Good logburners?? Decisions, decisions!

More
12 years 3 months ago #22388 by Orbell
I need to put a new logburner in before winter in my chilly old villa! Ideally toasty warm, clean air approved and on a wetback. The current two prime contenders are the Firenzo Contessa (with a 1.2kw booster) and the Osburn 1600 (with a 2kw wetback).

Does anyone have experience with these? Or can recommend anything else?

During the week I only have the fire on when I get home from work (say 6-10pm). I have heard that the Lady Kitchener can take a long time to heat up (up to 1 1/2 hours). Can anyone comment on this, and whether it applies equally to the Contessa? I really want to be as warm as possible as quickly as possible! [8D]

Also, can anyone say whether having a wetback/booster with such a low kw is worthwhile? I'm concerned that, given I'm only burning it for 3-4 hours a night, I may not see any real value.

Any expertise / advice would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322218 by Simkin
Hi Orbell,

welcome.

there have been a couple of threads regarding woodburners recently. Just do a search for 'Lady Kitchener' and they should come up.

Contessa and Lady Kitchener are the same, only turned 90 degrees, depending on the kind of space you have available.

We have a Lady Kitchener and if you sit in front of it and leave the door open the heat is instant :D

It keeps the heat for a long time, too. We have a wet back and it takes about 2 hours to heat our water cylinder which is a relatively small one. It is a brilliant wood burner. It depends a bit on the type of wood you are burning how long it takes to heat up - like all other wood burners, really. Dry pine will heat it up much quicker than damp wattle.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322223 by Stikkibeek
We have a Magnum P100 which has provision for a wetback, although we didn't connect it due to the type of dishwasher we had which took hot water. (Installer advised it would melt the plastic components) It is small, tidy and extremely efficient, both in output of heat) and input of wood.

Can't help you with the others though, except parents in law have a masport and it is GREEDY

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 3 months ago #322225 by beedee
I also have a magnum P100 got it about 96 me thinks and only had the wetback fitted when I got a new water tank 2 yrs ago, it takes about 3hrs to heat up but I only put one bit of wood on at time, so no rip roaring fire to achieve that. and it drops my power bill by about $20-30 month as I turn off the h/water tank from June until sept.
It feels good to know that one match gives the cats/dog/myself warmth.. dries the clothes and I can have lucious long hot showers!!!

More
12 years 3 months ago #322241 by Minky2
Hi and Welcome

We put an Ethos in a Villa a couple of years ago. It was extremely efficient and clean but did seem to use a lot of wood - but then we were using fairly small pieces.

It only took about 20 mins to start really warming up a fairly large high ceiling room - after about an hour you could open the door and it would start to heat up the adjoining rooms as well.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322255 by tomd
We use a metro mega rad.....22 kw output with a 4 kw wet back....truck loads of hot water and easly heats our living area of 72 square meters, high ceiling 2.9 meters, it also has a large cooking area.
Down side to it , we live in a very high wind zone and the wind whistling is shocking....What would I do that is different...I would go for the model that draws the combustion air from the outside...Which would do away with the wind whistling

More
12 years 3 months ago #322256 by 4trees
Hi, We have had a 3 wood burners over the years, and now always buy one a bit bigger than is required by the charts they use in the shops as to the Kw recommended. We find we don't have to have it going full on all the time when it is extremely cold, it still heats the space really well. Also we find that we don't burn out the firebox the same, because we don't have to keep it stoked so much. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
12 years 3 months ago #322258 by max2
I have some detailed posts here from last winter with our experiences with a metro bought at the previous years field days at Hamilton.

anyhow an update on my posts is that we bought the H hat for the chimney and this week I thought I would give it a whirl again and whilst the H hat seems to stop the blow back we were getting from the chimney during windy days, I am still getting a lot of smoke and smell back into the house when we have a fire.

The chimney and internals are most definately clean.

We have had an Osborne in one house in Aussie (not happy with that) the metro here, and a jotul in our last house in Aussie. the Jotul wins hands down out of the three.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322310 by tehoro
We installed an Osburn with the wetback a couple of years ago.

I suppose I'm generally happy with it - it certainly puts out plenty of heat, a hot lounge is no problem. It does take a little while to heat up as there is a lot of thermal mass involved.

We did get told not to burn too much gum after having problems with the stove paint discolouring on the top. We didn't realise this when we bought the thing, but the retailer says that applies to all types of logburners (hardwood is too hot). The secondary air tube and brick support plate needed to be replaced which we didn't pay for.

There isn't a lot of choice in emissions legal log burners with wetbacks. If you can handle the fuel restrictions I think the Osburn is an OK choice.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322316 by Xartep
Contessa or Kitchener are my all time favorites. Way better than the masport in our current house. And the after sales service is excellent. They are essentially the same unit, just with the doors on different sides. Never had an issue with the Kitchener taking a long time to heat up, but I used to fill it before bed and again in the AM, and it kept the house cosy.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 3 months ago #322334 by DiDi
Number one hint - make sure your wood is DRY DRY DRY and the fire will heat much quicker. I use manuka that has been stored up to two years and it is wonderful.

Sorry, can't comment on the fireplaces as I have had a crappy Masport for many years and would never buy another one. Thus the hot burning wood. I know from having been on this site for a long time that the Contessa/Kitchener have always been most people's favourite. I know a fire place installer who also say Contessa hands down.

Do you have to have an "eco" fire in Dunedin? If over a certain acerage up here you don't have too. Rightly or wrongly I was told they are designed to go out fairly quickly if not topped up so not smoking so to speak.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322409 by ravenseyes
We put in a Yunca - which can burn coal as well as wood and you can take the top grill off to make a hotplate. We don't have a wet back but our house is about 380 sq m or m sq I can never remember and we run a 7 room heat transfer system plus heat the lounge/dining/kitchen from it and stay toasty all winter.

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322415 by blimeyvicki
I just found this little list on the Consumer website re woodburners. The contessa seems to rate fairly low for some reason, not sure why? Might be useful though.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322483 by LongRidge
With our Lady Kitchener (ie sideways Contessa) the main problem we have is that the internal bricks get very brittle, so to avoid breaking them you have to be careful to not bash them when stoking the fire.
If you have a 2-storied house with the fire downstairs then you must use dry wood, and you must burn it hot for 1/2 hr after lighting up.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322537 by Orbell
Thanks for the welcome and all the advice!

The clean air regs down here are a bit limiting - the magnumP100 with wetback isn't clean air approved, nor are any of the yuncas. And the Contessa is only approved with a 1.2kw booster - not the full 3kw wetback.

Vicki - thanks for the referral to the consumer list, the Contessa's rating is on the low side - which is one of the reasons I'm hesitating! If only consumer rated them on heat output and customer satisfaction as well as clean air and efficiency this task might be easier :)

Can anyone in the Contessa/Kitchener camp tell me how long it takes them to start throwing out heat once they're lit?

Hmm, the deliberations continue!

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds