Dishes or aerials for TV?

More
14 years 1 month ago #21870 by reggit
Okay, you techie folk, usual rules of engagement apply - plain language for a Luddite please [}:)]

We currently have good ol' rabbit ears on our telly which allows us to get C4, TV3, Prime and Maori TV clear as a bell.

TV2 and TV1 are shockingly snowy. We have cabling in for Sky but are unlikely to be getting it, if ever, it was just a bit of future proofing for (heaven forbid) resale or if either of us ever gets couch bound for whatever reason.

We were going to get an aerial but then we have been confuddled by talk of dishes instead and the pros and cons of each.

So can someone please lay out for us what the pros and cons of each are? I don't want to get one and find out that it is only viable for a year or two until technology changes and we are forced to as well, but neither do I want to spend extra dosh on bells and whistles that aren't needed.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #316094 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
During the next year or two 2012 at the latest TV arials in the country will be obsolete. You will need either a sky box or "Freeview" Sky you rent and pay Freeview you buy the set top box and 10 or so channels inc 1,2,3 prime etc etc are free to air. You will need a dish either way, if your place was wired for Sky you should have one which will do Freeview as well!!!

Looks like it will have to be Freeview for us. :)

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
14 years 1 month ago #316096 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
Next question then...what are good brands of dishes? And how long can you expect the inner bit (receiver thingeree?) of a dish to last?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 1 month ago #316097 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
You can get a very basic "Sky" which has the free to air channels only. I think it's about $18 per month. But not sure what the installation cost would be for the dish.

More
14 years 1 month ago #316099 by The Kats Place
You need to talk to my DH. Should I fetch him over for a coffee sometime and a look see?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 1 month ago #316107 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
agreed ronnie :)
Thats what i use that basic package $18.20 a month .. tv's 1,2,3,prime, trackside
Um i got a deal when i put it in $49 and 2 months of lots of sky chanells for free, when my 2 months ran out i just opted for the basic package .... as i am like Tigger ... recption is shit here off bunny ears ... and i figgure lots of $18.20 months befor i have even paid for just a dish :) lol

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
14 years 1 month ago #316109 by kayjay
Replied by kayjay on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
Some of the above information is not totally correct.
Within the next 3-4 years or so, the present analogue tv broadcasts will cease and digital broadcasting will take its place. Digital tv is already available and is known as Freeview (different from Sky tv). Digital tv is available by satellite and a dish is required or by UHF and an aerial is required. UHF is used when you have a transmitting tower within reasonable distance otherwise you would use the satellite system. UHF broadcasts television in high definition and satellite broadcasts standard definition, thus UHF will be the better option.
Look here for all the possibilities and what is available in your area - www.freeviewnz.tv/

More
14 years 1 month ago #316111 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?

tigger;301255 wrote: Okay, you techie folk, usual rules of engagement apply - plain language for a Luddite please [}:)]

We currently have good ol' rabbit ears on our telly which allows us to get C4, TV3, Prime and Maori TV clear as a bell.

Prime and Maori TV are on UHF, the others are on VHF, as are TV1 and TV2.

I remember when we visited Kate's old place, she lived almost in the shadow of Mt. Ruru which has a whacking great big mast on it. This is where TV3 and C4 come from, which is why your reception of those channels is good.

tigger;301255 wrote: TV2 and TV1 are shockingly snowy.

TV1 and TV2 on the other hand, come from Mt. Te Aroha, which is much further away.

tigger;301255 wrote: We have cabling in for Sky but are unlikely to be getting it, if ever, it was just a bit of future proofing for (heaven forbid) resale or if either of us ever gets couch bound for whatever reason.

It sounds like you don't have a dish installed then, just the cabling.

tigger;301255 wrote: We were going to get an aerial but then we have been confuddled by talk of dishes instead and the pros and cons of each.

So can someone please lay out for us what the pros and cons of each are?

Because you have good UHF reception (Prime and Maori TV), you should be able to get FreeView on UHF with the simple addition of an outdoor aerial and a set-top box. The cabling you have installed should work OK for that as well.

tigger;301255 wrote: I don't want to get one and find out that it is only viable for a year or two until technology changes and we are forced to as well, but neither do I want to spend extra dosh on bells and whistles that aren't needed.

FreeView on UHF is the newest technology available, therefore it will have the longest life. FreeView on Satellite is still fairly new as well; you won't have any obsolescence problems there, but the picture quality is not as good as FreeView on UHF. Also, you need a dish for FreeView Satellite, which is much more expensive than a UHF aerial.

arnie.m;301256 wrote: During the next year or two 2012 at the latest TV arials in the country will be obsolete.

Actually Arnie, that's not correct. By 2012 at the latest, they will announce the date for analog switch off, which will be at least 5 years after the date of the announcement. The announcement date may be earlier than 2012 if the uptake of digital TV surpasses 75%. This is the total of Sky TV-equipped households added to the total of FreeView-equipped households.

For an idea of the expenditure you would be looking at Tigger, have a look at the FreeView shop here:

www.freeviewnz.tv/products/listing/hd

FreeView HD is the version which is broadcast on UHF. As you can see, the receivers range from $199 upwards, so if you go for an entry-level receiver, it is not very expensive.

Here are some installers handy to you:

Rainbow Connections

Phone: 07 8566 846
027 4821 810

Theatrics Waikato

Phone: 07 849 6886
027 489 6886

Tisco Satellite and Aerial

Phone: 07 846 0596
021 222 0113

I suggest you give them a call, and see what the installation charge for a Freeview HD-compatible UHF aerial would be in your area. I don't think it will cost very much at all.

You can either buy a receiver from the Online store on the Freeview website (as mentioned above), or from the retailers that are listed.

Hope that helps,
Grant :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 1 month ago #316112 by reggit
I did hear similar to that elsewhere, kayjay...we are within coverage of Te Aroha transmitter.

More
14 years 1 month ago #316114 by reggit
Okay so...if we go with a UHF aerial and Freeview box, we should get all the channels to a good quality...?

And that will last us until analog is phased out?

And would that set up also work if we did (heaven forbid) decide to get Sky?

And Freeview on UHF will get us all the existing non-Sky channels???

I might add that we have a Panasonic Sophia TV (about 6-7 years old? NOT a flatscreen [}:)]) that I am assuming will not be useable once analog goes? It won't be replaced until (a) it dies or (b) it is no longer able to receive signals due to technology changes [;)] better things to spend our money on at the moment than new TVs!

Our local appliance shop has half-price Freeview box offers a couple of times a year, so we'll keep an eye out for the next offer...

More
14 years 1 month ago #316120 by GrantK

tigger;301280 wrote: Okay so...if we go with a UHF aerial and Freeview box, we should get all the channels to a good quality...? And that will last us until analog is phased out?

A list of available channels on FreeView HD (the UHF service) is here:

TV1 / TV2 / TV3
C4 / Maori / TVNZ6 / TVNZ7
TV3+1 / Prime / Parliament TV
TV Central / National Radio / Concert FM

Once you have FreeView, the analog switch-off won't affect you at all [8D]

tigger;301280 wrote: I might add that we have a Panasonic Sophia TV (about 6-7 years old? NOT a flatscreen [}:)]) that I am assuming will not be useable once analog goes? It won't be replaced until (a) it dies or (b) it is no longer able to receive signals due to technology changes [;)] better things to spend our money on at the moment than new TVs!

That TV will work fine with any FreeView box, right now, and way into the future, although you won't see the pictures in Widescreen, or HD. Your next upgrade will take care of both issues.

More
14 years 1 month ago #316121 by reggit
Thanks Grant, that is a great help. I edited in one last question on the last post while you were answering the previous ones :rolleyes:

Would that set up also work if we did (heaven forbid) decide to get Sky? Or would we at that stage need to go satellite?

More
14 years 1 month ago #316133 by GrantK

tigger;301288 wrote: Would that set up also work if we did (heaven forbid) decide to get Sky? Or would we at that stage need to go satellite?

No, the UHF aerial wouldn't work because Sky is a Satellite-only service.

However, from the info. I saw on the web site, you would probably only have wasted $79 approx. for the aerial, as the cabling could be used again.

And the FreeView box could be sold for something on Trade Me, although probably not a lot, given how quickly this type of equipment depreciates.

Whichever way you go, there would be some cost to be written off if you decide to change down the track. Given the lower up-front cost of a UHF Aerial vs. a Satellite Dish, it's probably the least risky approach because the FreeView decoder boxes are priced pretty much the same for either the UHF or Satellite options.

More
14 years 1 month ago #316136 by GrantK
Here's one more edited-in question I didn't answer before:

tigger;301280 wrote: And Freeview on UHF will get us all the existing non-Sky channels???

Not quite. There are a few extra channels on FreeView Satellite:

- Stratos (fairly similar to Triangle TV in Auckland)
- Cue
- Te Reo
- and soon Shine TV will also be available on FreeView Satellite

More
14 years 1 month ago #316140 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dishes or aerials for TV?
I must have had been asleep. When did Prime join the Freeview camp. When I looked some time ago they had not gone on board. I have fantstic reception from every channel at the moment (with just an aerial) including but not perfect Juice. Why are we changing from free to having to buy something to watch TV? Doesn't make sense to me and how many people will miss out because of the setup costs? Weird.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds