Anyone bought a Red Shed freezer??

More
14 years 1 month ago #320773 by jeannielea
We bought a freezer from friends about 3 years ago and it was quite elderly even then. It seals well and has not yet missed a beat (and today took 2 beasts and a calf with some careful packing). So I'd certainly be looking at second hand before going to the red shed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #320808 by ccrk9
Thanks everyone. I dont think I will try Red Shed freezers....I cant do secondhand as we are so broke I need a no deposit interest free deal which never seems to be offered on secondhand goods. I hate the thought of finacing it like this but its getting urgent.

I must admit the second hand ones I have seen have been only a couple of hundered $ less than the new ones anyway, so might as well pay the price for a new one and get the warrenty. Was amused at one secondhand place who had a dented new freezer for $200 off the price - only trouble was the new undented ones in the same shop over the road were also $200 off...so exactly the same price. Will have a look at other brands besdes F & P.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
14 years 1 month ago #320812 by cantyguy

Yakut;306338 wrote: Yeah, we bought one... useless! Check the seals! Our one never ever sealed... well not unless you put something heavy on top of it. It is now empty and turned off and I use the top of it for sorting out the feed bins. It iced up so badly the lid lifted up. Trouble is, they are usually sold in the box so unless you open it up and take out the packing, you're not going to know if it's sealing properly.

Kim has also started telling the checkout operator not to bother taking DVD's out of their cases so they can show us there is no damage. Some of them take the disc out, show you then try and put the DVD back in with a lot of shuffling the disc about.

It's a bit of a lucky dip buying anything from there, especially if it's in a box. We bought a barbecue ages ago, just one of those kettle charcoal burning ones. Kim started putting it together but couldn't match up the holes to bolt it.... the holes had been drilled in the wrong place on one of the legs so it had to be taken apart and repacked and taken back. Pain in the......... The new one is now awaiting a trip to the rubbish dump.... it rusted out really fast and fell apart.

I'd look around and check out second hand ones from reputable dealers. So many ripoff artists out there now. Just check the seals!

Yakut

So why on earth did you not return it?

More
14 years 1 month ago #320818 by oskatd
I bought a second hand kelvinator chest freezer over 10 years ago, god knows how old it is (probably 20 years??) and it goes just fine - especially with new seals. Probably uses mountains of power but it'll do til we can afford a big flash expensive one. They don't make them like they used to, that's for sure!

More
14 years 1 month ago #320825 by ccrk9

oskatd;306455 wrote: I bought a second hand kelvinator chest freezer over 10 years ago, god knows how old it is (probably 20 years??) and it goes just fine - especially with new seals. Probably uses mountains of power but it'll do til we can afford a big flash expensive one. They don't make them like they used to, that's for sure!

They sure dont make things like they used to....my Simpson washing machine is well over 20 years old. I got the supplier to bring it in from Australia as it was the only machine big enough for my needs at the time. It solid metal all the way thru - even the lid. Cost me $1300 over 20 years ago, and now it dosent work on its main wash cycle, so I can only use the other two cycles - been told its not worth fixing so will have to use it till it wears out. The thought of finding a replacement frightens me!

My Mum gave me her old Kenwood Chef mixer and its older than me (nearly 50!) and it still mixes away but its showing signs of wearing out, spitting the odd bit of oil and its noisy although thats due to a reapir Mum had done years ago where they used all metal parts on it.......when I priced a new machine with similar attachments it will cost about $1000 to $1100 to replace BUT the shop that I talked to said even paying the price I shouldnt expect it to last as long as my old one as they are no longer made to last!

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
14 years 1 month ago #320848 by jeannielea
I agree the Wairarapa secondhand shops that sell this kind of thing are very expensive but you could look in the paper or at garage sales though you would need the cash. Also one of the electrical shops have reconditioned whiteware at a place at the south end of Carterton. Its on the road that goes from SH2 down to Parkvale next to the bacon factory - sorry I don't know the name and I think its Newbold's. In Wgtn LV Martin at Ngauranga does the same. You could phone them and ask if you have a way of getting a freezer over the hill

More
14 years 1 month ago #320868 by GrantK

jeannielea;306489 wrote: Also one of the electrical shops have reconditioned whiteware at a place at the south end of Carterton.

When looking for a freezer at various times over the years, we have been to shops like that. Also to traders that "recondition" used appliances for a living.

In most cases, these types of shops/traders simply beat a few of the worst dents out, use a bit of sandpaper and then apply a fresh coat of white spraypaint. If you're lucky, they will clean out the compressor compartment and in most cases they will clean the seals, and the plastic liner.

We have bought about 10 fridges/freezers over the years, all but two of them second-hand. We have found that the best strategy is to buy something in very good or excellent condition, even though it means paying quite a few hundred $ for it. We have bought F&P-produced brands exclusively (Frigidaire, Kelvinator, Prestcold and of course F&P) and never had the slightest problem with any of them. The larger freezers (360 Litres and up) are still produced in F&P's Auckland factory, whereas the smaller freezers and all fridges are now made in Thailand, many of them under the Elba brand.

I would still buy a Thai-produced F&P fridge/freezer over other brands like Simpson, LG, Haier etc. But some of the other brands like Westinghouse, Miele, Mitsubishi, and Bosch may be worth a look.

Just be very careful when buying second-hand. In almost all cases, the seller will tell you it is much newer than it really is. Ask to see the original manual if possible, have a look on the back of the unit as there are sometimes labels with a date code, and try to get to know the various styles of trim, handles that have been used over the years, as these give a good clue to the likely age. I would immediately reject anything with faulty seals, as even once replaced, it usually means that the compressor has been working a lot harder than it should have been for who knows how long, thus shortening its life considerably. Once the compressor is kaput, the whole fridge/freezer is basically junk as it's usually not cost-effective to replace them.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds