you have to remember is that it generates revenue for Kate and I am sure, it plays an important role in terms of keeping the site running. I have a growing free hobby based forum and the google-ads revenue stream helps (along with member donations and of course my own wallet) to pay for the servers and hosting.

I do think its about finding a nice balance though and I was able to turn off the adverts for members (guests still see it) because my community was happy to utilise a donation feature instead. Your other alternative is to use advert blocking software (or browser plug-in) in which case you wont see it at all

NZ Weather Forum
NZ Beekeepers Forum

More
12 years 3 months ago #323222 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Maddening flashing thing ...
Drives me nuts and even more so when it arrives in the middle of the screen while I'm waiting to get into something.

It probably has the opposite effect to that intended in that I couldn't tell you what the advert is for - and if I could, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds