BBQ areas

More
12 years 4 months ago #21833 by PepperGiz
BBQ areas was created by PepperGiz
So .......following on from my thread about our retaining wall....that is all in an effort to create a new play area/entertainment area/bbq area.

We have an old old crusty looking 4 burner BBQ from the BBQ factory which is on it's way out, but once the new entertaining area is finished, we want to get a new BBQ.

DH would like a 6 burner with a hood for roasting things. [:0]

I LOVE the look of the concrete type plaster finish of a BBQ area with the BBQ "built in" to a bench rather than a freestanding BBQ. Kinda like this one (was the best photo I could find) http://www.landscapeelements.co.nz/cs/Services.asp?type=7

Does anyone have a bbq area set up like this? What are the pro's and con's? Costs? Brands of BBQ you'd recommend? Anyone you know who does this kind of BBQ construction with plaster finish in the Akl area? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #315720 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic BBQ areas
The only comment I would make about a built in one as pictured (assuming it is fixed) is how annoying it would be if the wind was blowing the smoke at your eating area, not away.

I wonder if you can get one that you can pop into a space you have allowed (like sitting on the bench) and if and when it ends up pitted and or non functional, you just replace it with another one! Equally, you can move it if the party you organised a week ago happens to have the wind in the wrong direction on the day. Darn :(

More
12 years 4 months ago #315722 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic BBQ areas
I have worked on a couple of barbecue areas that had built-in type barbecues. There are a few models available for this, and they do tend to be the pricey type. Some camping grills are also suitable.

Make the work surfaces cleanable. Plaster in a grease splatter or food spill zone is a pain. Non porous types of stone, stainless and timber are easier to look after for the work area.
Get the height right - to suit you, which is not necessarily the standard height.
Make sure you have enough flat surfaces handy for drinks, utensils, raw and cooked food.
If it will be a gas cooker, you can run a gas line to it from the same gas bottles you may have for the house and have a bayonet fitting to allow removal of the barbecue unit, or even a short run to a cupboard under the bench can be handy if those are your only gas bottles.
Have plenty of space between it and the eating table so that people aren't bumped into a hot grill, but don't isolate the poor wee chef![;)] Have room for the grillers to chat to their mates with the beer.
Think about how far things need to be carried from the kitchen. Try to keep the indoor and outdoor cooking and eating areas so people can see what is going on in one from the other, or you tend to end up with split groups or lonely chefs.

Are you likely to use it for lunches, dinners or breakfasts even? Think about the sun and wind at the most likely time of day and year. Plan for some shade. [8D]
If you want to screen the prevailing wind you can use a solid screen which will block the wind completely for about the same distance as its height, but the area beyond will get more turbulence, or a filtering screen, which reduces the wind strength and shelters a much larger area. The optimum porosity for a filtering wind screen (ratio of holes to solid) is 20-30%. I am always wanting to know of trees and shubs that meet this!:confused:

Any good contractor will be able to do what you want - but do get the planning right. It is always cheaper to change things on paper :D

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds