cheap second hand car!

More
12 years 3 months ago #22344 by celt
cheap second hand car! was created by celt
To continue the buying cars theme. Our Ford Mondeo station wagon has died and we need a small, economical second car as a run around. Don't want a japanese import. We don't want to go over $12k if we can avoid it, 2003 at the oldest, as low mileage as possible, fuel efficient and not high maintenance cost (eg. european models), enough room in the back for a med size dog. Yes I know..... wish list. Most people say Toyota Corolla hatchback or station wagon. Anyone have any thoughts on these or any other suggestions.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #321761 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic cheap second hand car!
Do you need to fit other people in as well as a dog?
We easily fitted two 40kg dogs and holiday gear in something similar to this (this model is an import)but a newer model where the seats folded down flatter, but it would not suit you if you need to carry 3+ people and the dog

More
12 years 3 months ago #321762 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic cheap second hand car!
We had a 1994 Corolla wagon for many years, and it ran on the smell of an oily rag and was trouble-free. It was called "Corolla G Touring" and later models were called "Corolla L Touring" I think. My sister had one which was made in 2000, and also had a great run with it. A few years after that, they switched to the "Corolla Fielder", which seem to have a bit more ground clearance. That would be my one criticism of the G Touring/L Touring wagons, in that they were a bit low to the ground.

All of these models were sold new in Japan though -- not NZ. TBH, I don't think you have any chance of finding a NZ-new Corolla Wagon, 2003 or later for $12k. But if you are willing to look at an import -- preferably Signature Class or SBT vehicle -- it shouldn't be a problem.

If you go to this web page:

www.toyota.co.nz/UsedVehicles/

you will find a great selection of 2003 Corolla Fielder Wagons for between $14k and $16k.

We have bought a number of Signature Class vehicles over the years, and had a great run with all of them.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 3 months ago #321772 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic cheap second hand car!
Toyota corolla s/w manual diesel - will be an import but a great all purpose cheap running workhorse

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 3 months ago #321775 by celt
Replied by celt on topic cheap second hand car!

Hawkspur;307493 wrote: Do you need to fit other people in as well as a dog?
We easily fitted two 40kg dogs and holiday gear in something similar to this (this model is an import)but a newer model where the seats folded down flatter, but it would not suit you if you need to carry 3+ people and the dog

4 +dog.

Grantk $16k is more than we want to spend at the moment.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

More
12 years 3 months ago #321776 by celt
grantk did you go for automatic or manual gear box?

More
12 years 3 months ago #321779 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic cheap second hand car!
Errrm, what on earth leads you to believe that European brands are cheaper to maintain than Japanese ones???

AND whats wrong with a Jap import? Do you mean all Jap imports or just second hand ones?

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
12 years 3 months ago #321780 by GrantK

celt;307509 wrote: grantk did you go for automatic or manual gear box?

We had a manual because IMO, 1.5L is too small for an Auto. I have driven Auto vehicles with small engines and they are gutless slugs. Our daughter has a 1.8L Corolla Auto and that goes reasonably well. But 1.5L is just too small for auto.

Have a look at this page on Trade Me:

www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.a...alSearch_suggested=0

There are plenty of 2003 - 2004 Corolla Fielders in the $10k to $12k price range.

There is the occasional one with a 1.8L engine and Manual Transmission. That would be my pick for cheap running cost and good performance. Otherwise, go for a 1.8L Auto, but don't touch 1.5L Auto or you will be disappointed.

More
12 years 3 months ago #321786 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic cheap second hand car!
I bought a used Toyota Carib (Corolla) SW import through Toyota under their SBT scheme (Sold By Toyota). It came with a three year guarantee, and AA Certification on the speedo reading.

Personally, that was enough to reassure me on it as an import, plus the fact that several of my friends are still driving around in Toyota SWs from the late 1980s with no problems. The only issue was the previous owner must have been a smoker, because if the AC is not used for a few days, I get that horrible whiff of stale smoke through the vents when it first turns on.

Although not impressed AT ALL with the particular Toyota dealership I dealt with, the car itself has been great. It's a 1.6L, so not quite as economical as my little 1.3L Hyunda (boy, do I miss it, seriously, best car EVER, and I could have bought another one, I would have). It does 440km to one 35l tank of petrol (12.5km per litre) and it could probably do a lot better than that if I didn't have such a lead foot going over the Bombay Hills. It's a 1995, and had done 39,000km when I bought it a few years ago for $9500.

I'd back Grant, and actually go one further and say my car is pretty gutless too when it comes to hills, hence my lead foot.

With the back seats down I can fit three bales of hay. In the boot at the moment is a big sack of lucerne, two 25kg bags of Peck n Lay and two 15 litre bags of kitty litter. In the back seat is a basket of washing, a tyre, a box of tiles and my shopping for the week (don't ask, it's a long story having all this in my car!).

The only problem with it - again, only due to the particular dealer - was resolved brilliantly by Toyota NZ, and apart from the usual maintenance stuff, it's still purring away.

Oh, and it has airbags.

More
12 years 3 months ago #321787 by Pumpkingirl
Could I also suggest the Turners Auction. I know I was brought up to be very wary of buying at auction but a lot of the DHBs and other big government departments change their fleet cars quite often and you can get fantastic bargains on NZ-new vehicles with a full service record.

For example, my cousin bought a really nice Hyundai sedan, 60,000km, nice condition, 2005, for $6000. Bargain of the century I thought.

And before anyone jumps on me about Hyundais, the Dog & Lemon Guide man believes Hyundai will probably overtake Toyota this year or next as the best car manufacturer in the world.

More
12 years 3 months ago #321794 by GrantK

Pumpkingirl;307520 wrote: Could I also suggest the Turners Auction. I know I was brought up to be very wary of buying at auction but a lot of the DHBs and other big government departments change their fleet cars quite often and you can get fantastic bargains on NZ-new vehicles with a full service record.

When buying our last vehicle, we looked at Turners Auctions. Maybe it was the kind of vehicle we were looking for (a car for Inger's mother), but we didn't see any well-cared for vehicles there. They all had pieces missing or damaged, just not the kind of straight/immaculate vehicle we were looking for. Also, they don't let you drive the vehicles propertly, only around a yard out the back of their building. No good if you want to check for vibrations at motorway speeds.

We ended up making a shortlist from Trade Me, and then drove around Auckland to see them all.

Pumpkingirl;307520 wrote: And before anyone jumps on me about Hyundais, the Dog & Lemon Guide man believes Hyundai will probably overtake Toyota this year or next as the best car manufacturer in the world.

Yes, I have seen his comments as well. Nothing against Hyundai, but I would always prefer Toyota if they produce the kind of vehicle I am looking for at the time.

More
12 years 3 months ago #321795 by celt

FencerMan;307512 wrote: Errrm, what on earth leads you to believe that European brands are cheaper to maintain than Japanese ones???

AND whats wrong with a Jap import? Do you mean all Jap imports or just second hand ones?

I meant european models ARE high maintenance. Yes second hand ones. Even with supposed certified mileage couple of friends who work in garages locally say they are convinced some are still clocked.

More
12 years 3 months ago #321796 by Pumpkingirl

GrantK;307527 wrote: Nothing against Hyundai, but I would always prefer Toyota if they produce the kind of vehicle I am looking for at the time.

I thought that too, until I bought a Toyota. the experience with the dealer was so bad, it would not make me want to deal with those particular people again.

My Hyundai did 340,000km, never had a mechanical breakdown, still did 500km for its 35L tank the whole time, and I worked out by the time I sold it, it had cost me (including purchase price) $17 a week for the entire time I had it.

Never met a Toyota that could beat that. Only problem, no airbags.

More
12 years 3 months ago #321799 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic cheap second hand car!
I'd lean towards a SR16 or SR18 powered Nissan, a Pulsar maybe.

Toyotas are good, but I'm a bit of a Nissan fanboi.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 3 months ago #321815 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic cheap second hand car!
Toyotas must be the most reliable car in the world ...Daughter and SIL have a 1994 or thereabouts toyota Corolla (they bought it about 1996)...SIL is a mechanic , owns his own workshop on Aucklands north shore and the only thing he's ever done to this car is the belt thingie ...it has now got nearly 1,000,000 ks on clock ( could have gone over by now) ...they have owned it for years and years ...I think his Mum drives round in it now as they need towing vehicle and have some big thing but the corolla was not worth selling ...in that you would not get anything for it ...probably still be going in another 20 years and another 1,000,000 ks!!!!!
While on the subject ...we want to buy a new car too have had our current one since 1999 but our 1993 Toyota Windom/Lexus won't stop ..still drives like a new one , never misses a beat, flys thru' WOF, is amazingly economical for a big car, tows double horse float with horses or chooka full of hay with ease and we too wouldn't get it's value if we were to replace it now so for time being are just sticking with it ... inside is nearly as new and outside could do with little tidy up (nice new paint job:)) tho' it has been garaged since we bought it so is in awesome condition for age .....TOYOTA rocks:)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds