Computers again...yeek!

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #21985 by DiDi
Computers again...yeek! was created by DiDi
I was on the Net last night and opened a site and this screen came up calling itself virus-info-cl.com and a lot of other gibberish and also Personal Scanner. It had identified my computer Vista and IE8.0 but was making out it is riddled with Trojans etc. It was an innocuous looking site so I was taken aback.

I didn't run it - whatever it was offering to get rid of all my gremlins but did check a couple of the examples i.e. IRC/Backdoor but could not find the exact wording. Thsi one is supposed to end with FRV. Another showed nothing.

The reason I am a bit nervous is that my daughter did a deleted items scan that bought up a file she wanted from 2007 and I have certainly cleaned up Trojan and Virus attacks since then so was I being scammed by one of these sites you do NOT want to enter or has my daughter unearthed these old nasties? She was communicating with me from Europe since 2007. Local disc (C:) and (D:), the latter being the deleted items. Scary! It did spell "searches" wrong as "seraches" but do I need too be concerned?

OK this is even more freaky - I did not put in those smiley faces. They were a colan! What is your advise before I infect the world or not?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #317490 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computers again...yeek!

DiDi;302794 wrote: I was on the Net last night and opened a site and this screen came up calling itself virus-info-cl.com and a lot of other gibberish and also Personal Scanner. It had identified my computer Vista and IE8.0...

That is very easy for any web site to do. A simple script will decode this information from the requests issued by your web browser, and can then display the results back to you, which to the uninitiated, can be a little spooky. Don't worry ... there is nothing sinister with this part of your question.

DiDi;302794 wrote: ...but was making out it is riddled with Trojans etc. It was an innocuous looking site so I was taken aback.

This is a straight-out scam; trying to sucker you into downloading something that you definitely don't want [B)] [B)] [B)]

DiDi;302794 wrote: I didn't run it - whatever it was offering to get rid of all my gremlins...

Thank heavens for that. Whatever you do, DON'T RUN IT!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
or your computer will most likely be infected by a virus, or at the very least, a Trojan will be installed, sending all your keystrokes and other personal information back to some hackers in Russia or somewhere [:0]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #317494 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic Computers again...yeek!
DiDi,

Even though you did not knowingly download it I suggest that you run a virus/malware scan.

I recommend going to malwarebytes.org and downloading the free version. It is not a very big file. Install the program and when it is finished installing it will give you the option to update the program and launch the program. Accept this and Malwarebytes will update and open up at the scan page.

Select the full scan option and start the scan. Depending on how much crap, I mean data you have on your PC will determine how long the scan will take. At the end of the scan it will tell you if anything was found and give you option to view the result. View the result and you will get the option to remove anything found. Just follow the instructions.

Don't be too surprised if it does find something. It often finds remnents of old virus/trojans/malware that other AV's have not deleted completely but are inactive.

I had a client in the other day that downloaded one of these fake anti virus programs and paid for it by credit card. Next thing he knew his card was fleeced of hundreds of dollars. Luckily he got onto the CC company quickly and the transactions were reversed.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #317496 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Computers again...yeek!
Thanks Grant. I thought I was educated enough not to go there so didn't but the fact my daughter did the deleted items search last night and then this happened unnerved me.

So why are these things still on my computer from 2007 when you have hit the button saying yes to: "Do you want to delete these items permanently"? And where did those smilie faces come from?

I have noticed a number of double entries on this site lately and have had it happen to me so deleted the second entry. Some code turning colons into smilie faces?

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #317498 by DiDi
kiwi - because it was late, I booted into safe mode and did a Malwarebytes fast scan I have it loaded) and it found nothing. I will update and a full scan tomorrow just to be sure but I think it was one of those screwy sites. Can't even remember what I was looking for!

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #317501 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computers again...yeek!

DiDi;302803 wrote: So why are these things still on my computer from 2007 when you have hit the button saying yes to: "Do you want to delete these items permanently"?

Even though you have deleted those items permanently, they are possibly still lurking in the unused space on your hard disk. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Unless those supposedly deleted files are viruses or something it doesn't matter if they are still there. The only easy way to get rid of them totally would be to reformat your hard disk and re-install everything ... not really worth it I wouldn't think.

DiDi;302803 wrote: And where did those smilie faces come from?

I have noticed a number of double entries on this site lately and have had it happen to me so deleted the second entry. Some code turning colons into smilie faces?

If you type a colon followed by another character, many forums turn it into various "emoticons". If you want to avoid it, then leave a space after the colon.

DiDi;302805 wrote: kiwi - because it was late, I booted into safe mode and did a Malwarebytes fast scan I have it loaded) and it found nothing. I will update and a full scan tomorrow just to be sure...

Kiwi_Jon made an excellent suggestion to use MalwareBytes just to make sure everything is kosher.

I use it myself every so often, just for peace-of-mind. But I've never found anything yet, even though I don't use any Anti-Virus software at all. I'm just careful to keep Windows updated with the latest security patches, and careful which web sites I visit, and which e-mail attachments I open.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #317504 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Computers again...yeek!
I frequently do virus cleanups on peoples infected computers, and I use the following to search out all the gremlins

Symantec Anti-virus
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
SuperAntiSpyware
Windows Defender
Windows Malicious Software Removal
CCLeaner

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #317505 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Computers again...yeek!
Following and attack on the computers where I work, by a very nasty virus that attaches itself to dot exe files and was transported through the network on pendrives, we are no longer allowed to use pendrives. This virus closes down the exe files essentially making each programme useless as they got shut down. The software package that was given to us by the Government, was less than useless. IT guy had to save all files on back-up, then scan each one before he could reload them back on our network. Took him 10 hours to clean the server alone.

We are now running Nod32 which seems to be doing a good job, and scans for malware and spyware also. Cleaned my home computer up PDQ despite running other malware and spybot programmes.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #317507 by DiDi
I have most of it and do skip between them. Windows Defender at all times; occasional Malwarebytes; CCleaner; but don't use the others you mention wyseyes.

You know what - I am going to sleep on it and not worry! It was one of those weird idiot sites and I knew not to go there thank goodness - mind it was a b#t#ch to shut down! Will do a full scan tomorrow in safe mode and forget the whole thing happened. Thanks for all your advise everyone.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #317515 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Computers again...yeek!
I quite like Spybot, Search and Destroy as a fast checker. just for the quick active programs scan of what is running at the moment.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #317557 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Computers again...yeek!
What I find funniest with my malware checker is that every time I go to a Microsoft site, something sneaky needs to be cleaned out from my system.[;)]
I don't want them collecting data on me...

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds