Fundraising

More
14 years 4 days ago #22176 by ronnie
Fundraising was created by ronnie
We have been approached by a firm who specialize in providing fundraising ideas for organisations. These guys run "expos" in various parts of the country and apparently those who need to fundraise attend these in great numbers. There is one in Rotorua next week, followed by one in the Waikato at the end of April.

Now, my question is: do any of you involved in fundraising actually attend these expos?? or do you look at other advertising avenues for your products/ideas to use as a fundraiser? or do you just stick to the tried and usual forms of fundraising (chocolate bars, pizza's etc)
We also regularly get asked to advertise in various publications targeted at fundraising. Several of these are particular to schools.

The firm involved, does of course, have a cost to us. Although it is a relatively reasonable cost, the advertising budget for us at this time of year is fairly minimal.
But I would like to advertise our products somewhere as they are great fundraisers.

Several members of this forum have used our products as a fundraiser, and I thank you for that.

Your thoughts please.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 days ago #319830 by jerry leadbetter
Replied by jerry leadbetter on topic Fundraising
Hi ronnie,

To clarify right from the start - I work for a newspaper (not in your area!) and we have this year entered into the expo business, but not doing one aimed at fundraisers. Our overall company is also involved in a number of homeshows and other expo's around the country so I'm familiar with the format and some of the things to look for.

When you, as an exhibitor, weigh up whether to purchase a stand at an expo ask the company concerned to give you projections of, or if they have historical data from previous shows, attendance figures, demographic breakdowns and any testimonials (in writing) that they may have from previous exhibitors.

If you have the time it could be worth getting previous years programmes from them, calling some of the exhibitors from previous shows and asking how they did. Do they have a %'age of repeat bookings from previous shows, which will be the most telling result.

Do they limit the amount of similar product based exhibitors per show, or will you find yousrelf in a row of possum based footwear suppliers all competing for the same peoples spend?

What advertising budget is being spent by the organisers of the show and where will it be used? Do you think that this will be sufficient to drive the nnumber of people to the show?

Basically an expo type show is only as strong as the amount of quality leads it can bring you, and that will more often than not come down to the amount of advertising for the show that is happening.

What other benefits are there for you as an exhibitor? Will they be putting out a supplement with the local paper in advance of the show that you would get advertising in as part of your stand cost - thereby getting exposure for people coming to the show, or even if they just read it. Will there be radio involvement, or even TV if they can afford it?

If you take a stand will you have a special show price, or a system that allows you to monitor orders that come in after the show has finished, thereby giving you the true value of the show.

If you do go for it - have a careful look at their show layout, choose your booth wisely (look for corner sites, or places that the audience has to pass through), don't let yourself get tucked away somewhere that won't get maximum foot traffic.Pay attention to your stand design to really capture the general attendee wandering past - give them a real reason to stop and check you out, even if they think they're only there to by bulk chocolate.

They can be very powerful ways to get a big boost in sales and business very quickly, after all - who wouldn't want 1000-2000 people in their shop on one weekend, but you do need to have done your sums, know how many sales you'll need to make on the day or in a set time after the show to have made it worth doing, including any travel, stand design, pre-advertising etc.

Happy to have a look at what they're offering you and give some impartial advice if you want to pm me and you can email me prospectus's or the like.

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

More
14 years 4 days ago #319855 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Fundraising
Thanks for your reply Jerry.
I am well conversant with market stalls - we do them on a regular basis.

This one tends to be a wee bit different in that it supposedly targets those looking for fundraising ideas. That appeals to me, but from the info given so far, the attendance is more in the hundreds than the thousands.

It would be an expensive exercise for us to physically attend one of these expos due to being at the opposite end of the country to where it is being held. I have no problems about competition as I don't know of any of the other possum footwear folk offering their products for fundraising.

Was just hoping to hear from someone who is involved in fundraising as to where they look for products/ideas.

It is very tempting to attend these specific expo's but the cost of it is putting me off.

More
14 years 4 days ago #319872 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Fundraising
I wonder if other places do 'Direct Marketing' to target those groups who they think would be fundraising?

Like getting lists of schools or sports clubs and sending them product/pricing information. That would seem a cheap way to go about it. Those interested could then maybe ask for a sample (you could maybe ask for a small deposit and send a return postage bag and refund the deposit when the sample comes back) Would save you travelling around for potentially little gain.

I think I know someone who sits on the board of her kids school, maybe I can ask her where they get their sources for fundraising events.

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
14 years 4 days ago #319887 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Fundraising
Thanks Jen, I did that last year - mailed out a promo brochure to a lot of schools in the Southland/Otago area.
But I either did not reach the right person, or they just weren't interested as I got very little response from the mail out.
The direct, face-to-face approach the expo offers certainly appeals, but the cost is just a bit prohibitive this year.
I tend to get bombarded with offers to advertise in various magazines, but also wonder about their effectiveness. They all tell me their mag reaches my target audience, but they can't all be right [;)]

More
14 years 3 days ago #320039 by jerry leadbetter
Replied by jerry leadbetter on topic Fundraising

ronnie;305426 wrote:
I tend to get bombarded with offers to advertise in various magazines, but also wonder about their effectiveness. They all tell me their mag reaches my target audience, but they can't all be right [;)]

Ask them to provide you with figures to back that up from AC Nielsen Readership Surveys which are the industry standard. Should sort the wheat from the chaff to an extent.

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds