'Holiday' auto message for emails - help!

More
12 years 3 months ago #22304 by reggit
I have done this before but not often enough to remember how to set it up - can someone please remind me?

Having two weeks break from email, internet, mobile phone and home phone. Probably will barricade my front door and not answer that too. Talk about sensory deprivation!

Oooh, that means no LSB either...:(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #321313 by spoook
Outlook or Outlook Express??

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 3 months ago #321314 by reggit
Outlook...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 3 months ago #321315 by Hawkspur
If you have a Microsoft Exchange Server click:
Tools then
Out of Office Assistant
(if this doesn't come up as an option you are not on an MSE server)then depending on the version either:
Send Out of Office auto-replies or I am currently Out of the Office

there will be options in some of these and a chance to put some explanatory message.

If not on an MSE server you will need to set up a rule to add an auto message. This is under
Tools
Rules and Alerts

More
12 years 3 months ago #321317 by reggit
Mmm neither of those are what I am looking for Hawkspur, I know somewhere on there is a simple 'holiday message' you can click on and customise, have used it before but just can't find it now...

More
12 years 3 months ago #321318 by spoook
Try this Tiggs

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 3 months ago #321322 by kiwi_jon
The problem with using 'Out of Office' or email rules in Outlook is that your PC must be running, connected to the internet and have Outlook open all the time, automatically downloading emails.

The best way is to log into your account at your ISP and there should be an option to set an Autoresponder message. Where this is located will vary from ISP to ISP. It may even be an option in webmail. Your ISP should be able to help you either by phone or help pages on their website. This way incoming email will be responded to whether your PC is turned on or not.

Autoresponders should only respond once per sender email address. The sender will not get another message if they send another email.

More
12 years 3 months ago #321324 by GrantK
I have all e-mail for Inger and myself routed through Gmail's servers and they have an excellent auto-responder function. You just type in whatever response you want people to receive as well as the first day and last day you want it to be active, and presto ... job done :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 3 months ago #321329 by reggit

kiwi_jon;307013 wrote: The best way is to log into your account at your ISP and there should be an option to set an Autoresponder message. .

Kiwijon, that is exactly what I was after! I knew I had used this function before but in a senior moment thought it was in Outlook, and forgot it was on the ISP website. It is now all set up and ready to go [;)] thanks heaps.

More
12 years 3 months ago #321330 by TKFARMER
all of our emails are done via gmail to.yes grant it is a good auto message service so simple to use. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
12 years 3 months ago #321331 by reggit
I imagine I am going to go into withdrawals before day one is out. Different if you are going away somewhere on holiday, but when you are staying at home with the computer lurking in the home office, tempting you...

The problem is that my work and home stuff is all interconnected, as are my work colleagues and personal friendships. If I don't make a total break for my 'holiday', I will end up thinking about work, which is what I want to avoid for a couple of weeks as I 'detox' from work stuff to recharge my batteries without the benefit (or expense) of a South Pacific Island resort to hide in - so total technology deprivation it is!

Good that I have a limitless (almost!) supply of books to catch up on [;)] but it does make you realise how insidious technology (and work) is in invading your personal space - a blessing and a curse!!

More
12 years 3 months ago #321336 by beedee
Not sure if you are yet on your holiday... but take care Tiggs and we shall be waiting for you when you get BACK

More
12 years 3 months ago #321355 by Toast
Have a great holiday!

Get into those good books, I'm sure they will distract you!

Best wishes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
12 years 3 months ago #321363 by hilldweller
Enjoy your break Tigger. Will look forward to seeing you back on here in a couple of weeks.

hilldweller

More
12 years 3 months ago #322031 by reggit
Wow, five days so far with no telephone (occassional sneaky texts though!) and no email, just checking in and...there are 109 active topics to catch up on LSB, geez you guys natter!! - I'm back to bed, its just too much...[}:)] :D

Too afraid to check emails as there will no doubt be hundreds (literallly) by now. If I sneak a look I'll get dragged into reading them.

Having a lovely time catching up on my books. One more week to go as long as I don't cave in and connect back with the real world [;)]

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds