Dishes or aerials for TV?

More
14 years 2 months ago #316160 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?

DiDi;301308 wrote: I must have had been asleep. When did Prime join the Freeview camp.

It happened around the middle of last year I think DiDi.

DiDi;301308 wrote: I have fantstic reception from every channel at the moment (with just an aerial) including but not perfect Juice. Why are we changing from free to having to buy something to watch TV? Doesn't make sense to me and how many people will miss out because of the setup costs? Weird.

It's the price of progress DiDi. The existing analog system is very wasteful in terms of bandwidth. This means that it uses a lot of spectrum in order to broadcast only a few channels. And because of NZ's very difficult topography (Radio/TV wise), there are many places that cannot be covered at an economical cost. Also, the existing analog system does not support Widescreen or HD transmissions.

So, the powers that be have decided to give everybody ample notice of the change, allowing people to decide whether they prefer Satellite or Terrestrial. If you are within range of a Terrestrial station such as Mt. Te Aroha, this is the way to go because you can get HD, and save the expense of a satellite dish. For the rest of us (including the entire Far North district where we are), there is Satellite, which at least gives crystal-clear reception and a hugely improved choice of channels. We can only get TV1/2/3 up here, Prime is not an option unless you have FreeView or Sky.

So, looking at the bigger picture, the use-by date of analog broadcasts is rapidly approaching, and to continue receiving TV broadcasts, it will be necessary to either do down the FreeView route, or get Sky. FreeView now have Video Recorders with a Hard Disk, similar to MySky, so that is no longer a deciding factor.

I do feel a little sorry for people in your position DiDi who have perfectly acceptable analog reception. But there are plenty of us that don't, and there is talk of using the spectrum vacated by analog TV broadcasts for Wireless Broadband Internet services. So it's an ill-wind that blows nobody any good [^]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #316187 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
Say what? How on earth can I, north of the Bombay Hills access Mt Te Aroha - but I must be now if I am getting good reception? Does it go through hills and mountains? Totally strange concept.

Given this was kicked off by the Labour Government, how do those who can't afford to feed their kids on low wages ever get to see TV again? It is totally weird in that to enable better graphics on TV and more mobile coverage (more money for some businesses) that the common peasants have to spend money to get what has been theirs by right (and paid for) for years and what, for most presumably, is good in terms of TV reception? Will the released spectrum go towards mobile coverage in rural areas?

I heard what you said about areas of NZ not getting TV coverage but I wonder just how many, percentage wise, of the population is affected. I don't have HD but am more than happy with what I have already. Mind, given the absolute garbage on TV it might be easier to give it away. Then that will work for the Internet Service Providers as you still want news. Then Rupert Murdoch will be able to charge for downloading his papers. Yeah - we will all be dumb ignorant peasants cut off from the world unless we pay big money to buy his papers and he and/or the internet providers will be able to increase the price. The Government has shares in Sky via TV1 doesn't it?

Then again, perhaps this exlains all:
www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/3160...im-to-radio-spectrum

Yes I am in a very grumpy mood tonight!

More
14 years 2 months ago #316189 by GrantK

DiDi;301363 wrote: Say what? How on earth can I, north of the Bombay Hills access Mt Te Aroha - but I must be now if I am getting good reception? Does it go through hills and mountains? Totally strange concept.

I said "If you are within range of a Terrestrial station such as Mt. Te Aroha", I didn't say Te Aroha is the only one. If you are North of the Bombays, you are probably getting the signal from Waiatarua.

DiDi;301363 wrote: Given this was kicked off by the Labour Government, how do those who can't afford to feed their kids on low wages ever get to see TV again?

Arguably they should do some study instead of watching TV and get off those low wages... :p
(that was a joke, probably in poor taste I admit)

DiDi;301363 wrote: The Government has shares in Sky via TV1 doesn't it?

TV1 has nothing to do with Sky at all. Many years ago, TVNZ did own a share of Sky, but they sold it. More fool them :(

DiDi;301363 wrote: Then again, perhaps this exlains all:
www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/3160...im-to-radio-spectrum

Yes, well spotted. The Tangata Whenua have their hand up for a share. According to them, it is a "Taonga" and under the Treaty of Waitangi, they are entitled to a slice of the action. I'm not taking any sides over this one, readers can make up their own mind...

DiDi;301363 wrote: Yes I am in a very grumpy mood tonight!

Yeah, I got that impression...
Did something rattle your cage DiDi?

More
14 years 2 months ago #316201 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
I'm with Didi in the 'not an early adopter of technology' camp [;)] don't start me on e-books [:(!]

So, on that note...if we wanted to defer Freeview for the moment (ie until we had to use it when analog phased out) could we get just an aerial that would give us good coverage of TV1 and 2, that could later be used in conjunction with Freeview?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 2 months ago #316209 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
Just to add, that if you ever 'tape' off TV then with Freeview you need to buy a 'freeview hard drive recorder'. The normal hard drive recorders are built for the old analogue signal and will not pick up the digital signal and thus record.

More
14 years 2 months ago #316223 by reggit

Kilmoon;301389 wrote: Just to add, that if you ever 'tape' off TV then with Freeview you need to buy a 'freeview hard drive recorder'. The normal hard drive recorders are built for the old analogue signal and will not pick up the digital signal and thus record.

Eh?? We're still on VHS [}:)] Seriously. Would prefer to stay this way until (a) machine breaks or (b) we run out of tapes (not likely to happen with the amount we have in boxes round here!)

As you can guess, I hate chucking out stuff that still works. And I really don't think that our TV offerings are worth spending dollars on if not absolutely necessary...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 2 months ago #316244 by GrantK

tigger;301380 wrote: So, on that note...if we wanted to defer Freeview for the moment (ie until we had to use it when analog phased out) could we get just an aerial that would give us good coverage of TV1 and 2, that could later be used in conjunction with Freeview?

No, unfortunately Tigger. Because TV1/2 are on VHF, you need a very large aerial (like the ones people have had on their houses for donkeys' years). That will be of no use at all on FreeView. In the Waikato region this problem is exacerbated because TV1 from Mt. Te Aroha is on the lowest possible channel: Ch 1 on Low Band VHF. It needs very long aerial elements which will inevitably get bent by the next storm that comes through.

It's a bit of a Catch22 for you. However, if you want to reduce expenditure to the absolute minimum for now, the cheapest way is still to get a large VHF antenna installed, and also a FreeView UHF-compatible antenna installed at the same time. These can be combined with a diplexer and you will get good analog reception on all channels for now, then simply add a FreeView UHF receiver when you are ready. At that point, your VHF aerial will be redundant, but hey, that's life...

Kilmoon;301389 wrote: Just to add, that if you ever 'tape' off TV then with Freeview you need to buy a 'freeview hard drive recorder'. The normal hard drive recorders are built for the old analogue signal and will not pick up the digital signal and thus record.

No, that's not correct. With any Sky or FreeView decoder, you can still record on a VCR from the analog output. You just use the AV inputs to your VCR instead of the RF input. The quality will be much better too.

There is one exception to this, and that is where Sky Movies or Pay-Per-View Movies are concerned. In some cases, Sky will set a copy-protection flag preventing that movie being recorded. However, this doesn't affect the Free-to-Air channels such as TV1/2/3/Prime etc.

More
14 years 2 months ago #316250 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
I should take a photo of the remains of my tv aerial.. it has lost all the U shapes and the sticks and I have one stick left on the cross bar.. and still get good TV1-2 during a wind/rain its snowing on 3 and prime is either good or bad depending on the stars. I would be 30k from both Kate's tower and Mt TeAroha as the crow flies.... so try a bit of coat hanger wire Tiggs or I could find some of the broken bits and you could glue them to your roof.
TV 4 was blocked from our area so that Rotorua could get it without shadow.. and I can get the Maori channel also, but that can be snowing sometimes.
Yes all those years of paying the TV lic. and now going to buy it yourself is a bit like the drivers lic.. lifetime means 5-10yrs.. but dats progress!!!

More
14 years 2 months ago #316251 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
Tigs, I hope you have good reception on C4, or else hurry up and get your new dish/aerial done as Jack (24) is Back and starts on Friday :D :D :D

We shall have to do some grovelling as we shall be at nephews wedding in Auckland on Friday, so shall have to get sis to tape it for us - can't miss the first episode [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #316257 by reggit
YES! I saw 24 was starting again, Ronnie :D

Looks like aerial and Freeview the way to go then, thanks for all the good advice [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #316271 by The Kats Place
So you are sorted then tigger? Don't need my hbby to visit?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #316272 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
GrantK: VCR was sent to the scrap heap many years ago, only use hard-drive/DVD recorders. Hubby (a computer programmer) spent the better part of last year looking into this while waiting for prices to drop. With the demise of the analogue signal imminent the way to go is digital...if you do not get a freeview (or sky) hard-drive recorder with inbuilt digital decoder you cannot record tv shows. Okay, at the moment you still can as analogue signal still going...but eventually there will only be a digital signal, thus it is not worth buying a hard-drive/DVD recorder that doesn't also have built in digital decoder.

More
14 years 2 months ago #316275 by GrantK

Kilmoon;301458 wrote: GrantK: VCR was sent to the scrap heap many years ago, only use hard-drive/DVD recorders. Hubby (a computer programmer) spent the better part of last year looking into this while waiting for prices to drop. With the demise of the analogue signal imminent the way to go is digital...

Yes, that part is entirely correct.

Kilmoon;301458 wrote: if you do not get a freeview (or sky) hard-drive recorder with inbuilt digital decoder you cannot record tv shows.

Sorry, but this part is not correct. Check with hubby later.

Any Digital TV Decoder (Sky/MySky/MySky HDi or FreeView Satellite/UHF) includes an analog output providing Audio Outputs and a Video Output which can be recorded by any recording device at all, be it a VHS Tape Recorder, Hard Disk Recorder or DVD Recorder.

Kilmoon;301458 wrote: it is not worth buying a hard-drive/DVD recorder that doesn't also have built in digital decoder.

This bit I also agree with.

People who buy standalone DVD recorders are wasting their money because you need to program the DVD recorder for the correct recording Start/Stop times as well as your Digital TV decoder to be on the correct channel at the time of the recording. It's like you had to do in the old days (sorry Tigger :p ) with VHS Tapes and the programming remote, except that now you also have your Digital TV decoder to program as well, and it's all just a big waste of time.

Compare this with the simplicity of just pressing the REC button from within your Hard Disk Recorder's Electronic Programme Guide and you can see why people who have owned a Hard Disk Recorder with built-in Digital TV Decoder would never go back to the old ways.

In recent months, this same convenience has been made available to FreeView subscribers, with a range of Hard Disk Recorders appearing at quite reasonable prices ($400 or so and up). Previously, it was only available to MySky subscribers, or to a select few who liked to tinker with Home Theatre PCs and Tuner Cards.

The ease of recording programmes has now been taken a step further with Sky's Remote Record facility. Instead of flicking through the TV Guide, I now just open my web browser to here:

www.skytv.co.nz/

then click the TV Guide button and voila, a listing of all programmes on all channels for the next week appears. As you can see, there is a grey R button to the left of each show. When you have registered with Sky's Website, those grey buttons turn into red ones, and you can record any show just by clicking the red R button. How easy is that?

More
14 years 2 months ago #316316 by reggit
So....us Luddites can still use our VHS with Freeview?

TKP I think we have it sorted now, its still a wee while off, but this has helped get my head round it [;)]

I can currently get 24, SVU, Law and Order, House, The Simpsons, Family Guy and repeat Dr Who episodes clear as a bell, so pretty content for the moment - will get this sorted out once some more pennies saved or something decent comes on TV1 or 2, whichever comes first.

More
14 years 2 months ago #316319 by Pumpkingirl
I'm going to have so much free time when TV goes, I dont know if it's a :D or a :(

I'll miss House :( :( :(

This is a really luddite question - even if I have the right aerial, will my old TV still be able to receive the signal?

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds