Horses - Plaiting - Rubber Bands also Saddle Soap

More
12 years 4 months ago #22171 by Toast
The rubber bands I get at the local shops are very thin & break easily. I use three per plait, one on the end & then two on the outside when I've rolled up the plait. I carry several in my pocket for when they break during the day.

A few years ago they were much thicker & I only used one on the outside & a packet lasted forever.

The local shop had some others in a plastic tub but when I looked inside they were just as thin.

I keep the rubber bands out of the sun & am careful where they are stored so they don't perish.

I bought one packet & thought it would get me right through the HoY show but after a two-day show of plaiting two horses I don't think the packet will make it through three days of HoY so I need to buy more but am sick of these sub-standard ones.

Does anybody know where I can get decent black rubber bands? I'm going to check in the stationery shops to see if they have any small ones but chances are they won't be black.

Also, saddle soap - what brand do you like best & why? I use a saddle soap for cleaning & then the Effax dressing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #319828 by charlotte1
In my showing days a bag of plaiting rubber bands would last several seasons because I would reuse them, very rarely did they break. :rolleyes:The ones now days are probably MIC[}:)]

More
12 years 3 months ago #319860 by Stikkibeek
I don't think rubber products of any sort are as good as they used to be. Hot water bottles perish after a few years and so do gumboots, but memory from my childhood tells me that both these things lasted for years.

When I was actively showing horses, I used the black rubber bands out of jam seal packs. They were tough and didn't break easily and were thin as well. Course mum used to be a trifle annoyed when the plums were ripe and there were plenty of jam seals but no rubber bands.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 3 months ago #319864 by Toast
Thanks. I agree. I though of the jam ones & they are good strength etc although I see that quite a few have perished this year. However, they are beige & I need black.

Yes, MIC, I suspect.

I would happily pay more for a good product & have it last. I would never re-use these ones. I just cut them off with the scissors at the end of the day.

More
12 years 3 months ago #319909 by 4trees
Hi Toast, when we were commercial flower and vege growing and still we are doing Daffodils for the Cancer Society, about 3000 bundles, we need decent rubber bands and we get them from Stationery Shops there are all different sizes, and packaging places Pro Pak in Palmerston North, also Fruitfed also keep some sizes. We need smallish strong ones for the bundles of Daffies, and we go through them.Usually buy them in 1kg lots.
Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
12 years 3 months ago #319912 by Xartep
Don't know what brand saddle soap I have , the mices ate the wrapping and 1/2 the soap[:0]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 3 months ago #319920 by Anne
I use any glycerene (sp?) saddle soap and then the effex leather dressing - as recommended by my saddler. Really pleased with the results.
Sorry, can't help with the plaiting bands problem - I always sew, using 8 ply wool / synthetic mix. Plaits will stay in for ages and I take about 20 min to plait each of my horses.

More
12 years 3 months ago #319932 by Toast
Anne - You must be a wiz at plaiting! I have sewn a few times but not lately. Far too slow & decrepid! I understand that in Oz they sew with thread in one state & wool in the other - Vic vs NSW or is that Melb vs Sydney Royal shows? I think with the wool ones they are supposed to leave a tiny bit of wool sticking out.

Will investigate 4trees' suggestions. Not too sure about buying 1kg at a time - that would mean I would have to compete next season & I think I've had enough!

Thanks.

More
12 years 3 months ago #319934 by Stikkibeek
Oh and saddle soap, I use a glycerine bar which I think was John Butler. No idea if you can still get it. It tends to last a very long time.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 3 months ago #319939 by Stu_R
:) oh go on Toast ... :) you have a couple more seasons left in you i reckon :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #319962 by Kiwi303
have you tried slicing motorcycle and mountain bike inner tube? black, rubber, strong... just ask at bike shops and one tube would last forever

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 3 months ago #320002 by Anne
Plaiting with sewing requires some preparation. Pull the mane to about 10cm long. Use a blunt darning needle. thread with your wool. Tie a knot in the bottom. Seperate the hair to be plaited. Plait it tightly, right down as far as you can go. If you've got uneven amounts of hair as you get near the end, seperate the hairs to make them more even so you can plait right down. Push your needle through the side of the plait. Don't pull hard on the knot at this point. Wind wool tightly around plait (3x). Push needle back through plait front to back. Take needle under plait and push through at base of plait, against the neck. Fold plait in half, pulling thread through. Fold plait in half again - it should now be a little tight knob. Needle and thread is still at top of plait. Bring needle round the side of the plait and push through underneath, putting the needle through as many layers as possible. Do the same to the other side. To finish, take needle from the top (actually it should be on side of the neck away from where the mane falls) and push it back through the whole plait. If you are worried that its too loose, you can put it through a few times, but I don't usually bother. Cut the wool short either under the plait (ponies) or on top of the neck (horses).

Everyone that I teach this method to stops using bands. They find that its just as quick as bands and is neater and the plaits stay in for longer.

More
12 years 3 months ago #320006 by DiDi
Toast - I shall have a look in my shed this afternoon as I'm sure there are some black bands in there. Last time we had a black mane to plait was some years ago! Will PM you if I find them as easy to post in a regular envelope.

More
12 years 3 months ago #320061 by GloPony

Kiwi303;305509 wrote: have you tried slicing motorcycle and mountain bike inner tube? black, rubber, strong... just ask at bike shops and one tube would last forever

That was going to be my suggestion too. They work really well. :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #320126 by Toast
Didi - thanks for offer but I should manage with these. Also anything stored that long is likely to have perished although it may not look like it. Thanks anyway.

Anne - I will consider sewing if you say it's that easy. I may do up a couple of plaits this weekend & see how I go.

Time to create page: 0.475 seconds