IE Adobe not talking

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #21911 by Valmai
IE Adobe not talking was created by Valmai
Everytime I click on a link to a pdf file my browser throws a tanty "not responding" closes everything and then opens my home page again. The error message is I/O output (input?) error. How do I fix this please.

Carbon-based biological unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316615 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic IE Adobe not talking
Have you got the Adobe Reader open in a separate window displaying a file?

A similar thing happened to me a few days ago and it took a couple of occurrences before I figured what was going on.

If this is the case, you need to close any windows where Adobe Reader is running and try again. If that still fails, then restart your computer.

And if that still fails, you probably need to disable what IE calls an "Add-on", which deals with Adobe PDF files. Once the Add-on is disabled, then restart your computer and try right-clicking on a PDF file again. I suggest you Save the file to your Hard Disk and then try opening it with the separate Adobe Reader program. This will establish whether it is your computer at fault, or simply the Add-on within IE.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316616 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic IE Adobe not talking
Install Firefox and Foxit Reader. Problem solved :D

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316651 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic IE Adobe not talking
arrggghhh I am having that same problem.. O as far as I am concered firefox can get lost and go to the moon.. I have tried 3 x now to work it out and all it does is freeze my puter..
now to try and work out what Grant was telling you, as too many clicks for my wee brain cell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316720 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic IE Adobe not talking
beedee Bugga! I was going to try the firefox fix as it sounded easier than Grant's solution but I guess maybe not.
Grant here is what happens. I'm online, click on a link and everything 'goes pale' I get a message saying "IE not responding, closing down and restarting". But I do not have Adobe showing up on the taskbar at the bottom, it is only if I minimize or close the other windows that I see Adobe. I have the input/output error box and Adobe window with nothing showing in the window. (I'm going to re-read and then re-read some more the advice you gave, so cross your fingers for me.)

Carbon-based biological unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316727 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic IE Adobe not talking
My adobe totally disappeared so I downloaded it again.. seems sumfink chased it all away... V, that is just my experience.. I just dont like it on my puters.. Yet I get told how great it is.. I guess I am just too neophyte, and it gets annoyed with my lack of knowledge.
since re- Adobe-ing I have managed to see the item I wanted to, and all seems well, but then tomorrow is another day..
ANd ya know when you meet Grant, he seems such a nice fella, its hard to believe he thinks such stuff in such a geek way... and then he patiently helps me sort myself and modern equipment out... but I still dont know what he has said

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316728 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic IE Adobe not talking
Well I just disabled all my add-ons and that didn't fix my problem so I have to wait for Grant to come back and tell me if I have an IE problem or a PC problem and what to do next. I think I will try Firefox while I'm waiting, but I'm on dial-up and everything is slower than normal so I need to set the download when I've got 3 or 4 hours to spare!!

Carbon-based biological unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316750 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic IE Adobe not talking

beedee;301956 wrote: My adobe totally disappeared so I downloaded it again.. seems sumfink chased it all away... V, that is just my experience.. I just dont like it on my puters.. Yet I get told how great it is.. I guess I am just too neophyte, and it gets annoyed with my lack of knowledge.
since re- Adobe-ing I have managed to see the item I wanted to, and all seems well, but then tomorrow is another day..
ANd ya know when you meet Grant, he seems such a nice fella, its hard to believe he thinks such stuff in such a geek way... and then he patiently helps me sort myself and modern equipment out... but I still dont know what he has said

Aw shucks Beedee, what can I say [:I]

I'm glad to hear that re-downloading Adobe Reader has fixed the problem. It must have got corrupted and you have definitely done the right thing here.

Valmai;301957 wrote: Well I just disabled all my add-ons and that didn't fix my problem so I have to wait for Grant to come back and tell me if I have an IE problem or a PC problem and what to do next. I think I will try Firefox while I'm waiting, but I'm on dial-up and everything is slower than normal so I need to set the download when I've got 3 or 4 hours to spare!!

Now that you have disabled add-ons Valmai, what happens when you click a link to a PDF file?

And also, what happens if you right click the link and select "Save Target As" then use Adobe Reader to open the file outside of IE?

If you can let me know the answers to both of those, I can figure out what to do next.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316765 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic IE Adobe not talking

Organix;301831 wrote: Install Firefox and Foxit Reader. Problem solved :D

And so say I! or is that me these days? Bugga when you out live the grammar rules isn't it.[B)]

Recovering Lifestyler


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316767 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic IE Adobe not talking

Organix;301831 wrote: Install Firefox and Foxit Reader. Problem solved :D

Hasbeen;301996 wrote: And so say I! or is that me these days? Bugga when you out live the grammar rules isn't it.[B)]

Guys: I know, I know, I know [^] You're preaching to the converted so far as I and most other geeks are concerned.

But if I tried to insist that my wife stopped using IE then I'd just be pushing sh1t uphill because it's what she knows and woe betide me if I change anything at all :o

So, for that reason, it's best to try and fix the problem that Valmai is having with IE. You and I know it's a crock, but unfortunately, it's the crock that many people still choose to carry on using, for whatever reason...

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316782 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic IE Adobe not talking
My work computer won't download any adobe updates because it keeps telling me to check that I am connected to the 'net.... when I am connected.:confused::confused::confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316828 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic IE Adobe not talking
It seems like my previous post was a little premature[B)] coz now it works! i disabled all the add-ons (again) and adobe decided to work. Most likely I didn't follow your instructions properly the first time. Buuuuut even though I am (I thought) opening the file online it seems to download it to myPC which is not what I want, I can live with that until I convert to Firefox which I've been meaning to for ages. Adobe complains about a missing add-on which may cause the file to not be displayed properly but I dont notice anything wrong with the files. I'm pretty sure the offending add-on is "Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper." Thank you GrantK, what would us ignorami do without the geekly inclined? :D

Carbon-based biological unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316831 by David.HR
Replied by David.HR on topic IE Adobe not talking
New kid on the block and I have to agree with Organix's post of the 5th with respect to downloading an alternative browser (ie): Firefox plus also Foxit Reader, both of which are free downloads.
Personally I would have run updates on my Adobe software first; to see if that fixed the issue; before going down the alternative avenue.
I'm now running a Mac, so I don't get any IE curve balls confusing the hell out of me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316838 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic IE Adobe not talking

swaggie;302014 wrote: My work computer won't download any adobe updates because it keeps telling me to check that I am connected to the 'net.... when I am connected.:confused::confused::confused:

I would suggest uninstalling everything to do with Adobe and then reinstalling. It sounds like something has got screwed up somewhere. Let me know how it goes.

Valmai;302063 wrote: It seems like my previous post was a little premature[B)] coz now it works! i disabled all the add-ons (again) and adobe decided to work. Most likely I didn't follow your instructions properly the first time. Buuuuut even though I am (I thought) opening the file online it seems to download it to myPC which is not what I want, I can live with that until I convert to Firefox which I've been meaning to for ages. Adobe complains about a missing add-on which may cause the file to not be displayed properly but I dont notice anything wrong with the files. I'm pretty sure the offending add-on is "Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper." Thank you GrantK, what would us ignorami do without the geekly inclined? :D

Great to hear Valmai :)

Yes, because you disabled the Adobe Reader add-on, it will download to your PC first. But now we have established that it was a problem with the add-on rather than your PC as a whole, which saves a lot of hassle.

If you can live with that situation in the meanwhile, then I would really recommend installing Firefox. Once you have done so, check under Tools | Add-ons | Plug-ins and you should see Adobe Acrobat Plug-in for Netscape. If that is present, you should once again be able to open PDF files from within your browser.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #316843 by kate
Replied by kate on topic IE Adobe not talking

David.HR;302066 wrote: New kid on the block and I have to agree with Organix's post of the 5th with respect to downloading an alternative browser (ie): Firefox plus also Foxit Reader, both of which are free downloads.
Personally I would have run updates on my Adobe software first; to see if that fixed the issue; before going down the alternative avenue.
I'm now running a Mac, so I don't get any IE curve balls confusing the hell out of me.

Hi David and welcome to lsb :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds