Big Ohms of wellness

More
12 years 4 months ago #22170 by Ghilly
Big Ohms of wellness was created by Ghilly
I got a call from Mum and Dad tonight, my sister Nick has been hit by someones horse and is in hospital with her right arm broken in two places a possible broken rib on her back and they're keeping an eye on her kidneys after a urine sample was taken and had blood in it.

The horses were being taken to the place she used to manage and the owner had phoned Nick asking if she could sort out the paddock arrangements. One horse was floated the few hundred metres to the paddocks and the other horse that couldn't be floated was walked. It did fine until it got into the race going to the back of the property. One of the other horses called out and the horse being led reared up and swung around. It threw Nick into a fence post then as it was coming down again with it's front hooves lashing out, Nick put her arm up to protect herself and it smashed into it.

She was feeling ok until she had some dinner and then Dad said she looked like she was about to lose what she'd just eaten. She's on Morphine and feeling a bit woozy. They're going to operate in the morning to pin her arm. Dad said they didn't seem overly worried about the blood in the urine..... hmmmmm......

They've only just settled in to their LSB and had done a lot of work to get it ok for their horses. My BIL has just bought a horse and a foal for himself and Nick has two horses and a colt that needs training etc.... and she's suddenly been put out of action by someone elses ruddy horse.... Aww I'm not mad at the horse or the owner but it's sods law that if you're going to get hurt by an animal, it has to be someone elses. It's not like she's not experienced around horses, Gods! She's 44 years old and has had horses since she was old enough to work. Mum and Dad caught her getting dressed an hour after she went to bed when she was about 8, fast asleep and trying to get her riding pants on, muttering about having a riding lesson..... she done around 12 -13 years of Pirelli with the mother of the colt, she knows what she's doing.... and now this! BUM!

Big ohmmmms of getting well and mending fast to my big little sister.... (I'm 5'5" and she's 6'1" so she IS my bigger little sister).

Get well soon 'wee blister!'

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #319802 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Big Ohms of wellness
That's not good news. I do hope she feels better soon.

You did confuse me with your Ohms of wellness :D :D
I was thinking electrical resistance:confused::confused::confused: but finally clicked when I read the last bit. Duh[;)]

More
12 years 4 months ago #319806 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Big Ohms of wellness
Wishing her all the best Yakut from us here

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 4 months ago #319809 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Big Ohms of wellness

spoook;305336 wrote: Wishing her all the best Yakut from us here

From me too...

Web Goddess

More
12 years 4 months ago #320063 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Big Ohms of wellness
I hope she has a speedy recovery Yakut.

More
12 years 4 months ago #320097 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Big Ohms of wellness
Best wishes too Yakut. A friend of mind was talking to her husband in Australia a few days ago and he heard a bang and then nothing. No one knows what hit her but I suspect it was a head smash. She is OK but not fine so if there is one lesson in this for all the horsey people - it is not sensible to talk on a cellphone while picking up the leg on a horse! There is no reason to ever be talking on a cellphone while dealing with a horse!!!!

More
12 years 4 months ago #320105 by GloPony
I so agree DiDi! Mine stays in the car while I'm working. I'd rather be around to pick up a message. [;)]

More
12 years 4 months ago #320107 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Big Ohms of wellness
She's had a scan which was clear of internal damage and will be able to go home tomorrow. Her arm is in a soft cast until the stitches come out. They had to make two cuts to insert the plates. The soft cast doesn't immobilise her arm totally so she's still in a fair bit of pain if she moves.

I'm hoping she'll start feeling better once she's in her own space again.

Thanks for the healing energy.

Yakut

More
12 years 4 months ago #320145 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Big Ohms of wellness
Glad to hear the damage is limited and she is making progress. :)
Wishing her well.

More
12 years 4 months ago #320181 by GloPony
Poor thing!

I get kicked by a yearling while riding another horse, 2 weeks ago & even that still smarts if I bang the bruise. Poor girl must be in agony!

She'll feel less pain once she has a new cast though. Something to look forward to, I guess...[B)]

More
12 years 4 months ago #320218 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Big Ohms of wellness
She's now at Mum and Dads.... I guess it's easier for her there than at home with her husband at work... it'll also keep her away from the animals. I know her, she'll be out that door and off to see how they are doing, pain or no pain.
The last thing she needs is for it to be knocked.
Thanks for all the get well wishes. It'll take a while for her to start mending properly so it's not so sore.

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds