Cat - reaction to flea/worm treatment

More
14 years 1 month ago #314540 by BillyTheTractor
Jen it was horrible! But thankfully totally under control now! Whew.
Simkin, when DH went to the vets to get the practic he asked the person on the desk if other people were having a problem, she said yes - he said with Frontline - she said yes. So, perhaps they have built up an immunity to it. wee buggers.

Wee Farm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #314544 by missab
hi jen, as my first post i thought id give my tidbit of advice[:I]. i am a vet nurse and know that certain cats do develope a reaction to the chemicals in some flea treatments, i do not like treatments that contain wormers as the animal only needs worming every 3 months but flea treatment is meant to be monthly, also the treatments with wormers included go into the animals stomach to kill worms whereas the others are only to the skin layer. sounds like your cat has had a reaction to it (washing it now wont do much to help as it has entered deeper than skin layer, id say use less chemicals, if you go back to using advantage you can buy them in singles and get an extra large single and a 1ml syringe. then use it to treat all your cats at 0.8ml per cat. saves you heaps! and then just use tablets for the worms (they are usually only about $2 each) and only needed 4 times a year :D

3 equines (brendon,bellissimo and mariah), 6 wiltshire ewes + 4 ram lambs, 1 mini goat (pinky),1 berkshire sow (penelope), 20 odd chickens,6 sebastopol goslings, 3 flemish giant rabbits(bones,bounce,moon), longhaired guinea pig(splish)1 mastif (auto), 2 chihuahuas (mia,seeka),1 maincoon cat...

More
14 years 1 month ago #315505 by bevhawkins
Wehave religiously used Frontline on all our dogs(3) since we have had them as pups, then we had a huge flea prob - I rang Frontline helpline and they sent me free samples and told me to carry on with them,. no change and our vet said other people had problems too, they build up a resistance, we put them on Practic and straightaway the fleas vanished and have not come back, on another note one of my terriers had a really bad reaction to the Frontline which resulted in him having some kind of turn, really frightening - as soon as he hears the foil paper coming off the flea treatment he bolts and hides!!

More
14 years 1 month ago #315529 by Ronney
I can understand completely why people use the broad sprectrum products such as Advocate, Frontline, etc. Getting a pill into a cat often becomes a monumental excercise and if cats are like mine, puting it into the food doesn't work - they can smell it a mile off and refuse to eat it. Even sardines won't disguise the smell of a supposedly liver-tasting worming pill[}:)]

So 3 of my 4 were wormed/deflead yesterday useing Advocate - by this afternoon Black Cat had a bald patch where it had been applied. Possum and Titten were fine.

I have few problems with fleas in either the dogs or cats but worms in the cats are a huge problem and I suspect that is down to the hunting prowess of Blinky cat.

I don't know why I don't have flea/worm problems in the dogs. They get treatment probably twice a year at most. They are great swimmers and rollers in dust and cowshit and despite that are clean and don't smell. Because I have it, they get fed milk as part of their diet and milk is supposed to inhibit worms. I don't know how true that actually is but I rarely worm my pigs either. Their kennels are built on stilts off the ground and there is nowhere for fleas to breed other than on the dog.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 1 month ago #315532 by BillyTheTractor

bevhawkins;300601 wrote: Wehave religiously used Frontline on all our dogs(3) since we have had them as pups, then we had a huge flea prob - I rang Frontline helpline and they sent me free samples and told me to carry on with them,. no change and our vet said other people had problems too, they build up a resistance, we put them on Practic and straightaway the fleas vanished and have not come back, on another note one of my terriers had a really bad reaction to the Frontline which resulted in him having some kind of turn, really frightening - as soon as he hears the foil paper coming off the flea treatment he bolts and hides!!

SNAP!
but not the bad reaction part, that sounds horrible.
Ronney, is it just your black cat that went a bit bald where the frontline was? ( or are all your cats black?) It's just our back ones and someone else mentioned it was a black cat as well...:confused:

Wee Farm

More
14 years 1 month ago #315539 by jen
Hi missab :) Thanks for posting! That sounds like great advice. I may ask my vet about getting singles. Plenty of syringes here, kept from when I was on my lsb. I do normally buy one packet for cats under 4kg and one packet for cats over 4kg, 3 of the cats are on the smaller side, so I'll check what happens in that case.

I used the BioDerm cream that I had for the affected cat. I only treated it twice cause it dried up nicely and started healing and was obviously not bothing him any more. (Poor lad is getting old, I think his eyesight isn't so good either.. silly bugger jumped up onto the toilet yesterday but the lid wasn't down and he fell in! He wasn't impressed at all!)

I may go back to just the flea stuff for some of the cats. They definitely don't seem to need it every month but as you said they are likely to need it a little more often than the worm tablets. With 6 cats sometimes it easier to use the combined stuff, and there are 2 of the 6 for whom the pills are just too much of an exercise (usually involving some post-tablet first aid for all involved!)

Frankly I'd love to give up on the liver flavoured worm pills too. They're so big and I've never had the nerve to try forcing a whole one down any of my cats. So it means I break it in half and have to put them through twice as much struggle. The smaller pills don't seem to treat tapeworm though? Does anyone know of any that do that aren't the big size?

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds