Young people, yet again a duck question

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #22411 by ronnie
I just went for my nightly walk with the dog. Whilst we are out, we stop on the bridge over the stream and feed the lovely, obviously people raised, new ducks that appeared a couple of weeks ago. These ducks have no fear of people and as soon as you call out, they reply and come a flapping towards your voice.

This evening, there was a group of young people (around 15 years old I would guess) in the middle of the bridge. One of their number was happily throwing stones at the ducks, who were waiting for their night time treat of bread. I yelled at them to stop throwing stones, to which they replied "we weren't throwing them at the ducks, just in the water" yeah right [:(!][:(!][:(!]

I tried to explain to these young folk that some miserable git had handraised these ducks and then dumped them in the stream with the wild ducks. These tame ducks have no fear of people and were therefore open to this kind of abuse. The young folk showed no interest and were not amused at being told to stop what they were doing.

Then they walked over the bridge and down past my gate, where the cattle had congregated for a pat (or perhaps a treat in someones pocket). Next thing, ALL the cattle headed in the opposite direction at a great rate of knots. I suspect, but did not see, that they also threw stones at my cattle. This behaviour is why my cattle no longer come up to the fence for a pat, unless it is us standing at the fence.

It is a worry that these young people have no respect for animals - either wild (or tame) or other peoples pets. I suspose I should be grateful they didn't try to kick my dog while they were about it [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #322564 by sod
Maybe they know dogs bite and you might too:):)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #322566 by The Kats Place
can you get the local bobby to have a chat?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #322575 by sod
Ducks to-day next they just move up the scale till its people or anything thats not theirs

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #322618 by LongRidge
Unfortunately, that behaviour is exactly the same as the kids that I knew, 50 years ago. Obviously kids these days are very stupid or they would have learnt from our example that this sort of behaviour is just stupid!!!

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #322694 by Stu_R
um ... when you work at a primary school .. you understand why :(
7 year olds telling the headmaster " nah, i am not doing that, go get f***ked, and there is nothing you can do about it"
Kids these days are protected by the PC rules, and they know it ... they can do what ever they want when they want :(

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #322698 by ronnie
The ducks were waiting for us again tonight. It's quite nice to hear them calling to you, if they hear me talking to the dog. Tonight I also saw them waggle their tails whilst eating the bread. Even the smaller one (brown and white one, probably the female) was vocal went I went to leave tonight.

Can tame ducks survive ok in the wild?? Do they know where the food source even comes from?? I hope they have learnt fast from the wild ducks. They seem so happy to see me with my bag of bread each day.

I might have a word with the local bobby tomorrow as it would be a shame if the local kids pelted them to death with stones.

More
14 years 1 week ago #323558 by Ducking Around
Its like that duck that got shot with the crossbow a few years ago, how long will it take till these kids think that sort of thing is fun too.

More
14 years 1 week ago #323562 by sod
It is very relaxing to feed and watch ducks on water I find so hope it keeps just like it is now:)

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds