Advertising

More
12 years 4 months ago #22061 by Organix
Advertising was created by Organix
I was quick enough to see a thread that appeared in the New Members section this morning that was a blatant advertisement for the member's company/employer and as such, I assume, was quickly deleted.

In regard to this situation I am curious about how far you can promote your own commercial interests via the LSB Forums. I note a few members have weblinks within their signatures to various activities they are involved in including some semi commercial organisations. More (like myself) will probably have websites included in their member profiles, many of which relate to commercial activities.

As there appears to be no guidelines concerning this subject within the Forum FAQ page I am curious as to whether such guidelines are contained elsewhere within the LSB website, and if not could we please have a clear description of where members stand on this issue :confused:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #318465 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Advertising
Fair question :D

It hasn't been spelled out in the past as it's generally accepted that spamming is not allowed on any forum. The decision on what is or is not spam is a tricky one.

So...regular members who have contributed to the life the of forum are generally allowed to have a discreet link to their website in their signature and to mention it when appropriate in a thread. We do not want logos used as avatars and people whose only posts are pushing their business or website.

Most regular uses send me an email to check whether it would be okay to put their links in their signature.

So, as a regular poster, I would have no objection to you putting a link to your website in your signature but if your first post was 'here is my business, and here is a link to it' then that would have been regarded as spam.

Is that clearer?

The new forum rules (which will be in force soon) say:

No spam. Anyone who spams the forums in any way will have their account banned. Do not offer your product or service in the forums unless you have approval from a moderator to do so. This rule includes using the forum, email, visitor messages, blog comments and private message systems to spam other members.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 4 months ago #318466 by Westie
Replied by Westie on topic Advertising
How about a 'sticky' for members offering goods & services? That would sort of be the 'phishing thread' so to speak, then it also gives a venue for posts like you described to be moved to?

I don't mind people offering their services or goods because it might be useful someday, but everything has it's place.

I was surprised not to find a thread like 'goods and services exchange' as a not profit way of exchanging excess produce/stock/ skills/labour etc like an online hippie co-op
[8D]

What's that I just stepped in?

More
12 years 4 months ago #318468 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Advertising

Westie;303853 wrote: I was surprised not to find a thread like 'goods and services exchange' as a not profit way of exchanging excess produce/stock/ skills/labour etc like an online hippie co-op
[8D]

Have you looked in the "Classifieds" Westie? That's exactly what it is for :)

www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/vbclassified.php

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 4 months ago #318471 by Westie
Replied by Westie on topic Advertising
I had a quick look there thanks Grant, but it looked like a $ value on things so I didn't delve too far until I actually have some $$
Now I've had a better look and actually noticed the bits down the bottom, only saw the recent listings before.. yeah, good stuff. I feel like a dork now, Mr Frightened by $ Signs
:cool:

lol, do you think my add would get any response?

"Welding for free while you wait... and while you wait, you gotta have a hack at my blackberry"

:D

What's that I just stepped in?

More
12 years 4 months ago #318473 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Advertising

Westie;303859 wrote: lol, do you think my add would get any response?

"Welding for free while you wait... and while you wait, you gotta have a hack at my blackberry"

:D

It's always worth a try Westie [;)]

Earlier this week, I had to fire up my MIG Welder to replace a nut with a stripped thread on the back of my Bertolini Sprayer. First bit of welding I've done for a while, so the finesse wasn't quite there, but hey, nothing that I couldn't fix with an angle grinder :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds