Dumb computer mouse question

More
12 years 6 months ago #317390 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dumb computer mouse question
I was chuckling about the batteries Pumpkingirl thinking... and the problem is? Get some spares - and you did. :D

As for the mouse you showed wiredkiwi - I worry about things like that becoming the norm as I could never use it. Since having my thumb bent the wrong way from a horse kick, using a pen for any time is very painful. :(

Still, a really interesting invention. Hope the guy does well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #317392 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Dumb computer mouse question
I had a bit of a chuckle when I read in Wired Kiwi's article "If you are sitting down on your coach or in a plane or train, it is pretty difficult to use a [conventional] mouse."

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 6 months ago #317736 by NZ Appaloosas
Okay, my concern with that ity pen mouse would be losing it. And I can't quite figure out how you right/left click and scroll...but then I can't quite see that with the vertical mouse either...

On the wireless thing, again, my concern is losing it (i.e., it getting knocked off the desk and landing somewhere where it can laught at me while I search frantically). Cables make great leashes for wayward mice. That said, I can also speak well of the Microsoft opticals...mine cost around $30 or $40 when we bought it 6 years ago (can't quite read what's on the bottom as to which model, but it's blue on top with grey trim--and matched the lappie when I bought it ;) ), and other than the foot pads getting "sticky" when they get gunky, have had good use of it.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 6 months ago #317860 by Organix

NZ Appaloosas;303062 wrote: Okay, my concern with that ity pen mouse would be losing it. And I can't quite figure out how you right/left click and scroll...but then I can't quite see that with the vertical mouse either...

Diane

No problem with the vertical mouse, it's got more buttons than you can shake a stick at. Imagine holding your convential (scroll enabled) mouse on its right hand* edge, now add more buttons where your thumb and pinky finger rest (for forward or back one page respectively), plus a push function on the scroll wheel for fast scroll. Buttons are reasignable if you're not comfortable with the factory default functions.

*For left handed version imagine your conventional mouse on its left hand edge.

Incidentally who bothers with a mouse for 'couch' use of a laptop when you have a touchpad controller?

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 6 months ago #317861 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Dumb computer mouse question

Organix;303194 wrote:
Incidentally who bothers with a mouse for 'couch' use of a laptop when you have a touchpad controller?

Me - I hate the touchpad controller [}:)][}:)]

I like the look of the 'pen' mouse but I don't think it would be as comfortable to use as a standard mouse. My hand cramps if I write long periods whereas I can use the mouse all day [8D][8D]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 6 months ago #317865 by Organix

Kate;303195 wrote: ....I don't think it would be as comfortable to use as a standard mouse. My hand cramps if I write long periods whereas I can use the mouse all day [8D][8D]

Cheers
Kate

My thoughts exactly. Looks far too fiddly to be comfortable for extended use.

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 6 months ago #317881 by wyseyes
OK, try this one.

I have one of these on the left of the keyboard, and 5-button 2-scroller optical mouse on the right.
I use them both at once. The Spaceball controls the orientation of the object on the screen, and with the mouse I make alterations.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
12 years 6 months ago #317904 by Organix

wyseyes;303216 wrote: OK, try this one.

I have one of these on the left of the keyboard, and 5-button 2-scroller optical mouse on the right.
I use them both at once. The Spaceball controls the orientation of the object on the screen, and with the mouse I make alterations.

Nice bit of kit :cool: Are you using it for gaming or 3D work applications ? I know from experience how limiting even a 5 button mouse can be for navigation and manipulation of 3D datafiles :(

More
12 years 5 months ago #317924 by wyseyes
Used for 2D and 3D design. Usually Solidworks, AutoCAD, Altium etc. That is a 2004 model, it's nowhere near the recent versions which have more buttons, programmable sequences, little screens etc.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
12 years 5 months ago #317939 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dumb computer mouse question
God I feel old! Can you guys speak English please. :D

More
12 years 5 months ago #317948 by Stikkibeek
I've been thinking of investing in a graphics tablet, but don't know if my older computer will support the ones now available.

Here's a link for wacom, but have no idea if these are the best brand. www.elive.co.nz/graphic-tablets.php

I tried to get some better information from a local retailer, but struck an enthusiastic sales pitch from a youngster, who must have got paid on production bonus's. He failed to answer my questions satisfactorily and just pushed buy, buy, buy, without seeming to really know the product. Needless to say I didn't buy it.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 5 months ago #317950 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Dumb computer mouse question

Stikkibeek;303289 wrote: I've been thinking of investing in a graphics tablet, but don't know if my older computer will support the ones now available.

Here's a link for wacom, but have no idea if these are the best brand. www.elive.co.nz/graphic-tablets.php

Wacom are probably the most well-known manufacturer of graphics tablets. Because of that, they don't come cheap. But I haven't heard of any problems with them.

There will be cheaper brands, but you won't go wrong with a Wacom.

BTW, it would be worth your while to check out PB Tech's prices for Wacom tablets:

www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?page=20&s=Wacom

Some of them are a little cheaper than ELive, and PB Tech. are very good to deal with.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
12 years 5 months ago #317967 by Organix

wyseyes;303263 wrote: Used for 2D and 3D design. Usually Solidworks, AutoCAD, Altium etc. That is a 2004 model, it's nowhere near the recent versions which have more buttons, programmable sequences, little screens etc.

Purely for ny own interest now as I no longer work in the field but how well does a Spaceball interface with pointcloud processing software? My particular experience is with Cyclone (AutoCAD, Geomagic, Solid Edge).

More
12 years 5 months ago #317985 by wyseyes
Seems to work OK, if you find the right drivers for it. I had to install 3 sets from 3 different versions to get the programs working, they no longer support the spaceball (new models are spaceNavigator, SpacePilot, SpaceExplorer).
The newer ones apparently can help navigate in Word, Excel, Photoshop, Acrobat.
Oh, and it's great on Google Earth. Makes you feel like you are flying around the country.

More
12 years 5 months ago #318061 by NZ Appaloosas

DiDi;303279 wrote: God I feel old! Can you guys speak English please. :D

You're not alone, here I was quite chuffed with my "2004" model mouse with optical bottom, right/left/scrolly-in-the-middle AND a push-play on the scrolly that opens links in a new tab. I almost feel like I"m back in the days of using the Trash-80 from RadioSh*t...

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds