Cat - reaction to flea/worm treatment

More
13 years 10 months ago #21722 by jen
Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago I used a product called Advocate(tm) On my cats. It's a liquid squeeze on type think that does BOTH fleas AND worms. All seemed fine (6 of them) until a week or so later, one of the cats started 'chirping' like something was really bothering him. It became obvious that it was an itch type thing as he tried to get us to rub the itchy spot when we petted him. I couldn't see anything at the time but now there is some hair falling out around the application site (and maybe a bit wider (maybe about the size of an old 50 cent piece) and there's also a bit of a slightly moist scratched area. All up it doesn't look too bad, the skin itself apart from being flaky doesn't look raw or inflamed. The scratched bit just looks scratched, not infected or festering, but the cat still feels itchy I suspect.

I spent about $800-900 at the vet in December with 2 cats needing teeth out and this irritation looks ike something I may be able to soothe at home.

I know cats are highly allergic to tea tree oil so that rules that out and I need something that's safe to use on broken skin. Any suggestions?

I will keep a close eye on it and take him in if its getting worse or not improving in the next short while. The cat isn't very uncomfortable but I can tell it bugs him sometimes. Can arnica cream be used on broken skin? Its not a place that he'll be able to lick, but with the hair coming out he does get some stuck in his back claws so it is possible that he may ingest a bit of whatever I use.

Would appreciate any advice.

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #314264 by Kalmara
Wash the cat, then use active manuka honey or collidial silver

More
13 years 10 months ago #314265 by DiDi
No problems with Kalmara's advise but Rawleigh's salve would be another alternative if you have it.

More
13 years 10 months ago #314373 by The Kats Place
I use the same product and have never had a problem. Was it just the one cat of yours to react?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 10 months ago #314378 by clowder
give the area a good wash and a little coconut oil might help and wouldn't hurt the cat.

More
13 years 10 months ago #314390 by Ronney
Jen, I use Advantage by choice but have also used Advocate which I don't think is quite as good. That notwithstanding, both have had the occasional reaction on two of my cats - both black. It doesn't happen every time I use it and after the first couple of times I stopped worrying about it and let it take it's own course. None of my cats have died as a result of it[^]

But then I watch my cows when I use pour-on. That is obviously an irritant as well in that they twitch and try to get their head around to the source. Mine see me coming with the gun and pack and start to get upset before we've even started. The cats are the same and probably for the same reason.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 10 months ago #314438 by Simkin
We haven't had problems since we switched to Frontline. Seems to be a better product, too, as I don't get any lung irritation and the cats only need 3 or 4 treatments per season instead of 10 or so with Advantage.

Calendula flower cream would be what I'd try to use on the bald spot.

More
13 years 10 months ago #314441 by Xartep
I wouldn't use Rawleighs on a cat, I'm sure it has pine in it and this is a potential toxin for cats.
Wash with oat milk, (rolled oats soaked in hot water and then squeezed) then a Calendula cream. If you don't have the Calendula maybe some filtabac? It really depends where the spot is and whether the cat can lick it or not.
Or you could make a strong tea with Calendula flowers (Pot Marigolds) and plantain leaves and dab that on.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 10 months ago #314443 by Xartep
I haven't tried that yet but tried the other one and found it wasn't as good as Frontline as well. We are our vets worming register so the vet sends the tablets out whenever out anniversary comes up and I try to remember to administer them.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 10 months ago #314485 by jen
It was just the one cat who reacted. He's coming up to 15 years old soon, he tends to be flaky, dry skin I guess. Yes he's black, longhaired - wonder if there's something in that?

I have used advantage-multi plenty of times before without trouble. I dont know if something changed when they renamed the formulation to Advocate, or if the cat has just decided to develop a sensitivity now. I used Advocate on him once before with no trouble. This was the second time and I'd waited about 2 months (I only treat when they're showing signs of needing it). So who knows what happened.

I found some cream I'd had for another cat with a patch that wouldn't heal. Remembered last night that I still had it...Derm-something or other, with nitrofurazone in it I think. But it was vet grade and the decription sounded like it covered what I needed to treat, I actually think the cat seemed to get a bit if relief from it so I'll use it regularly over the next few days and then let it go to see if it heals on its own. Treating it properly meant I had my finger on it, and actually, it definitely more than a scratch, pretty raw I'd say. Will see how it goes. Poor lad.

I'd probably keep buying Advocate anyway, will just treat this lad with something else. I can probably do a flea only treatment on him and give him a tablet for worming if it comes to that. But for now I'm going to leave him well and truly alone until he's well healed (probably several months). I used to give them brewers yeast cause it supposedly deterred fleas but who knows!

Have another cat that reacted to Revolution, it must have reallty stung. She'd go bezerk, but then not have any skin or systemic symptoms afterwards. She's the reason we switched in the first place.

Thanks for the other advice, I have heaps of calendula growing around my veggie patch so can try some of those options too. I think Nitrofurazone is a little evil actually, but being a registered animal med I figured it's got to be safe enough to use.

More
13 years 10 months ago #314493 by Hawkspur
I have a cat that reacts to Frontline, but doesn't lose any hair - he twitches and pronks and flees. The area seems to itch. The reaction lasts for about a day.

More
13 years 10 months ago #314496 by jen
Yup, that's like my girl who reacted to Revolution, ran around like mad hiding under things like she was trying to get away from it. I stopped using it on her cause it seemed mean. She obviously hated it. With the last does Advocate I gave her it was like nothing had happened. Never even stopped purring. Gave her some treats anyway and she was happy as larry.

More
13 years 10 months ago #314503 by BillyTheTractor
We have a similar thing with our 2 black cats, but it is with frontline. They both go bald where we put it and both of them, every summer lose a lot of hair from their back legs - vet is rather stumped!

As an aside, we were using Frontline on our dogs ( doing the summer monthly dose as they recommend) - at vast expense as we have three - and were infested with fleas, in the house and could see them crawling on the dogs, we were picking them off! We bombed the house, washed all bedding but still the same. We then changed to one called Practic and it worked almost instantly. You get practic for cats too so we're going to give it a go to see if they still go bald.

Wee Farm

More
13 years 10 months ago #314520 by Simkin
There might be a bit of resistance out there by the sounds of this.

More
13 years 10 months ago #314530 by jen
Wow! That's nasty BTT! Ick. Be interested in hearing if your baldness problem goes away.

Its crazy how expensive these things are. I get depressed (well..not really ;) ) everytime I have to go in and buy another round. I've got to do all 6 at once or there's no point right. The receptionist at my other vet had taken to showing me the amount rather than saying it...she said it was tooo much to say out loud :)

The thing that mekes it seem worse though is the amount of packaging! For pete's sake, cut down on the amout of rubbish and give me a 20cent discount or something! You could fit 15 tubes in one of those boxes! But no.. it holds 3! Grrrrrr.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds