Help with Importing Needed

More
12 years 5 months ago #21727 by Toast
I'm looking at importing some goods from China.

Does anybody have any experience with it and/or what NZ agency can I contact for guidance? Trade & Enterprise are not keen to help as they are trying to generate business within NZ & hopefully have people exporting to bring funds in. Fair enough.

I'm keen to know about how to check that a business is authentic, payment details, what else I have to pay for, how to deal with freight, samples & any other info.

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #314287 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Help with Importing Needed
Your local Economic Development Unit should provide some help for you. Down here they are called Venture Southland and have been a huge help when I have been trying to deal with the Chinese.
But then again, I have been working the other way in selling stuff to Chinese. Their unit verified the authenticity of the chinese company I was working with, along with other stuff.

Any of the Customs brokers (local phone book) should provide some sort of help as well.

Customs can also be of some help with cost of GST and duty etc which has to be paid before your goods are released to you.

Several big buyers who trade on trademe may also be of some help, if you could contact them.

If there is anything I can help with, PM me if you would prefer.

More
12 years 5 months ago #314293 by Pumpkingirl

ronnie;299249 wrote: Your local Economic Development Unit should provide some help for you.

And that would be Vision Manawatu:

www.visionmanawatu.org.nz/1.html

This group includes the Manawatu Chamber of Commerce , who would also be a good port of call for more information.

We import DVDs from the UK and require an agent to process it through Customs so we pay the correct duty and GST - they're pretty easy to find, ours is Activair and they've been really good.

There is some basic information here from Customs, and a guide for importers here.

This is a very informative article on how to get started in importing, including groups that can help like the Importers Institute . It also recommends getting in touch with your local Chamber of Commerce.

More
12 years 5 months ago #314309 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Help with Importing Needed
I wonder whether the Chinese Embassy could advise or give you some contacts?

More
12 years 5 months ago #314314 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Help with Importing Needed
I do know people who import from China. They all have either travelled to China themselves to inspect the production facilities or have used an agent to do the inspection for them.

More
12 years 5 months ago #314320 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Help with Importing Needed

Simkin;299276 wrote: I do know people who import from China. They all have either travelled to China themselves to inspect the production facilities or have used an agent to do the inspection for them.

Agreed 100%.

For many years we imported goods from Taiwan, starting with an agent, then travelling to Taiwan to meet with the suppliers directly. In every case where the supplier was a genuine manufacturer, they took us on tours of their production facilities, and we met all the key staff who were supporting us in the various roles: Sales, Technical, Logistics, right up to CEO and President in many cases.

If the supplier won't show you their production facilities, they are a trading company, not a manufacturer. Even then you can be hoodwinked, but with a bit of experience, you learn to tell the difference.

If you want to have a continuing relationship, it will be essential to travel to China at least once every year or two, depending on how quickly the product range is growing. If they are a reputable supplier, they will probably send some of their staff to visit you as well.

Daniel Silva Customs Brokers (as per PG's post) have been in the game a long time. Anything they write is well worth reading, from past experience.

More
12 years 5 months ago #314336 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Help with Importing Needed
It would be worth your while reading Joe Bennett's, " Where Underpants Come From ". Very enlightening and entertaining look into the realities of manufacturing businesses in China and how they operate including visits to 'The Warehouse's' administrative operations in mainland China.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 5 months ago #314337 by cantyguy
Replied by cantyguy on topic Help with Importing Needed
With all due respect don't you think we have enough chinese cr*p in NZ already.
'Buy NZ' :-)

More
12 years 5 months ago #314435 by Simkin

cantyguy;299302 wrote: With all due respect don't you think we have enough chinese cr*p in NZ already.

Seconded.

More
12 years 5 months ago #314437 by debnjohn
Replied by debnjohn on topic Help with Importing Needed
When I read the the title my first (befuddled) thought was what is 'Needed' - perhaps you can get 'Needed' locally :)

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" Albert Einstein

More
12 years 5 months ago #314448 by Organix

Organix;299301 wrote: It would be worth your while reading Joe Bennett's, " Where Underpants Come From ". Very enlightening and entertaining look into the realities of manufacturing businesses in China and how they operate including visits to 'The Warehouse's' administrative operations in mainland China.

cantyguy;299302 wrote: With all due respect don't you think we have enough chinese cr*p in NZ already.

Joe's book will serve to reinforce the foolishness of importing Chinese manufactured goods when you discover the conditions those goods are made under and the ruination of Chinese social structure that is resulting from their rush away from rural areas and into industrially based urban areas by huge numbers of all but the very young and very old.

Also while the 'disadvantaged' portion of Western populations increasingly bleat about manufacturing jobs evaporating in their own countries those same people continue to buy cheap imported inferior quality crap from retailers such as The Warehouse and Walmart in droves..... Doh!!!

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 5 months ago #314461 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic Help with Importing Needed
We imported herbs from China for over 20 years & had no trouble with the company we dealt with.
Years later we still receive greetings from the manager each Christmas.
The products were always cleared through MAF.
Our Bank Westpac always managed the payments for us.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
12 years 5 months ago #314462 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Help with Importing Needed

Organix;299421 wrote: Joe's book will serve to reinforce the foolishness of importing Chinese manufactured goods when you discover the conditions those goods are made under and the ruination of Chinese social structure that is resulting from their rush away from rural areas and into industrially based urban areas by huge numbers of all but the very young and very old.

Yeah -- it's China's version of the Industrial Revolution. A couple of centuries later than England's, but think about where England would be today if the industrial revolution had not occurred.

Some might say that England would be better off, with more people still living in the country, and less in overcrowded urban areas. Exactly the same as you are trying to say about China.

Why should China be denied the opportunity to develop their country in the same way as England did? Think back to what the working conditions were like during England's industrial revolution. 10-year old children were working 12-hour days if I remember correctly.

The fact remains that China buys an awful lot of our products, much as we buy an awful lot of theirs. It's called TRADE, and is what makes the world go around. Unless of course you want to follow the Green Party's policies and only consume what is produced in your own country. It is a viewpoint that holds sway with some parts of our society, but can hardly be taken seriously by most of us...

End of Rant :)

More
12 years 5 months ago #314480 by Simkin

GrantK;299436 wrote: but think about where England would be today if the industrial revolution had not occurred.

England produced goods for their own people. Most Chinese still can't afford the products they make - that's the reason why the workers are kept in compounds for 49 weeks each year, only allowed out for 3 weeks around Chinese New Year time.

China buys raw materials from us - one reason why concrete among many other things has become so expensive. It's not good for us in any way and it's not good for the Chinese worker either.

More
12 years 5 months ago #314483 by Organix

GrantK;299436 wrote: ........
The fact remains that China buys an awful lot of our products, much as we buy an awful lot of theirs. It's called TRADE, and is what makes the world go around. Unless of course you want to follow the Green Party's policies and only consume what is produced in your own country. It is a viewpoint that holds sway with some parts of our society, but can hardly be taken seriously by most of us...

End of Rant :)

I'm not a great fan of Green Party propaganda; went off them big time when they backed the Labour government on matters including denying us the Privy Council and the anti-smacking bill amongst others.

The big difference between China's move into industrialisation now compared to Britain's industrial revolution is that China's development effects us all on a global scale thanks to the global ecoonomy that we now all live in. This results in goods being manufactured in countries with third world pay rates competeing directly with domestically produced products in the first world causing the economic damage we are all well aware of.

In addition much of the reciprocal trade you mention is sale of primary resources (if not the oilfields, mines or forests that produce them) to the likes of China, which are then cheaply processed into often poor quality products to sell back to us. The alarming rate of depletion of those primary resources is accelerating and as they deplete so the price will increase and trickle down to the price paid for those end products. Add to the rampant consumerism of the Western world the growing appetite for bling from the new rich of China and India and it becomes obvious that today's bargains will be tomorrow's financial burden for much of the world, especially since many country's domestic manufacturing sectors will be a distant memory by then and therefore poorly able to provide an economic alternative to the no-longer cheap imported products.

The United States, and Europe to a large extent, are far from out of the economic woods in terms of the current recession and the US economy is still very much teetering on the brink in many aspects. New Zealand escaped the first wave of the global recession over the last year or two thanks to our major trading banks receiving a big handout from their Australian owners. Australia in turn was spared the global recession thanks to China's appetite for its mineral resources. Like many, I suspect that we are currently in an economic lull rather than a recovery and as such the move back to 'business as usual' is something that should be treading very carefully on, especially if one is relying on it to embark on an import enterprise.

My rant over :cool:

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds