Unusual animal names...

More
14 years 3 months ago #316197 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Unusual animal names...
The series of books I am re reading at the moment have Tee Tucker, the corgi, Mrs Murphy, the tiger cat, Pewter, a rotund gray cat, Simon the Possum, Flat Face the barn owl, Lucy Fur and Elocution the vicars cats (who got into the store cupboard and ate the communion wafers, Paddy, Mrs Murphys ex mate and quite a raft of others, including their human slaves.

I named all of my chooks but can't really tell them apart, except of Doris Day the Bantam cross, Mary Wickes (we call her Slugger), Dusty Springfield, Carol Channing and Paddington the Rooster, cos he's an Aruacana which come from South America ... which is where Paddington came from... Darkest Peru.

We have just adopted Brandy and Sandy, two brown shavers, the two little chooks caught under a neighbours bed are awaiting names. We have one gray mottled hen that visits us I've called Gertie. I keep trying to lure her closer by throwing pellets but she rockets off, petticoats all of a flutter.

The Cockatiel is named Freya cos she needed something soft and feathery sounding.
Pilot Harper, Kims dog has a white tip at the end of her tail so in long grass, it looked like a pilot light... or one of those fish that have like a little lantern they dangle in front of their mouths... the Harper bit is taken from Harper Lee who wrote 'To Kill and Mockingbird' Pilot knows when she is in trouble cos she gets called by her full name.... "Pilot Harper! what are you doing?"

Bria was a name I found on a Irish name website.

I had a tropical sucker fish called Tellus, he died and the next one is called Newman, after a UK Vacuum cleaner.

My goats, Artemis and Athena after Greek Godesses, Yakut was the name of a Sharmaness on Xena Warrior Princess and Yakut IS an old soul.
Mr Tumnus was named well before the movie came out, Cricket, cos she was bouncy, Koru had a stiff neck when she was born and it unfurled over several weeks, just like a frond. Hanukkah was already named by her breeder because she was born quite close to Christmas and I picked Yakira for her daughters name because it's Hebrew and means Precious.

Nigella (Lawson) and Delia (Smith) were named by their first owner, it was his final year for being able to attend Calf club. I feel Delia should have been called Marylin Munroe, she has a black beauty spot on her cheek.

The three young bucks I had to send to my sister once they were weaned were Marshall, Mehtrz and MaCaw....... The Three Crusaders (Canterbury Crusaders) Marshall died though, so they only got two Crusaders.

Tonks is named after Nymphodora Tonks in the Harry Potter series. Phoebe is named after Phoebe in Friends and Rivka is Jewish for Rebbecca.

Marcella the turtle is named indirectly from Marcell Marceau the mime artist cos she looked like she was trying to create his famous walking in the wind scene, except she was in a tank of water swimming at the glass side. Her mate Cousteau (RIP) was named after Jaques Cousteau cos he went exploring the tank as soon as he was put into it.

The late Trees' mum was called Acorn and Tree was just not the right size or demeanour to be called Oak so Tree it was... plus I'd been watching a Tommy Chong movie called "Far Out Man" and his girlfriend who had walked out on him, taking all the patches on his jeans with her was called Tree, it just seemed to fit. She had other names as well though, depending on her mood, "Hiss", "Liltin Tay in a win" (off the movie Nell and meaning like a tree in the wind" ) or just 'Liltin Tay' which I took to mean Little Tree

Nako was supposed to be Japanese for cat but the woman taking lessons had been taking other things as well and obviously wasn't visiting planet earth during that lesson... but it suited him, so Nako it was... he got called a raft of things though, "Beautiful Mans" Lub-a-dee, Mans.

I had a mouse called Muss for three years when I was a kid, he was my mate, a little pewter coloured chap.... oh and way way back when, we had a big goldfish called Penelope. She used to suck my finger when I put my hand in the pond. She vanished one day, never to be seen again.

I had a guineapig called Portia and one called Romeo and another one, a special chap I'd rescued called Ben... he was a long haired chap, looked like a walking floor mop and needed his coat brushed a lot. He was old when I got him and died not long after but he'd been in a right state when I picked him up. A clump of hair that had matted together when he'd moulted was as big as my fist and sort of wobbling along behind him when he walked. At least he had a couple of months of clean happy living before he died.

Some friends of ours have a gorgeous part ragdoll cat, solid gray in colour, his name started off as Frodo and has gained rank as he's grown, he is now Lord King Frodo and he knows it... gorgeous boy though, just like a rag doll, he flops into your arms and loves company..... then the family got a Catahula hound..... it's a breed from Louisiana. His name is Riley and Frodo, in spite of everyone making sure he doesn't lose his self made throne, is a little put out but getting over it.

I like names that are out of the loop... or outside the square..... how many white goats have names referring to snow? Flake, ball, usually.

There was a great huge lollop of a dog on a UK rescue programme a while back called Shackadeamus...... Shacka for short but what a cool name for such a big lollopy friendly dog.

The neighbour has a young dog.... I saw him when he was a pup and asked what his name was.... 'Boy' Ha ha ha.

He dotes on that dog, the dog went off one night so he got up to see what 'boy' was barking at.. someone was trying to break into his van. After that Boy went even further up in his esteem. Very proud of Boy he was.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #316212 by PepperGiz
Replied by PepperGiz on topic Unusual animal names...
We have three sheep. I named the first one Molly as she was sooo cute....then we got another 2 to keep her company and I asked DD if she wanted to name them, she came up with "Molly and Molly".....so I said that could be a problem that they were all named Molly. So she then came up with Karen & Bart. So that's what they are now. lmao

More
14 years 3 months ago #316222 by The Kats Place
All the chooks are named Henny Penny and the rooster is Horace

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #316225 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Unusual animal names...
Some of our animals names are:

Duck called "Ducky duck duck"
Goose called "Goosey Loosey"
Peacock called "Puttputt" (until he vanished)
Cows called " MooMoo, Sucky, "LittleF"
Pet sheep named by the kids of course "Boomer, Pumpkin, Roseberry, Tinkletinkle, lamblamb"
Not forgetting the resident eels lol, kids named them to "Eric. Edwina, Ernie"

Jan

More
14 years 3 months ago #316234 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Unusual animal names...
my grandchildren are
goat= Horse
dog =Bear
cat=Mouse
My new kitten is Muffin, being a calico, she looks like a peach and blueberry muffin and is scrumptious so I eat her every day
Laverne the Kune cos I got her from a friend called Shirley.
Sadie the saddleback as sadie the cleaning lady, the way she emptied her food bowl!
Chelsea the belted galloway calf cos she was sooo sweet when born

More
14 years 3 months ago #316309 by Double8
Replied by Double8 on topic Unusual animal names...
Hyper Piper puppy the porpoise (Piper) - dog
Bon Bon should be Bouncy bouncy - dog
Pumpkin - GP
Sonnet - GP (cause see sings to you)
Sovereign - Gold coloured GP
Gemma aka Donkey, cowpat, baggage - horse (RIP)
Pikelet - Rabbit
Aslan - cat (he looks like a lion)
Jigsaw - torti cat
Vincent the beast - Cat
Quartz and Cloud - Budgies
Silly Tilly - horse

A friend has a horse call Vivacious aka vomit. 88 :)

What am I? Fly paper for freaks?!

More
14 years 3 months ago #316310 by Double8
Replied by Double8 on topic Unusual animal names...
Hyper Piper puppy the porpoise (Piper) - dog
Bon Bon should be Bouncy bouncy - dog
Pumpkin - GP
Sonnet - GP (cause see sings to you)
Sovereign - Gold coloured GP
Gemma aka Donkey, cowpat, baggage - horse (RIP)
Pikelet - Rabbit
Aslan - cat (he looks like a lion)
Jigsaw - torti cat
Vincent the beast - Cat
Quartz and Cloud - Budgies
Silly Tilly - horse

A friend has a horse call Vivacious aka vomit. 88 :)

What am I? Fly paper for freaks?!

More
14 years 3 months ago #316313 by jerry leadbetter
our ginger cat is called Marthur. When we first got her, they told us she was a he, so he was called Arthur. When he went to the vet for a check and shots the vet broke the news and an old fella in the waiting room said to us "Arthur is actually Martha" and that stuck.

We also have Cadbury the chocolate Lab (do I need to change his name to Kraft now?) and we named the four ewes that we're going to keep for breeding (Daphne, Phyllis, Margot and Gladys)

When we were in London we had two goldfish called Horse and Pig, and prior to that I used to have 5 goldfish that I named Gary, Mark, Robbie, Jason and Howard (named after 90's pop group Take That - we're going a bit here) they all died in the order that they left the band, which was a little spooky.

I also had a rat that was called Lestat (coz it rhymed and I liked the book / movie!)

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

More
14 years 3 months ago #316482 by NZ Appaloosas
We had a white cat named "Midnight", a colt named "Newboy" (as he was the latest one in a series of colts that year), and well, the rest of the names I'd have to type with @#$% type 'letters', as they're really not printable (and mostly used by the chef). Have had a couple of Shilohs, a Killian, and a Bobo (all dogs), a cat named "Myst" after the book. Oh, and probably the weirdest was a hamster named "mou mou" (christened thus by my then toddler daughter).

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 3 months ago #316485 by Cate
Replied by Cate on topic Unusual animal names...
And I thought I was mad! one of my ex horses is called Cherry Oak Kris Krene, but is affectionately known as Buddley Fairweather.........go figure!
Dog is called officially Blue Grass Gin and Tonic, AKA known as Dyllis, aka Licker of Dibley!!!

Cate

More
14 years 3 months ago #316624 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Unusual animal names...
oh and i forgot...

Cat 1: Princess Mog Bog
Cat 2: Tabitha Twitchet Witchet
Dog: The Tasmania Devil aka Little Fat Dog aka Farty Bum aka Tazzie

Jan

More
14 years 3 months ago #316788 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic Unusual animal names...
our 2 year old called the pigs "Cake" and "Cupcake" cake is about 60kg cupcake is about 90.

Cats called Fraggle and Jag

one goat called Monkey, 2 others called Ruby and Jade for the colour of their collars - would be darned hard to tell them apart without those collars :)

dogs Gandalf and Strider (Strider should have been called Smegol as he is the most fawning pathetic creature ever but he does have a bit of a Golem side too)

rest of animals named for various cuts of meat or cuss words depending what they are up too

More
14 years 3 months ago #318818 by Ducking Around
We have three deformed chickens. One called Egor (she has a bent neck) one called Frankenstein (she has a big lump on her eye) and one called Beaker (her top beak is twisted over the bottom one)

More
14 years 3 months ago #318829 by clowder
Replied by clowder on topic Unusual animal names...
gosh what fabulous names!
we have/had...dogs, olive and her daughter pip, miss whistle and her daughter sassafras, leda box..cos she looked like one...piwhakawhaka.
cats now/been...platerpus...who morphed into mr barr-lattle or, if he was telling the weather mr barr-rometer or, if he was being a toad mr barr-bastard....
touchmeandIpurr...cos she would, bay, fyffe, bannor,toshiba, isusu,moss,ivor,marmaduke,chello,malinkle, spud, leibgher, spot, van. I'm sure there are more...oh the kittens...mofh and plush.
the three silver spangled hamburg hens are collectivley known as the Larry's.
non of the other hens or roosters are named.
pet sheep were yarn and lilly-pod.
my fav old goat is ballerina pavalova and her daughter is piccolo.
horse is fweckles.
the geese are balthamus and barroc...after the angles.
and I'm not even going to let you know the names of my children!

More
14 years 3 months ago #318837 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Unusual animal names...
:D :D That reminds me, clowder, that we have/had a long series of Lavender Araucana roos, all of whom have been named Ziggy (after Ziggy Stardust... the hair thing) and for a time we had Ziggys 1 through 7, and my daughter could tell them all apart!

Our first dog after we got married was Bandida, La Reina del Mundo (a Lhasa Apso who really did think she was Queen of the World), and a mini schnauzer whose registered name was Herr Kartofel-kopf (Mr. Potato Head), aka Tater McBoingBoing. Then there were Katze and Knish the cats. Every year before chick hatching and kidding season, my daughter makes lists of all the potential names she likes that year, even going so far as looking up baby names on the internet! :p :p

Andrea
Oxford

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds